SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-08-13, 02:55 PM   #121
Bothersome
Planesman

Downloads: 64
Uploads: 0

I'd like to report that most everything is working as expected for me.

But I'd also like to report a few quirks that don't seem to be related to a mods but more the program from Ubisoft not loading in all the parts at a game load.

For instance, this is my current mod layout...
Quote:
FX_Update_0_0_21_ByTheDarkWraith
Remove Electric Torpedo Wakes
sobers see thru wake fix
SteelViking's Interior Mod V1.2
SteelViking's Interior Mod V1.2.1 Patch
Torpedo_Speed_Abilitie_Fix_for_TDC_SH5_v120
OPEN HORIZONS II_full v2
NewUIs_TDC_7_1_0_ByTheDarkWraith
R.E.M_by_Xrundel_TheBeast_1.2
TDW_Ship_Inertia_1_1_0
IRAI_0_0_39_ByTheDarkWraith (with patch)
IRAI_0_0_39_Inertia_Damage
DynEnv v2.9 - 1. Main Mod
DynEnv v2.9 - 3.b Enhanced Visibility (high)
DynEnv v2.9 - 3.b No Underwater Impurity Patch
DynEnv v2.9 - 4.a Camera Filters - Realistic Colors
DynEnv v2.9 - 5.a Ambient Settings - Darker Nights
DynEnv v2.9 - 10.I Seafloor (high resolution)
DynEnv v2.9 - 11.a.I Sea Plants - Atlantic Kelp Forests (high resolution)
DynEnv v2.9 - 12. Sounds
R.E.M. - hydrophone mute for player fix (TDW compatible)
One time I loaded the game (continue campaign) and my flags were not waving and some ships didn't have a texture paint on them. Another time I loaded the saved game and the sounds for spoken words was silent. And everytime you leave the bunker from starting a new patrol, the sub paint/coatings don't get loaded so a save at sea and reload the save gets that back going again. Also I've noticed that when you go into SH5 and if you go to continue campaign too quickly, the sound will not work when the game gets loaded in and running. But waiting about 5 seconds fixes that. To get my flags waving again, simply go back to the main menu and load the game again, giving the computer time to settle a bit first (like 5 seconds or so). Then things tend to be working as expected most times.

The point being, that sometimes we see errors in our games and blame them on the mods. When it seems to me, that sometimes, the mods are not at fault but more shoddy developement rearing it's ugly head from Ubisoft.
Bothersome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-13, 12:50 PM   #122
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Steel View Post
So far, after sailing 4 hrs, all seems to be just fine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bothersome View Post
I'd like to report that most everything is working as expected for me.
Thank you friends for you reports

despite your nice words, I am getting convinced that DynEnv is unduly reducing rain occurrence, and I also think I know from where this issue could come from. Since the release of the new version, we had two contrasting reports on this topic: one, by Dogfish, who is compaining scarce precipitations, and one by Bothersome who, on the contrary, experienced abnormal storms.

Now, I think this issue deserves better attenction, but in order address it I need for your help.

From now on, can you please guys report here every time you occur in a rain storm during your campaigns?

Current wind speed, date and location (either as lat/long coordinates or, even better, as MQK grid) are required informations. Rough information on the game days elapsed from the last rain and on patrol routes followed in the meanwhile, highly appreciated.

The more information we collect, the more likely we will discover if something is wrong, and hot to solve the issue. Thank you for your cooperation!
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-13, 08:46 PM   #123
Bothersome
Planesman

OK I have something to report.

Just crashed again and I think it's from the weather. In the OHII thread I said I had a crash from an airplane but I think it was the weather that was/is causing it. Because it just happened again but with no plane...

Almost to the Horn of Africa about 200-300 km out on the west side. When I saw the airplane on the first crash, the crash happened about 1 second after I closed the map. I had noticed that the weather was Overcast on the message box but when I was on topside, I noticed the sound of thunder but no rain.

This time I noticed heavy rain and 15 m/s winds so I was going to record the location and time for you. The time was March 25, 1943 about 6am. I was going to write down the exact location but by the time I grabbed my notebook, the game crashed out to desktop. I was on topside with the map closed just as before. Overcast with thunder and this time plenty of rain falling. Didn't last but about 2 or 3 seconds before dumping me out.

I had been on patrol now for 24 days and this is the first rain storm I have come into on this patrol.
Old 03-09-13, 08:55 PM   #124
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
OK I have something to report.

Just crashed again and I think it's from the weather. In the OHII thread I said I had a crash from an airplane but I think it was the weather that was/is causing it. Because it just happened again but with no plane...

