SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-03-23, 10:25 PM   #1
D-Jones
Gunner

Downloads: 150
Uploads: 0
Default Installing Mods--

Does anyone here have the game and mods installed in Program Files? Does it work? I'm playing using TMO and RSRDC with the game installed in Program Files. What I've found is that when the war begins until the the first mission ends in Surabaya, the mods work perfectly. Enemy convoys/merchants are very active. After I end the mission and refit in Surabaya, they disappear. No matter where I'm sent, there's nothing there.

I'm thinking that this is a result of the game being installed in Programs x86. Having a single drive, Steam gives me no option that I see to install it anywhere else. I get a "Steam is already installed on this drive" message, so I have two questions really--1\ Are people running these mods in Program Files? Do they work? 2\ Is there a way to install the game outside of Program Files with a single drive?

Any help would be appreciated. The game and the mods are great I'd like to actually play them.
D-Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-23, 12:34 AM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 434
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Jones View Post
Does anyone here have the game and mods installed in Program Files? Does it work? I'm playing using TMO and RSRDC with the game installed in Program Files. What I've found is that when the war begins until the the first mission ends in Surabaya, the mods work perfectly. Enemy convoys/merchants are very active. After I end the mission and refit in Surabaya, they disappear. No matter where I'm sent, there's nothing there.

I'm thinking that this is a result of the game being installed in Programs x86. Having a single drive, Steam gives me no option that I see to install it anywhere else. I get a "Steam is already installed on this drive" message, so I have two questions really--1\ Are people running these mods in Program Files? Do they work? 2\ Is there a way to install the game outside of Program Files with a single drive?

Any help would be appreciated. The game and the mods are great I'd like to actually play them.
installing Ubi products into the default Microsoft Program folder will guarantee that it will not work properly.

Berbster has an excellent thread with wisdom on that subject.
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=219029

this thread is also good reading. https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=233131

i, myself, install by SH games to C:\Ubisoft\SH3 or SH4 or TMO or FOTRSU.
the additional installations of the same game are made possible by using MultiSH and replicating a clean install.
Read the Berbster.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-23, 06:36 AM   #3
D-Jones
Gunner

So, if I were to buy the game from Ubisoft (it's just 10 bucks) and install it outside of the damn Program Files folders, e.g.-C:/Games/SH/TMO/RSRDC, it should work? If so, I'll spring for the 10 bucks. Hate Microsoft though--on principle.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-04-23, 06:57 AM   #4
boapiu
Seaman

Downloads: 51
Default copied from post by propbeanie

The default install path for Steam is into the C:\ drive in a "Program Files" directory, which on all "modern" versions of Windows, is a protected directory, and Windows will restore most of the altered files back to their original state. If you're Steam install is in there, you'll have to use your Steam app to add a library folder for your Silent Hunter install that is not in that Program Files folder. On a different drive is best, if available. You can also move folders, and then tell Steam about the move, such as:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...hp?p_faqid=231

I moved my whole Steam install when I did that on my laptop. Thing is, it re-creates all the online info, right back in a C:\Program Files \Steam folder, and in the new folder, so it takes a while... Read the whole thing a couple-three times so that it's stamped in your brain for more than 2 seconds (applies to old fahrtz like me). I even printed it out for reference as I went along...

If you've got a 2nd hard drive though, the first method there, where they describe adding a Library folder is the quickest, most efficient way to go.

I don’t know if this helps but it appears that you can move the steam install into a different folder on the same drive.
boapiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-23, 12:29 PM   #5
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Downloads: 95

I have my steam in program files, but it's on a non C: disk. What you can do is uninstall the game via steam, then use the option to re-install it in C: steam library instead of buying another copy.
Open up steam, rightclick on the Sh4 game(wolves of the pacific), click manage. Uninstall. Then I would delete the SH4 folder in "my documents" folder. Reboot. open up steam. install the game into C:Steam library. There will be an option.

Last edited by 1Patriotofmany; 03-04-23 at 12:41 PM.
1Patriotofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-23, 12:41 PM   #6
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patriotofmany View Post
I have my steam in program files, but it's on a non C: disk. What you can do is uninstall the game via steam, then use the option to re-install it in C: steam library instead of buying another copy.
Open up steam, rightclick on the Sh4 game, click manage. Uninstall. Then I would delete the SH4 folder in "my documents" folder. Reboot. open up steam. install the game into C:Steam library. There will be an option.
i believe you can move the SH4 installation to a new folder.
Berbster has some excellent direction here.

