SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-19-21, 03:05 AM   #1156
ivanov.ruslan
The Old Man

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 0

Ok,thanks!

A bit oftopic, i always know when the wolf pack appears, even before BdU notifies me, because the game starts to get a little hooked, ha, ha Good hunting!

Last edited by ivanov.ruslan; 10-19-21 at 03:46 AM.
ivanov.ruslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-21, 11:26 AM   #1157
MADLOU
Gunner

Downloads: 1208

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanov.ruslan View Post
Ok,thanks!

A bit oftopic, i always know when the wolf pack appears, even before BdU notifies me, because the game starts to get a little hooked, ha, ha Good hunting!
Concerning wolfpacks, I know the mod documentation talks about how to summon other uboats to form wolfpacks put Im somewhat confused how it works (which is not hard to do).

Does anyone here put play with wolfpacks regularly? If so, how do you like it?
MADLOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-21, 11:31 AM   #1158
Onealex
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 191

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADLOU View Post
Concerning wolfpacks, I know the mod documentation talks about how to summon other uboats to form wolfpacks put Im somewhat confused how it works (which is not hard to do).

I have tried this several times. I don't like this feature. Wolfpack comes only at night when visibility is poor (3-4 km). So it is very difficult to not be spotted before especially when destroyers have radars
Old 10-19-21, 11:53 AM   #1159
ivanov.ruslan
The Old Man

I play mainly and only with wolf packs, only in 1942, this one appeared after about 12 hours of chase.

In this case, they sank one trader, damaged several, but it is possible that there were other sunken targets, because there was only one destroyer in my area.

Usually, if the option is selected from the selector "less reports" appears faster, i had a case in within 2-3 hours.

Alex is right, the attacks take place mostly at night, but I've had a case during the day

Last edited by ivanov.ruslan; 10-19-21 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-19-21, 12:14 PM   #1160
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 488
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADLOU View Post

I've a lot of experience with them in other mods. Work great, won't play without them myself; interesting to see it work let alone the historical factor.
Old 10-19-21, 12:16 PM   #1161
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
I play mainly and only with wolf packs, only in 1942, this one appeared after about 12 hours of chase.

In this case, they sank one trader, damaged several, but it is possible that there were other sunken targets, because there was only one destroyer in my area.

Usually, if the option is selected from the selector "less reports" appears faster, i had a case in within 2-3 hours.

Alex is right, the attacks take place mostly at night, but I've had a case during the day

Did you call in that day attack or did it just happen ? (i.e., ai subs added to convoys that spawn when the convoy does. Usually day packs are these).
Old 10-19-21, 12:30 PM   #1162
ivanov.ruslan
The Old Man

Yes, in this case, about 10-12 messages from me, and about 5-6 answers from BDU!
The only strange thing, i not only saw the final message, but maybe in a hurry, i missed it

As i wrote above, i know almost unmistakably when an attack is formed, ha, ha, the game starts boxing slightly in seconds, but it may be due to my weaker computer!

In fact John, i read your question more carefully, i spotted the convoy early in the morning, around 3-4 after midnight, there was an exchange of messages, yes, the attack started between 7 and 8 in the morning

Last edited by ivanov.ruslan; 10-19-21 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-19-21, 12:48 PM   #1163
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Yes, in this case, about 10-12 messages from me, and about 5-6 answers from BDU!
The only strange thing, i not only saw the final message, but maybe in a hurry, i missed it

As i wrote above, i know almost unmistakably when an attack is formed, ha, ha, the game starts boxing slightly in seconds, but it may be due to my weaker computer!

In fact John, i read your question more carefully, i spotted the convoy early in the morning, around 3-4 after midnight, there was an exchange of messages, yes, the attack started between 7 and 8 in the morning

Well done ! Was it actually daytime "in the game" ? I.e., until the sun breaks the horizon and the night lights go off in the sub, the game still considers it night (and vice versa) even though it may be light outside.
Old 10-19-21, 12:55 PM   #1164
ivanov.ruslan
The Old Man

I have a few more photos from this attack, but the sun is not visible, at least in the photos, and i don't remember, that was a year ago.

I read that H.sie also foresees rare morning attacks, but what he meant, only he could say.
Old 10-19-21, 01:16 PM   #1165
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
I have a few more photos from this attack, but the sun is not visible, at least in the photos, and i don't remember, that was a year ago.

I read that H.sie also foresees rare morning attacks, but what he meant, only he could say.
Probably still technically a "night" attack then, via the game mechanics. Daytime pack attacks were not the norm vs. night ones so no big deal.
Old 10-19-21, 01:17 PM   #1166
ivanov.ruslan
The Old Man

Right!
Old 10-19-21, 01:43 PM   #1167
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pancoast View Post
Probably still technically a "night" attack then, via the game mechanics. Daytime pack attacks were not the norm vs. night ones so no big deal.
From looking at this... is possible for early morning/night wolfpack attacks... if these are successfully carried out. Know that there is the option to forgo having to do all the transmitting messages, a wolfpack lite version, if you will...

which, technically, isn't full daytime, yet... falls into that grey area that is also considered but not fully night time, either... This could also, hold true for sunset... but just the opposite, not yet out of day time, yet not technically full on night. That'd be 2 iffy areas, that are neither 1 nor the other... basically, grey areas in regards to being neither full on day or night.

is possible, that was what h.sie was referring to... the possibility of early morning attacks or early night, perhaps...

There is also, the known issue of pushing high TC, to get from A to B then back to A... that will invariably, result in the day/night clock in built, to get... out of sorts... (so while visibly, to the Kaleun) it appears to be either day... or night, as the case may be... it is fact, quite the opposite to the AI.

As I recall, there is a method to tone down this occurring when TC is used... but, don't right off, recall the particulars to achieve this.

I had notes on that, but.. sadly lost those notes (along with all material on notes/mods for all things SH3/4 & 5, when My ext. HD died. ) I still retain most of that, in My head, but what I do, only amounts to maybe... 1/10 of what I had on that HD... *sigh*

At any rate... hope this info I've parted here, helps...
Old 10-19-21, 02:05 PM   #1168
ivanov.ruslan
The Old Man

Thanks,Mad Mardigan,good info!
I'm sorry this happened to your archive, it's really a loss!

Last edited by ivanov.ruslan; 10-19-21 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-19-21, 03:33 PM   #1169
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Yes, the H.sie option to reduce the time required for the pack to assemble should be used. It can take awhile even with it; without it is brutal.
It's impressive when a pack attacks, on both sides.
Old 10-19-21, 11:27 PM   #1170
ivanov.ruslan
The Old Man

Yes, i chose now "Wolfpk less contact reports" in the Stieblers option selector , and i will see what happens!

In any case, this will only work at night

Last edited by ivanov.ruslan; 10-19-21 at 11:39 PM.