SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-14-23, 11:33 PM   #1
sortofredhead
Bosun

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 0
Default Very Confused On TMO modding

I have just started back into SH4.

I have SH4 1.5 installed fresh. I looked at board and decided to try the TMO Mod. Candidly after downloading, reading the "read me's" and seeing all the different patches, I have become straight up confused. I could use some assistance please.

I have TMO 2.5 (and all the mods that came with it). Are all these required mods that came with it the latest and correct versions to use? Ie EAX, Nav Map TMO Mod and its update, Radio Messages, etc
I have the TMO 2.5 patch also.

Are there any other compatible add on mods that work with TMO 2.5 that you would suggest that would add to the game experience?

Thank you for any help one might have.
sortofredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-23, 09:47 AM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sortofredhead View Post
I have just started back into SH4.

I have SH4 1.5 installed fresh. I looked at board and decided to try the TMO Mod. Candidly after downloading, reading the "read me's" and seeing all the different patches, I have become straight up confused. I could use some assistance please.

I have TMO 2.5 (and all the mods that came with it). Are all these required mods that came with it the latest and correct versions to use? Ie EAX, Nav Map TMO Mod and its update, Radio Messages, etc
I have the TMO 2.5 patch also.

Are there any other compatible add on mods that work with TMO 2.5 that you would suggest that would add to the game experience?

Thank you for any help one might have.
your choice of additional mods to TMO 2.5 is personal choice. just make sure that the mod is TMO 2.5 compatible. it should that. if you are unsure, try it out, and if you encounter bad results or a CTD (crash to desktop), then back off that mod.

it is generally accepted that you use a 4 gig enhancement tool such as LAA, which can be found in the MODS forum under LAA or Large Address Aware.

also, it is generally accepted that you use JSGME to manage your mods. it can also be had her in the MODS forum.

back to TMO 2.5. for comparisons sake, here is my current config for 2.5.
Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Ubisoft\TMO_2_5\MODS]

100 TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5
101 1.5_Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for TMO 2.5
102 1.5_OTC for 16 to 9 Aspect Ratio_TMO
104 EZ Plot V2.0
300 RSRD ver 5 for TMO
301 RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
400 Webster's Eliminate Floating Plankton
450 jimimadrid Torpedos

good luck,

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-23, 03:38 PM   #3
sortofredhead
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
your choice of additional mods to TMO 2.5 is personal choice. just make sure that the mod is TMO 2.5 compatible. it should that. if you are unsure, try it out, and if you encounter bad results or a CTD (crash to desktop), then back off that mod.

it is generally accepted that you use a 4 gig enhancement tool such as LAA, which can be found in the MODS forum under LAA or Large Address Aware.

also, it is generally accepted that you use JSGME to manage your mods. it can also be had her in the MODS forum.

back to TMO 2.5. for comparisons sake, here is my current config for 2.5.
Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Ubisoft\TMO_2_5\MODS]

100 TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5
101 1.5_Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for TMO 2.5
102 1.5_OTC for 16 to 9 Aspect Ratio_TMO
104 EZ Plot V2.0
300 RSRD ver 5 for TMO
301 RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
400 Webster's Eliminate Floating Plankton
450 jimimadrid Torpedos

good luck,
Thank you for your response. in looking at your list, I notice that you did not have the TMO 2.5 patch 1 or the Nav Map TMO Update and its patch. My understanding was that these were "necessary" to play TMO 2.5. Is that not the case?

One last question, can you briefly tell me what the RSRDC mod adds to your game experience please?

Thanks again
Old 03-15-23, 04:39 PM   #4
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Thank you for your response. in looking at your list, I notice that you did not have the TMO 2.5 patch 1 or the Nav Map TMO Update and its patch. My understanding was that these were "necessary" to play TMO 2.5. Is that not the case?
i have TMO 2.5 running version 3.5. it's complicated.
check the Documentation folder in the TMO Mod folder for Version Change Logs.
you may running with a higher "version" also.

Quote:
One last question, can you briefly tell me what the RSRDC mod adds to your game experience please?

Thanks again
RSRD (Run Silent Run Deep) is another pseudo-realism layer.
it adds a lot of stuff (technical term) to TMO.
there are several versions of RSRD, each tailored to a specific mega-mod.
i've zipped and uploaded the RSRD Support folder for you to peruse at your leisure.
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...=6310&act=down

LAA enabled
Old 03-15-23, 05:19 PM   #5
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211

The TMO 25 patch is only for TMO alone, not with RSRDC.

If you use RSRDC, you donīt need that patch.

Suggestion: why you do not try TMO Bublehead Version? (the "BH" version of TMO).

An enhanced TMO with easier install and great stuff. With this mod you donīt use RSRDC.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-23, 03:43 PM   #6
sortofredhead
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post

Suggestion: why you do not try TMO Bublehead Version? (the "BH" version of TMO).

An enhanced TMO with easier install and great stuff. With this mod you donīt use RSRDC.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo
Thank you for your input
Old 03-16-23, 03:56 PM   #7
sortofredhead
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo
Actually I downloaded TMO Update BH 2.0 megamod, which is the one you are referencing, right? I also downloaded the TMO Update BH V2.0 PATCH 01 and TMO Update BH README REVISED9302021. These are all I need for the version of TMO BH? Thank you.
Old 03-16-23, 06:47 PM   #8
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211

Quote:
Actually I downloaded TMO Update BH 2.0 megamod, which is the one you are referencing, right? I also downloaded the TMO Update BH V2.0 PATCH 01 and TMO Update BH README REVISED9302021. These are all I need for the version of TMO BH? Thank you.
Only the v2 update and patch 01. The readme is a help file. In the TMO BH thread there is a "how to" with the installation with JSGME.