Almost to the Horn of Africa about 200-300 km out on the west side. When I saw the airplane on the first crash, the crash happened about 1 second after I closed the map. I had noticed that the weather was Overcast on the message box but when I was on topside, I noticed the sound of thunder but no rain.

This time I noticed heavy rain and 15 m/s winds so I was going to record the location and time for you. The time was March 25, 1943 about 6am. I was going to write down the exact location but by the time I grabbed my notebook, the game crashed out to desktop. I was on topside with the map closed just as before. Overcast with thunder and this time plenty of rain falling. Didn't last but about 2 or 3 seconds before dumping me out.

I had been on patrol now for 24 days and this is the first rain storm I have come into on this patrol.
a few questions:

- the first time the game crashed, was it with the same weather and/or date/time?
- what was your tc during both crahes?
- can you please reload the last save, and see if the game crashes again?
- if you make in time... coordinates please
Old 03-09-13, 09:13 PM   #125
Bothersome
Planesman

-Yes
-at first it was at 64x and then pause then to 1x on first crash
second crash was at 128x then to 1x
both times the crash was after closing the map in being on top bridge
-I'm doing it now. Area is about the same about 850 km out from horn
coords are right at about 33S by 13E

But at the moment I have overcast with thunder and no rain. Light fog 7 m/s winds. day is march 24.

Both crashes were on march 25 and i bit closer to the horn.

I'll try to save often on another hard save and report more.

Added/Edited...

OK im at
36,46'S by 19,10'E course 110 Speed 13
March 26 02:13 GMT.
Overcast, Precip Heavy, Fog Light, Winds 15, Direction 52

I got all that by pausing the game after seeing it pop up from 128x TC

I'm about to close the map (have to to save) but thought I'd gather the info before I do so in case of crash...
here goes...
Good news, no crash this time.
Waves are very high, almost drowning my ppl on watch.

Last edited by Bothersome; 03-09-13 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-09-13, 09:46 PM   #126
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Quote:
-Yes

But at the moment I have overcast with thunder and no rain. Light fog 7 m/s winds. day is march 24.

If you are running windows 7 right click the SH5 EXE and go to properties / compatability . Change to compatible with windows 7 and run as administrator . See if this helps with the ctds .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-13, 09:57 PM   #127
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
-Yes
You are not the first one reporting a ctd while being on map.
The first one was Wetton, but it resulted that his ctd was sound related. By any chance, have you a crash log?

Quote:
Those coordinates point to an area ca. 550km WNW of Cape of Good Hope. Is that correct? I thought you were nowhere near there

I think the best way is if you give me the MQK grid using illyustrator's mod. Even better if you post a screenie showing your position on map with the same mod enabled. In this way, it will be easier for me to locate exactly your area on the ClimateZones map (by overlaying illyustrators map on the climate zones map). I may appear a bit picky, but a difference of a few miles can make a big difference, as far as climate zones are concerned.

Quote:

keep me informed, and if you keep having ctd's check if changing route will bypass the problem
Old 03-09-13, 10:55 PM   #128
Bothersome
Planesman

No it's not generating a crash log.
Using Windows 7 with 16G of RAM 4GHz x 6 processor.

Right now the rain finally stopped on March 28 at 00:00 GMT roughly. Position is 28.5 E and 37.75 S. Fog is medium with winds at 15 still.

Going roughly due east.

I haven't been able to get a screen shot for some time now. I don't think the printscreen key is binded or something. Nothing seems to happen. I know I've taken lots of screen shots before... F12 (from steam) does nothing here either.

I have not had any other crashes than those two I posted about already.

But I wonder, when it rains, is it alway going to be hurricane weather? Will we ever get rain and fog without the high winds and waves?

I downloaded the mod but there is not enough information posted about it to make me want it. I'd like to have the german map but I don't want to complicate the crashing or other problems. Plus it's not real clear on what components it wants and should have installed. What options? What do they do? Not enough info there for me to make an informed decision.
Old 03-10-13, 01:40 AM   #129
Bothersome
Planesman

New weather report...

April 2, 1943 17:00 GMT

Pos. 28d 29m S by 52d 10m E <-- fixed in edit

Rain Heavy, Fog Heavy, Overcast, Wind 15

U-71 currently tracking a single merchant on southern heading
--------------
Edited/Added...
New report...

