SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-09-23, 05:30 PM   #1
D-Jones
Gunner

Downloads: 149
Uploads: 0
Default Where are the Convoys?

Maybe it's a bad download, but since I installed. reinstalled and re-reinstalled TMO, the Japanese seem to be hiding in Tokyo. Same thing happens with RFB. I'm sent on a patrol to what should be a busy area (the Luzon Strait-1941) and they're nowhere. Wherever I'm sent, they're nowhere. Is this usual, or should I uninstall/reinstall the entire game and try again? I'm sailing all over the Pacific and getting lonely.

Thanks.
D-Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-23, 08:46 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Had you played the game at all before you activated TMO? Are you seeing a "Galloping Ghost of the Chinese Coast" artwork splash screen when starting TMO? RFB has "stock" traffic, unless you add RSRDC to it, but TMO has its own "layer" files for the traffic. They are not compatible with each other. As such, after you activate the mod (or alter them), you should empty the Save game folder, which is usually C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4 so that the game "refreshes" the data there with the TMO data next time youi start the game. Then start a new career.

Now, another thing, which folder do you have SH4 installed in? You cannot be in a Program Files folder, including the Steam version, so that Windows will leave your mods alone. You have to install the game in a folder you create, such as "C:\Games". Otherwise, Windows will "rollback" your mod activation, leaving you with a partial game partial mod Frankenstein's Monster...

Final note, the Luzon Straits were not very busy in 1941. Most of the invasion forces for the Philippines came from the Pescadores, west of Formosa, or from Palau for the East side of the archipelago. It wouldn't be until after the middle of 1942 before there would be much traffic getting "choked" there, as Japan was benefiting from their "southern possessions". The Formosa Strait would be a place to be though, or off Bungo or Kii Suido by Shikoku, or south of Tokyo on the Mariannas traffic lane - which also "fed" Truk and points east.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-23, 10:09 PM   #3
D-Jones
Gunner

I had played the "stock" version before and there might have been a saved game still there. I'll make sure there isn't when I reinstall. I get the Galloping Ghost opening screen. The game's installed in Program 86. The mod looks and works great. It's just the lack of (as in no) convoys thing, which is a pretty big thing. It was probably due to something I did. Had a feeling it was. You confirmed that scarce convoys, as in playing for an hour without seeing one, isn't normal. That's what I wanted to know.

I'll reinstall it again. Thanks for your reply!
Old 02-10-23, 01:25 AM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The game being in Program Files means that Windows "sees" the changes that JSGME makes to your game install, and then reaches in there and puts back every cfg and ini file it finds changed. That is one of the reasons you are not seeing traffic. When you re-install, put the game in your own folder, not the default. There is usually a "path" dialog where you are asked where you want to install the program. If it is a Steam game and you have a valid 2nd hard drive in the machine, you can add another Steam Library and install the game there. Refer to Moving a Steam Installation and Games - it can get rather involved. With the right circumstances, you can sometimes copy a Steam SH4 game install folder and paste it elsewhere on your hard drive and use a shortcut you make yourself for easy starting, but some installs will not cooperate. The Ubisoft install and the disk install both can be done like that. Use MultiSH4 if you want to try to have multiple SH4 copies of your SH4 folder, each with their own mod set and unique Save folder. That might be a subject for later, after you get up and running with one mod...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-23, 12:04 PM   #5
D-Jones
Gunner

Thanks, propbeanie. It seems to be working fine now after I reinstalled the game/mod. I only have one drive at the moment. Been looking at Youtube vids to see how to move it out of Program Files and/or install multiple copies of the game on a single drive. Most vids assume everyone has multiple drives. I'll keep looking.

As mentioned though, so far, so good. I'm chasing a merchant and two destroyers now. If they want anyone chasing them, it's me. Still a shaky sub commander (my crew keeps giving me dirty looks).
Old 02-11-23, 08:43 AM   #6
1Patriotofmany
XO

Downloads: 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Jones View Post
Thanks, propbeanie. It seems to be working fine now after I reinstalled the game/mod. I only have one drive at the moment. Been looking at Youtube vids to see how to move it out of Program Files and/or install multiple copies of the game on a single drive. Most vids assume everyone has multiple drives. I'll keep looking.

As mentioned though, so far, so good. I'm chasing a merchant and two destroyers now. If they want anyone chasing them, it's me. Still a shaky sub commander (my crew keeps giving me dirty looks).
:hah a:
1Patriotofmany is offline   Reply With Quote