SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-30-23, 09:07 PM   #1
HellNY
Swabbie

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0
Default Repeatable Crash when approaching huge convoy

I recently re-purchased SH4 after a 14 year hiatus! Its been great. But last night on Dec 26th, 1941 I encountered something Ive never seen before. A Convoy that was impossibly large - 51 (yes, fifty-one) Japanese destroyers in 3 lines steaming west near Formasa. I do not recall ever seeing something like this when I played the game in 2008. I wondered if it was a bug it was so big.

I save the game before approaching. Every time I get close the game crashes - at least once I get to periscope depth. I dont even have to raise periscope, it crashes. Its just about proximity.

I am at my wits end. Ive tried "windowed mode," reducing the resolution, and turning off 3D sound channels. Nothing.

The only Mod is that I USED to have Captain Midnights radio mod but I uninstalled it because that *also* caused the game to crash. But since I removed it that problem is gone. WHat I have now is very specific to this convoy.

Does anyone know anything that might help? I cant continue the game now.
HellNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-23, 09:22 PM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellNY View Post
I recently re-purchased SH4 after a 14 year hiatus! Its been great. But last night on Dec 26th, 1941 I encountered something Ive never seen before. A Convoy that was impossibly large - 51 (yes, fifty-one) Japanese destroyers in 3 lines steaming west near Formasa. I do not recall ever seeing something like this when I played the game in 2008. I wondered if it was a bug it was so big.

I save the game before approaching. Every time I get close the game crashes - at least once I get to periscope depth. I dont even have to raise periscope, it crashes. Its just about proximity.

I am at my wits end. Ive tried "windowed mode," reducing the resolution, and turning off 3D sound channels. Nothing.

The only Mod is that I USED to have Captain Midnights radio mod but I uninstalled it because that *also* caused the game to crash. But since I removed it that problem is gone. WHat I have now is very specific to this convoy.

Does anyone know anything that might help? I cant continue the game now.
yes, that's a known issue.
post your JSGME config. Tasks-Export to Clipboard then paste here (ctrl+v)

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-23, 09:50 PM   #3
HellNY
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
Thanks KaleunMarco. I uninstalled any mods before this happened. But I do have the JSGME. I went to JSGME then Tasks but "Export Activated Mod List to.." is grayed out because no mods are active. The version of JSGME I have is v2.6.0.157.

..............?

I havent played this game since I was 39 years old. And that was 14 years ago. Im amazed it even runs.

Any suggestion?
Old 01-30-23, 10:46 PM   #4
HellNY
Swabbie

Quote:
Here you go. I had to "add" this mod just to be able to produce the JSGME config. But this was crashing *without* this mod. The only issue I can think of otherwise is that I once had Captain Midnights Radio mod installed but it kept crashing my game. When I removed it, the crashing stopped but now my radio no longer "scans" for frequencies.

Its not obvious that that should have anything to do with why I get crashes approaching a large convoy.

I could really use someone's help because Im a very experienced player from 14 years ago but have no idea whats going on with this game and these mods today.

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Silent Hunters Wolves of the Pacific\MODS]

15 Magnified Hud Dials for v1.5_Large
Old 01-30-23, 11:49 PM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

There are several mods out there, that if you had previously had them activated, and then de-activated them and did not empty the Save folder (or still had them activated), that you can end up with that situation. It is recommended that you empty the Save folder (C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4) and get rid of the bad data. If you are in the middle of a career and want to continue with that career instead, do NOT delete the data yet, but do NOT attempt to get close to the grouping. You should instead avoid the area from your Saved location, and return to base via a different route, hunting and sinking as you can along the way. There are several potential problem spots in the game, with two of them involving these growing groups traveling in a north-northeast direction, basically in line with French Indo-China, Formosa, Japan and the Kurile Islands. As time passes, the group grows larger and larger, and eventually make it to where you cannot continue the game until you do empty the Save folder. One thing to remember about mods is that the game basically runs off of the data in the Save folder, so when you change a mod set-up, you often have to clear the Save data, so that the Save folder "refreshes" its information.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-23, 12:26 AM   #6
HellNY
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
There are several mods out there, that if you had previously had them activated, and then de-activated them and did not empty the Save folder (or still had them activated), that you can end up with that situation. .
I appreciate all this info, and the explanation. Just requesting clarification

1. I only ever installed 1 mod - the captain Midnight Radio mod. From what you describe, would you agree it is highly unlikely this would cause this? After all, I just started playing the game ona fresh install after nearly 15 years.