April 4, 1700 GMT

Pos 24d 26m S by 60d 34m E

Rain None, Fog Medium, Partial Clouds, Wind 15

Last edited by Bothersome; 03-10-13 at 02:34 AM.
Old 03-10-13, 03:10 AM   #130
Silent Steel
Sea Lord

Downloads: 618
@ Bothersome

Silent Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-13, 10:58 AM   #131
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
No it's not generating a crash log.
Using Windows 7 with 16G of RAM 4GHz x 6 processor.
I think you get crash log by activating debug mode in New UI's options

Quote:
I haven't been able to get a screen shot for some time now. I don't think the printscreen key is binded or something. Nothing seems to happen. I know I've taken lots of screen shots before... F12 (from steam) does nothing here either.
Ctrl F11

using for non-steam version of the game here, but steam version should use the same conbination.

I have not had any other crashes than those two I posted about already.

Quote:
But I wonder, when it rains, is it alway going to be hurricane weather? Will we ever get rain and fog without the high winds and waves?
yes, I wonder the same. I start suspecting that weind and rain are strictly interconnected in game

Quote:
I downloaded the mod but there is not enough information posted about it to make me want it. I'd like to have the german map but I don't want to complicate the crashing or other problems. Plus it's not real clear on what components it wants and should have installed. What options? What do they do? Not enough info there for me to make an informed decision.
Are you talking about the MQK mod by Illyustrator? I strongly recommend you to use it. Atm it only changes the raw maps overlayed on the navigation map for showing ocean depths and land elevations. As tested, actual depths are not affected and no other adverse effect was reported. If you look at some screenies posted by Trevally in OHII's thread, you will notice that he uses it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Steel View Post
I think Bothersome has actually joined the Monsun Gruppe
Old 03-10-13, 11:03 AM   #132
OldSeaDog
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 9
Default nice

Look really Cool...good job
OldSeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-13, 01:26 PM   #133
gap
Navy Seal

Okay, time to process the reports sent from the harsh waters of the Indian Ocean by our Klt. Bothersome and his weather boat

Quote:
OK im at
36,46'S by 19,10'E course 110 Speed 13
March 26 02:13 GMT.
Overcast, Precip Heavy, Fog Light, Winds 15, Direction 52
This is just S of the Cape.

Climate zone: warm temperate climate southern
Your current season: autumn

Weather zone: should be warm temperate southern (high winds)
Min-MaxWeatherChangeInterval = 3-12 h
Min-Max WindSpeed = 1-15 m/s

Quote:
New weather report...

April 2, 1943 17:00 GMT

Pos. 28d 29m S by 52d 10m E <-- fixed in edit

Rain Heavy, Fog Heavy, Overcast, Wind 15
This is past the southern coast of Madagascar, heading E

Climate zone: either warm or hot temperate climate southern.
In both cases the season is still autumn

Weather zone: either warm temperate southern (moderate wind) or hot temperate southern (moderate wind).

in both cases:
Min-Max WindSpeed = 1-13 m/s

Quote:
New report...

April 4, 1700 GMT

Pos 24d 26m S by 60d 34m E

Rain None, Fog Medium, Partial Clouds, Wind 15
Position as per SSteel map

Climate zone: either warm or hot temperate climate southern.
In either case, the season is still autumn

Weather zone: either one of the weather zones listed for your second report, warm temperate southern high winds (as per your first report), or hot temperate southern high winds 1 (1 stands for narrow seasonal variability):

hot temperate southern high winds 1:
Min-Max WindSpeed = 1-14 m/s

Some remarks:

1. so far, it seems that heavy rain is always connected with 15 m/s wind speed

2. maximum wind speed seems to happen even where we wouldn't expect it (weather zone max wind speed set to lesser than 15; see second report). Two possible explainations:

2.a heavy rain can induce high wind speeds, even in zones with max wind speed lesser than 15;
2.b once heavy rain/high wind speed have started, they follow you until they end their cycle, no matter if in the meanwhile you moved to an area where wind speed range have been narrowed down to lesser than 15 m/s

Unfortunately, in many cases I am not able to determine your current climate/weather zone as I don't know how to convert lat/long coordinates to the Mercator-like projection used in SH5 (any idea anyone?).

Had you posted a screenie of your map with MQK enabled, you would have done things a bit easier for me. The more zoomed in the map view, the better
Old 03-10-13, 02:01 PM   #134
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Unfortunately, in many cases I am not able to determine your current climate/weather zone as I don't know how to convert lat/long coordinates to the Mercator-like projection used in SH5 (any idea anyone?).
http://www.mediafire.com/?5326uxsd3ollbvc

TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-13, 02:07 PM   #135
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post

Thank you man, you are our deus ex machina

Tags