SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-01-23, 03:54 PM   #1
Joe S
XO

Downloads: 28
Uploads: 0
Default speed calculation

Ahoy everyone!

I have been trying to get back into SH 3 and 4 and am having some problems. Up to now, I have been calculating speed by doing the time and distance calculation on the Nav map. However, I would like to use the speed calculator on the "attack data tool" in the periscope view. I have viewed a number of video tutorials and have not found one that covers this in detail. Usually wen I try to use the speed calculator I get the message that says " cannot calculate speed need more time between intervals," or something like that. Every once in a while I get a speed estimate, but have not been able to figure out what I am doing right or wrong.
In my version of the game manual, page 63 refers to the "lock button" in periscope view. I have no idea where that lock button is. Cany anyone help me out?

In manual targeting, is a light supposed to go on when we get an accurate solution?

If someone could please post an outline of the proper steps to using the speed calculator, ( for dummies) I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

Joe S
Joe S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-23, 05:52 PM   #2
Ulex
Nub

Downloads: 18

Although everyone seems to be measuring speed by plotting on the navigation map, the TDC is able to do the work for you. Werner Sobe shows us how to do it in this video.

Ulex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-23, 11:14 AM   #3
Larrywb57
Tazmanian Devil

Downloads: 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
Ahoy everyone!

I have been trying to get back into SH 3 and 4 and am having some problems. Up to now, I have been calculating speed by doing the time and distance calculation on the Nav map. However, I would like to use the speed calculator on the "attack data tool" in the periscope view. I have viewed a number of video tutorials and have not found one that covers this in detail. Usually wen I try to use the speed calculator I get the message that says " cannot calculate speed need more time between intervals," or something like that. Every once in a while I get a speed estimate, but have not been able to figure out what I am doing right or wrong.
In my version of the game manual, page 63 refers to the "lock button" in periscope view. I have no idea where that lock button is. Cany anyone help me out?

In manual targeting, is a light supposed to go on when we get an accurate solution?

If someone could please post an outline of the proper steps to using the speed calculator, ( for dummies) I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

Joe S
Ahoy Captain,

Quote:
Usually wen I try to use the speed calculator I get the message that says " cannot calculate speed need more time between intervals," or something like that.
Don't know if this will help, I accidentally would double-click when entering the infromation on the periscope and get the message,'cannot calculate speed need more time between intervals.' Just single click when entering the data.

Quote:
I haven't seen a light come on if the target solution is accurate in manual targeting. In auto-targeting, for the lack a better term, you can have three triangle size lights, green, amber and red to infrom you of your solution. And I always use manual targeting. With the 'scope up and looking at the target, push 'L' on the keyboard to lock on the target. The green light on your torpedo panel come on. To check your target solution, push the key on your keyboard, <F6> to check your target solution. But use caution when your scope is above water, if can be spotted and that will ruin a perfect target solution!

Quote:
Up to now, I have been calculating speed by doing the time and distance calculation on the Nav map.
This is another way to calculate target speed. If the target's lenght is known and your stopwatch, the speed can be determine by also using the periscope. Your speed needs to be at or below two knots. On the periscope, looking at the target at a bearing of plus or minus sixty degrees from zero or three hundred sixty degrees, place your periscope's crosshair in front of the target's bow. Start the stopwatch when the target's bow cross the periscope crosshairs. And stop the stopwatch when the stern clears the crosshairs.
Now take the target's lenght divide by stopwatch's time and multiply by 1.85 will give you the current speed. (example: 104/50*1.85=3.848 knots) I recommend using a cheap calculator beside your computer, while pausing the game, uh, I mean training simulator, instead of the using the computer's calculator. Alt-tab can open up another can of worms.

I hope this answered some of your questions,

Good luck and good hunting, Captain!
C:\...100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v.1.8
Larrywb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-23, 09:01 AM   #4
Joe S
XO

Downloads: 28

Thanks Ulex and Larry!

The video makes the point that you need to wait a while before you take your second plot and are in a position to do the speed calculation. I knew that because I have doing it manually but for some reason I have a mental block with the speed calculator on the TDC.

I have always been skeptical of the method of measuring the time it takes for the target to pass your crosshairs, due to the fact that a variation in the angle off the bow will change the apparent length of the target. The other objection I have to it is that you have to keep the scope up the entire time, which is not always advisable.

Your responses have been very helpful to me, thank you very much!

I have been away from SH 3 and 4 for a while and am pretty rusty. You have helped me get back up to speed.

Thanks!
Joe S
Joe S is offline   Reply With Quote