2. What is causing this "growing group of ships" problem spot? From what you say, it keeps building until a campaign is unplayable? Do all campaigns eventually come to a grinding halt? How can it be prevented? I'm not clear about the scope and cause of this issue.
Old 01-31-23, 12:57 AM   #7
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

1. No, that mod did not cause it. But if you had corrupted data in the Save folder from the CTD, that could cause a similar issue, hence the suggestion to empty the Save folder. See the other thread about correcting the Captain Midnight radio mod's config with Digital_Trucker's RSM mod, but you do still need to delete the Save folder data to clear those bad DD "convoys"...
2. Some game versions and mods had improperly "docked" ships in what are called RGG (Random Generated Groups), that instead of being "anchored" and set at zero knots speed to sit alongside a dock, instead were not "anchored" and had the default 5 knots speed still set, which then allows the ships to travel around the world. When the game then runs, the game's internal database tracks where the ships are continually, and every so many hours (generally about once every few months) will "spawn" another ship to replace the one that left the dock... Since they are all set to the same "heading" (ie: 24 degrees true), they all follow the same track. Since the game does not check for collisions until a ship is actually within the player's sub area and then actually generates the 3D ship, they never run aground, and just continue on their merry way. When your player sub gets within approximately 32nm of where the ship(s) are tracking, then they spawn into the 3D world, and start "stealing bandwidth" from the game. There might only be three or four near you, so you wouldn't notice an impact, but later in the war, that number might be 3 or 4 dozen, or perhaps hundreds of ships, which is when you get a CTD, because the game cannot handle that amount of data.

Open your game folder, and right-click on the SH4.exe file, and click on the "Properties" menu choice. Then click on the "Details" tab, and about the middle of that page is the "Product Version:" such as 1.3.1.0, or 1.5.0.0 - what number do you have for yours?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-23, 03:52 AM   #8
Kapitän
The Old Man

Downloads: 29

Quote:
1. No, that mod did not cause it. But if you had corrupted data in the Save folder from the CTD, that could cause a similar issue, hence the suggestion to empty the Save folder. See the other thread about correcting the Captain Midnight radio mod's config with Digital_Trucker's RSM mod, but you do still need to delete the Save folder data to clear those bad DD "convoys"...
2. Some game versions and mods had improperly "docked" ships in what are called RGG (Random Generated Groups), that instead of being "anchored" and set at zero knots speed to sit alongside a dock, instead were not "anchored" and had the default 5 knots speed still set, which then allows the ships to travel around the world. When the game then runs, the game's internal database tracks where the ships are continually, and every so many hours (generally about once every few months) will "spawn" another ship to replace the one that left the dock... Since they are all set to the same "heading" (ie: 24 degrees true), they all follow the same track. Since the game does not check for collisions until a ship is actually within the player's sub area and then actually generates the 3D ship, they never run aground, and just continue on their merry way. When your player sub gets within approximately 32nm of where the ship(s) are tracking, then they spawn into the 3D world, and start "stealing bandwidth" from the game. There might only be three or four near you, so you wouldn't notice an impact, but later in the war, that number might be 3 or 4 dozen, or perhaps hundreds of ships, which is when you get a CTD, because the game cannot handle that amount of data.

Open your game folder, and right-click on the SH4.exe file, and click on the "Properties" menu choice. Then click on the "Details" tab, and about the middle of that page is the "Product Version:" such as 1.3.1.0, or 1.5.0.0 - what number do you have for yours?

Interesting read! So, this would also apply to other variations of the game, such as DW or KSD, yes?

Just for clarification on emptying the game save folder:
Does this apply only to the current patrol, i.e., does one still need to empty the game save folder, even if starting a new patrol from base?
Old 01-31-23, 06:17 AM   #9
boapiu
Seaman

Downloads: 51

Quote:

Thanks so very much for this explanation. I never realized what is going on in the guts of a computer simulation game or mod. It boggles my mind. And I have greater respect and appreciation for the efforts of those who build these mods.
boapiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-23, 08:15 AM   #10
HellNY
Swabbie

Quote:
It says 1.5.0.0

Thee convoy I was was 51 ships (all identical destroyers). They were near Formosa but headed in a SouthWest direction. There were 3 lines, each like a mile long.

