SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-06-17, 10:50 PM   #1
metalrockerlion
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Editor SH4

Coming back to subs Simming I was making the effort to add some practie missions for target practise .. it seeems like I cannot get the mission to work . i have the mod Fortors installed and not sure how to save a editor mission with it being Moded With Fortors
Old 08-07-17, 03:14 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

If you have only one install of Silent Hunter 4, no problem. With the Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate mod enabled, you then build your mission with the Mission Editor as you want it to be. Each mission you build has to be built with the mod that it will be played in, enabled, in order for the ME (Mission Editor) to make the proper "Calls" to the game's "assets" (ship, planes, subs, etc.). With Single (aka: Quick) Missions, you have to have a player submarine added to the mission, and set to Human Control, which is a little "tick" box by the Docked Ship tick box in a Unit or Group properties box. Your mission date, and the submarine entry date should be the same. Most other vessels, it usually doesn't matter, but it is also a good idea to have them all set to appear at the same time and date also. If you gotten all of that set correctly, the really BIG thing to do is that when you "Save" the file, you save it with a name, in a folder with that same name, in the SingleMissions folder.

In other words, you have a mission that you are going to name "Sink The Nagato". So you click on the "File" menu, then "Save", and you get a dialog box to open. Type in your mission name, which in our example is Sink The Nagato. Now "highlight" the text (hold down the <Shift> key, and press the <Home> key). Press the <Ctrl> key, and while holding it, press the letter <C> key. That will copy the text of your mission name to the Windows clipboard. Now use your mouse, and navigate to the Data / SingleMissions folder in your game folder. Once you're in that folder, and see all of the other folders there, click on the New Folder icon up in the top border of that same dialog box, which is the folder icon with what looks like an asterisk on its corner. It will than make you a folder that is highlighted, with "New Folder" highlighted also. If you then press the <Ctrl> key, and while holding it, press the letter <V> key, you will paste the name of your mission into the New Folder name text location. Press the <Enter> key to complete that, then again to open the folder. Now press the "Save" button in the bottom right of that dialog box, and you have your file saved in a folder of the same exact name. In theory, it should show up on the menu in the game now.

What some folks forget to do sometimes, is to use the menu item "Mission" and then "Language Localization", and type in a MissionTitle. That's when you'll see "mission title" on the game's menu under Single Missions. Just select the MissionTitle text in that Language Localization window, and type your mission title in place of what's there. Press the OK button, and the window closes. The only other thing that you should mess with in that dialog would be the MissionBriefing section, where you can type in text that describes the parameters of your mission, and what is expected of the skipper.

There is a Mission Editor pdf file somewhere that I cannot find just now. If I can, I'll post back with a link. In the meantime, to get you started:
SH4 Mission Editor Tips
SHIII/SH4 mission editor

There are quite a few postings on this site with ME info, so just use a search engine, and see what you can find. The ME Manual that I was referring to above, is actually an SH3 Manual, but it is almost the same Mission Editor in both games, with just some slight display differences, such as that Mission menu item (all of those used to be on one dialog window), and in the ability to save both US missions (using the "MIS" file extension, and German missions (using the MISGE file extension).

If you still have issues, don't hesitate to ask.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-23, 10:59 AM   #3
LuckyCapitan
Watch

Downloads: 152
Uploads: 0

There is a question. Can I edit those missions that are already in the Campaign folder?
LuckyCapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-23, 11:48 AM   #4
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyCapitan View Post
There is a question. Can I edit those missions that are already in the Campaign folder?
yes.

advice from those who have gone before you in this quest: make a copy of the .mis file(s) before you modify it with the Mission Editor (ME).

Good Luck!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-23, 12:13 PM   #5
LuckyCapitan
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
yes.

advice from those who have gone before you in this quest: make a copy of the .mis file(s) before you modify it with the Mission Editor (ME).

Good Luck!
Thanks for the answer. But there is a problem. I tried to edit the "Philippines Patrol" folder, slightly shifting the patrol area, but when checking the mission it shows the error "No player units". Apparently, I do not understand something. How to edit this case?
Old 03-01-23, 12:25 PM   #6
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyCapitan View Post
Thanks for the answer. But there is a problem. I tried to edit the "Philippines Patrol" folder, slightly shifting the patrol area, but when checking the mission it shows the error "No player units". Apparently, I do not understand something. How to edit this case?
lol.

all newbies encounter that one. welcome to the club. jackets are available for $59.99.

in order to save a .mis, you must click Mission, then Parameters, then check the box at the bottom.

after this your save clicks will work.

keep in mind that you need to click the box for each .mis you edit and save.

good luck!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-23, 12:44 PM   #7
LuckyCapitan
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
lol.

all newbies encounter that one. welcome to the club. jackets are available for $59.99.

in order to save a .mis, you must click Mission, then Parameters, then check the box at the bottom.

after this your save clicks will work.

keep in mind that you need to click the box for each .mis you edit and save.

good luck!
Exactly! I forgot about that 😅
Sorry for taking up your time and thanks for the help