Regards

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-23, 06:04 PM   #9
sortofredhead
Bosun

Default have TMOBH Installed But Loading a Saved Game CTD

I installed SH4 on my D: drive, not under programs as I saw may assist avoiding this CTD, BUT it hasn't changed a thing. Still get CTD on saved games. I have also saved games with unique names, not as saveovers.

Very frustrating as this appears to be the norm and makes SH$ unplayable. Are there any other fixes I am missing here?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-18-23, 06:48 PM   #10
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
I installed SH4 on my D: drive, not under programs as I saw may assist avoiding this CTD, BUT it hasn't changed a thing. Still get CTD on saved games. I have also saved games with unique names, not as saveovers.

Very frustrating as this appears to be the norm and makes SH$ unplayable. Are there any other fixes I am missing here?

i have experienced the same frustration with TMO_BH.
this is not a complaining email and no offense intended to bubblehead who has put in innumerable hours into this mod, but i, too, have experienced specious CTD's.
for example, i will torpedo a ship or two ships. then at the next encounter, i launch a torpedo and ten seconds later, a slight hesitation, and CTD.
then there is the depth charge "thing". sometimes, we can endure a depth charge attack and sometimes, it is a CTD attack.
these are known issues to BH and, as i said above, this is not a complaint email, merely a commiseration email to a fellow-player.
i am sure that he is working on resolving them and i suspect that RL has intruded on that effort.

LAA enabled
Old 03-18-23, 07:27 PM   #11
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:

Are you attempting to load saved games from before you had TMOBH activated? Is so, that will not work properly. After changing mod sets, you do have to either delete the old Save folder (C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4), or use MultiSH4 v1.5 and create a newly named Save folder for the modded game.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-23, 11:34 AM   #12
sortofredhead
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Are you attempting to load saved games from before you had TMOBH activated? Is so, that will not work properly. After changing mod sets, you do have to either delete the old Save folder (C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4), or use MultiSH4 v1.5 and create a newly named Save folder for the modded game.
I had deleted the old save games (SavedGames folder). I did not delete the folder, but there were no files left in it after I deleted the files. Then I started a career over, where I saved games. It was those games that CTD when I tried to get back into the career.

I notice that in the documents/SH4 folder there is also a folder called RichSavedGames. Am I supposed to delete games from that folder as well?
Thank you for your continued assistance.
Old 03-19-23, 12:06 PM   #13
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

There are a few files that can ~sometimes~ (emphasis on "sometimes") be kept from the Save folder, but it is easier and best to just delete the whole structure. The game itself runs off of the Save folder data, and any leftovers can and will cause trouble, including those select few files at times. The RichSavedGames folders are binary files that should especially be deleted, since they hold data from the previous saves and configuration. After you delete the folder, the structure is rebuilt by the game, and you do have to set your configuration choices for gameplay, screen size, etc., but even keeping those few files can be problematic if there are changes in those basic files from a mod's config. I know of several mods do in fact change those files. It is best to be indiscriminate and just delete the whole Save structure when changing major mods, or as mentioned, using MultiSH4 to set a new folder structure.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-23, 10:51 PM   #14
sortofredhead
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
There are a few files that can ~sometimes~ (emphasis on "sometimes") be kept from the Save folder, but it is easier and best to just delete the whole structure. The game itself runs off of the Save folder data, and any leftovers can and will cause trouble, including those select few files at times. The RichSavedGames folders are binary files that should especially be deleted, since they hold data from the previous saves and configuration. After you delete the folder, the structure is rebuilt by the game, and you do have to set your configuration choices for gameplay, screen size, etc., but even keeping those few files can be problematic if there are changes in those basic files from a mod's config. I know of several mods do in fact change those files. It is best to be indiscriminate and just delete the whole Save structure when changing major mods, or as mentioned, using MultiSH4 to set a new folder structure.
I deleted both the SavedGames and RichSaved games folders and started over and had no issues except had CTD when a jap Destroyer dropped some distant depth charges. Thank you for your help.
Old 03-20-23, 10:54 PM   #15
sortofredhead
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
i have experienced the same frustration with TMO_BH.
this is not a complaining email and no offense intended to bubblehead who has put in innumerable hours into this mod, but i, too, have experienced specious CTD's.
for example, i will torpedo a ship or two ships. then at the next encounter, i launch a torpedo and ten seconds later, a slight hesitation, and CTD.
then there is the depth charge "thing". sometimes, we can endure a depth charge attack and sometimes, it is a CTD attack.
these are known issues to BH and, as i said above, this is not a complaint email, merely a commiseration email to a fellow-player.
i am sure that he is working on resolving them and i suspect that RL has intruded on that effort.

I know that you were certainly not complaining about the mod. I got some things reworked and did fine until a Jap Destroyer dropped a few distant depth charges and I got a CTD. Fired all my torpedoes in first patrol at various depth settings and contact settings and got absolutely 0 hits at close ranges. It seemed that all went under the ships no matter what depth setting I used. Oh well!!