The CTS happens only when I come within a few thousand yards of them...certainly not miles away.

I did clear the save file and of course now that campaign is gone. You say people have to clear the save file or eventually the campaign grind down. This sounds impossible but is there a way to keep your campaign but erase everything else that is causing the problem? I aks because Im starting a new campaign but I don't want to lose all my progress again.
Old 01-31-23, 12:39 PM   #11
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitän View Post
Interesting read! So, this would also apply to other variations of the game, such as DW or KSD, yes?

Just for clarification on emptying the game save folder:
Does this apply only to the current patrol, i.e., does one still need to empty the game save folder, even if starting a new patrol from base?
jumping back in here.....

the offending action () is the change of mods during a career, not the mod-set itself. in other words, yes, this applies to all mod-sets for SH4. if you change a file that has been modded then you probably need to perform this clear function (Below).

if you change mods or update a file's contents that is included in a mod, then it is recommended that you delete the file-folder
\YOURTHREELETTERACRONYM\data\cfg\UserPlayerContext
and also these two files in the folder just above:
\YOURTHREELETTERACRONYM\data\cfg\
playersettings.cfg and main.cfg
if you are starting a new career, then you can delete the entire folder structure under \YOURTHREELETTERACRONYM\data\.
SH4 will recreate it once you have created a new boat within a new career and saved it.

LAA enabled
Old 02-01-23, 03:03 AM   #12
Kapitän
The Old Man

Quote:
jumping back in here.....

the offending action () is the change of mods during a career, not the mod-set itself. in other words, yes, this applies to all mod-sets for SH4. if you change a file that has been modded then you probably need to perform this clear function (Below).

if you change mods or update a file's contents that is included in a mod, then it is recommended that you delete the file-folder
\YOURTHREELETTERACRONYM\data\cfg\UserPlayerContext
and also these two files in the folder just above:
\YOURTHREELETTERACRONYM\data\cfg\
playersettings.cfg and main.cfg
if you are starting a new career, then you can delete the entire folder structure under \YOURTHREELETTERACRONYM\data\.
SH4 will recreate it once you have created a new boat within a new career and saved it.

Okay. So, does this apply to the mods that come with, for example with KSDII, i.e., I installed certain mods from the mod set that come with the game when downloading and installing it right at the beginning and haven't changed those since then ...
Old 02-01-23, 11:25 AM   #13
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Okay. So, does this apply to the mods that come with, for example with KSDII, i.e., I installed certain mods from the mod set that come with the game when downloading and installing it right at the beginning and haven't changed those since then ...
well, there is no set of saved config files at the "beginning" of an installation.
SH4 stores/caches certain config files when the player starts his first career mission.

after this point, deleting config files after a mod change is a universal constant.
when a player changes mods or adds new mods or even a new mod set, it is highly recommended (polite words for mandatory) that you delete the saved config files before launching a new career.
if the player does not do this, then invariably they travel to Area CTD where there is no hope, no light, only darkness and despair.

LAA enabled
Old 02-02-23, 03:04 AM   #14
Kapitän
The Old Man

Quote:
well, there is no set of saved config files at the "beginning" of an installation.
SH4 stores/caches certain config files when the player starts his first career mission.

after this point, deleting config files after a mod change is a universal constant.
when a player changes mods or adds new mods or even a new mod set, it is highly recommended (polite words for mandatory) that you delete the saved config files before launching a new career.
if the player does not do this, then invariably they travel to Area CTD where there is no hope, no light, only darkness and despair.

Well put

So, as is in my case (installed the game and activating some of the mods that came with the game once and not changed those since), one should be ok, yes? Perhaps, delete the saved config files just prior to launching a new carrer ...
Old 02-02-23, 11:03 AM   #15
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Well put

So, as is in my case (installed the game and activating some of the mods that came with the game once and not changed those since), one should be ok, yes? Perhaps, delete the saved config files just prior to launching a new career ...
yes, that is a good plan.

occasionally, i run into anomalies while i am playing SH4 that are totally unexplainable.
then i have to give myself my own advice on how to try and fix it.
sometimes, i end up starting from scratch, after running through the lesser fixes.
as we say on De Soud Side: whadya gonna do?

LAA enabled