SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-03-16, 02:11 PM   #16
l02turner
Soundman

Downloads: 167
Uploads: 0
Support SH4 and Win10

hi Guys, It's me again. I bought SH4 WOTP as I prefer to fight for the allies and it is installing on my W10 system now. So far, so good. I'm looking forward to learning the controls and sinking some ships. Wish I didn't have projects needing my attention around the house. I am disabled and feel guilty playing games when my wife must work so hard to bring a paycheck home. But I'll have some time soon.
Thanks again - ya'll will probably hear from me in the future. Soon I hope.
Sincerely,
LarryT
l02turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-16, 04:17 PM   #17
l02turner
Soundman

Default SH4 and Win10 NOW WOTP and Win10

Hi Gang -
I now have WOTP, installed it and after reading the manual tried to launch it. It tried to load GameShadow (required?) and as it launches it stops and throws a box saying "Unable to create an instance of gmsSchema.Data" then it says "Ignore, retry or cancel" None of these commands help. It then drops out of the window back to desktop.
I installed it in c:\documents\ssi - don't recall if I did it as an Administrator or not.
Help?
Thanks!
LarryT
Old 09-04-16, 09:43 PM   #18
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I'd un-install the whole thing, and start again. Be sure and blow away the "UserName\Documents\SH4" save directory stuff, if the un-install doesn't take it. When you go to re-install the game, it'll want to put it in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter...". Windows "protects" that folder from all foreign invaders, including The User (which is you). You do have a choice though, during the install to pick the location AND the components to install. I usually do "C:\Ubisoft\..." (your choice though). You do not need to install the GameShadow stuff. That was the game server that Ubisoft had, and it has since been taken down. You do however, HAVE to install the DirectX 9 stuff when it comes to that, even though you have a much newer version with Windows 10. There are files in the old version that are not in the newer versions of DirectX, that Silent Hunter needs. As a side note, SSI is defunct, and Ubisoft was the developer of Silent Hunter from v2 on.

There is a post somewhere on here where someone describes how to do this... much better than me here... ratz... Just browse through THEBERBSTER's SH4 Tutorials HowToDoIt Info thread, with all it's links to stuff. I thought it was somewhere in there...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-16, 05:49 AM   #19
l02turner
Soundman

Icon14 SH4 and Win10

Thanks for the suggestion. I started thinking about Gameshadow and did a little research to learn it is only there to provide updates and similar - since WOTP is a older game I doubt there will be any updates and hopefully I will hear about it here - so I uninstalled GameShadow and the game runs great!
I am ready to begin my training again as it has been so long since I have skippered.
Thanks again for the help from everyone - hopefully I will have some successes to report.

LarryT
Old 09-05-16, 08:04 AM   #20
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by l02turner View Post
... did a little research to learn it is only there to provide updates and similar - since WOTP is a older game I doubt there will be any updates ...
You are correct there. My brain is cross-referencing to an incorrect shelf of data... but you do not need it.

Old 03-15-23, 07:44 PM   #21
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Default BSD after Win10 update

while playing SH4, has anyone encountered the BSD after applying a Win10 update?
i was rudely mauled by Windows as i was traveling back to Guam after a very successful mission. BSD with error code Driver IRQ-L. Microsoft's solution was to check for driver updates...the bloody device just updated the OS and the bloody drivers not two days ago.

just checking the forum to see if anyone else died fast and quiet from Microsoft's latest gaffe.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-23, 05:39 AM   #22
boapiu
Seaman

Downloads: 51

just when you think it safe to install an update…
boapiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-23, 07:30 PM   #23
propbeanie

Some Windows updates will re-set all "legacy" stuff and most of your User Settings back to what Windows considers safe and proper. Check your Save folder path, your SH4.exe Properties settings, and your video driver settings... any one or all of them may be affected, depending upon the update.