LAA enabled
Old 03-04-23, 12:44 PM   #7
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
i believe you can move the SH4 installation to a new folder.
Berbster has some excellent direction here.
When I try that it only gives the option to move it to another drive. He wants to use C: Talking about using the steam interface. Yeah you can copy everything to another folder, I do that routinely with every mod I use. Every mod has it's own complete installation but he still needs to get the base program out of C: program files. Easiest way for me was to use the steam inferface to uninstall it and put the base program in steam library
Old 03-04-23, 12:48 PM   #8
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patriotofmany View Post
When I try that it only gives the option to move it to another drive. He wants to use C: Talking about using the steam interface. Yeah you can copy everything to another folder, I do that routinely with every mod I use.
well, then, i do not know the answer.
someone with more Steam experience must read your post.

have you tried a browser-level search, using keywords such as Subsim Steam Move Drive?

i've had much better success finding answers with that technique than using the forum search. (my apologies, Neal)

LAA enabled
Old 03-04-23, 02:08 PM   #9
D-Jones
Gunner

As mentioned, I have a single drive. It was never a factor before. Now I find it locks me into their bizarre Program Files folders that have a spooky mind and will of their own with Steam games. By far the quickest and easiest option for me is to just buy another SH4 directly from Ubisoft for 10 bucks and install it to-C:\Games (a folder that I create)/SH4/TMO/RSRDC. For those with more experience, would that download path work? When it comes to computers, there's always a "No, because..." that bights me in the you know what.

As to Microsoft, this is what a rules and regs-"For your own protection" society does. It makes the simple ridiculously complex. It turns the world into a DMV.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-04-23, 02:32 PM   #10
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Quote:
As mentioned, I have a single drive. It was never a factor before. Now I find it locks me into their bizarre Program Files folders that have a spooky mind and will of their own with Steam games. By far the quickest and easiest option for me is to just buy another SH4 directly from Ubisoft for 10 bucks and install it to-C:\Games (a folder that I create)/SH4/TMO/RSRDC. For those with more experience, would that download path work? When it comes to computers, there's always a "No, because..." that bights me in the you know what.

As to Microsoft, this is what a rules and regs-"For your own protection" society does. It makes the simple ridiculously complex. It turns the world into a DMV.

Thanks for the replies.
I've detailed the easiest way. Use the steam interface, uninstall. Remove the SH4 folder in my documents manually. reboot. reinstall using the steam interface to C: steam library. The option is there.
Old 03-04-23, 02:42 PM   #11
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Here's a game I haven't installed, after you hit install, near the bottom notice choose location to install
Old 03-04-23, 04:44 PM   #12
D-Jones
Gunner

Patriot, it doesn't give me that option. I've tried. I've tried 5 times. I get a message "Selected drive already has a Steam library folder. Steam will manage multiple game installs in a single folder for you". They should add--"Or else".

I'm done putzing around with this. I have a single question--if I buy another SH4 directly from Ubisoft, uninstall the Steam version and install the Ubisoft version of SH4 to C:/ Games/ SH4/MODS, will it work, or is there some mind-numbing reason that makes NO SENSE that it won't? That will take me 10 minutes. Any other will have me cursing and throwing stuff around.

Thanks.
Old 03-05-23, 01:05 PM   #13
1Patriotofmany
Commander

I would probably try cutting and pasting the entire steam folder from program files to the steam library file. then if it doesn't recognize you moved it, change the short cut to point to it. Or just buy another drive. they're cheap enough.
Old 03-05-23, 02:21 PM   #14
D-Jones
Gunner

Just an update--I bought another copy of SH4-"Gold Edition" directly from Ubisoft (10 bucks). I installed it to C:\Ubisoft Game Launcher\Games\SH4--the hell out of Program Files. I'm assuming this should do it, but whenever I assume with Microsoft/computers, there's always a-"No, because..." that follows. Going to reinstall TMO and RSRDC now. If there's a reason that this won't work, can someone let me know?

Sorry for the hassle. It's just aggravating finding a game you like and having something that shouldn't be an issue become an overriding issue. Getting these mods to work has become the Moby Dick to my Ahab. My wife said she'll get me a peg leg.

Thanks.
Old 03-05-23, 06:44 PM   #15
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Quote:
Just an update--I bought another copy of SH4-"Gold Edition" directly from Ubisoft (10 bucks). I installed it to C:\Ubisoft Game Launcher\Games\SH4--the hell out of Program Files. I'm assuming this should do it, but whenever I assume with Microsoft/computers, there's always a-"No, because..." that follows. Going to reinstall TMO and RSRDC now. If there's a reason that this won't work, can someone let me know?

Sorry for the hassle. It's just aggravating finding a game you like and having something that shouldn't be an issue become an overriding issue. Getting these mods to work has become the Moby Dick to my Ahab. My wife said she'll get me a peg leg.

Thanks.
Make sure you install Large Address Aware and Multish4, The latter if you didn't delete the SH4 folder from "my docuuments". I would anyway in case you install another mod in the future. I always make a new folder for each mod copied from the original install which I don't touch. But that up to you.