SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-26-16, 10:43 AM   #1
l02turner
Soundman

Downloads: 167
Uploads: 0
Default Win10 and SH4

I am having trouble getting SH4 to run on Win10 which is on my new Laptop. I tried the compatibility modes without luck and suspect the problem some of us cannot get SH4 to work while others can is the bit version we have. I am running 64Bit version of Win10. I don't suppose it's possible to revert to 32bit V?
Thanks to all!
l02turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-16, 11:18 AM   #2
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by l02turner View Post
I am having trouble getting SH4 to run on Win10 which is on my new Laptop. I tried the compatibility modes without luck and suspect the problem some of us cannot get SH4 to work while others can is the bit version we have. I am running 64Bit version of Win10. I don't suppose it's possible to revert to 32bit V?
Thanks to all!
I run Win 10 64-bit and SH4 runs just fine. That's not your problem. Where do you have the game installed, what version are you playing?

BTW, Welcome to Subsim. Happy to have you aboard .

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-16, 02:30 PM   #3
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome Back To The Subsim Community > l02turner
Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-16, 03:34 PM   #4
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

It works for me but I upgraded from Win7 64 bit. Have you tried setting it to run as administrator?

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-16, 10:17 AM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

l02turner!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-16, 12:13 PM   #6
Gray Lensman
Frogman

Downloads: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
It works for me but I upgraded from Win7 64 bit. Have you tried setting it to run as administrator?
That and don't allow it to install in c:\program files or c:\program files (x86). If your running a Steam version of SH4 be sure that your Steam installation is not in either of the Program File folders also.
Gray Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-16, 12:21 PM   #7
l02turner
Soundman

Default sh4 & win10

[QUOTE=cdrsubron7;2429647]I run Win 10 64-bit and SH4 runs just fine. That's not your problem. Where do you have the game installed, what version are you playing?

Thanks for the reply! I had been installing in c\program files (x86) - where should I install it? I have a CD titled "Silent hunter Commander Edition 1.31" dated 2002, for Win95/98/Me. Not sure what version it is past that.

Also, I see the term "Steam" - what does that mean? Sorry if that's a dumb question. And, should I run in a Compatibility mode and which one?

When I install the program I install it as an Administrator.

I really appreciate the help!

LarryT

Last edited by l02turner; 08-30-16 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-30-16, 12:45 PM   #8
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

[QUOTE=l02turner;2430748]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
I run Win 10 64-bit and SH4 runs just fine. That's not your problem. Where do you have the game installed, what version are you playing?

Thanks for the reply! I had been installing in c\program files (x86) - where should I install it? I have a CD titled "Silent hunter Commander Edition" dated 2002, for Win95/98/Me. Not sure what version it is past that.

Also, I see the term "Steam" - what does that mean? Sorry if that's a dumb question.

When I install the program I install it as an Administrator.

I really appreciate the help!

LarryT

Hi Larry

First of all, Silent Hunter; The Commander's Edition is SH1. It's a DOS game and needs some special software to run under Win 10. You want Silent Hunter 4: The Gold Edition. This is v1.5 and the latest version. v1.5 is the version that all current mods are made for.

As for Steam, it is an online company that sells tons of games for PC. You pay a price and you can download the game to your PC and play.

Installation of SH4: GE is installed by default to C:/ProgramFiles(x86). It can be installed anywhere else on your c: drive or any other HD you might have on your computer. You can name your install any thing you want such C:SH4 if you want. Just remember where you install it.

If you need to purchase a copy of SH4: The Gold Edition you can find it here. just scroll down the page a little bit.

Old 08-30-16, 03:01 PM   #9
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Ooooh... Commanders Edition... noice. Other than the graphics, I might actually prefer it over SH4... well... maybe not...

You definitely want to see the thread SH1 is working! further down in the main list of this site. You might want to consider using DeFend Reloaded for use of running Silent Hunter (SSI) on your Windows PC (be careful what you click on there, lots of ad junk). I have it on this machine I'm using here, a dual-core Intel E4400 on an Asrock mobo with 2 gig of ram (I still play with Commander Keen too). No issues whatsoever. You could also consult SubSouWesPac's web site, but they do not have a community to ask in like here. Between it all, you should be able to get up and running and have sound all the way through the game. Be patient with the set-up. Ask questions.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-16, 04:50 PM   #10
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Ooooh... Commanders Edition... noice. Other than the graphics, I might actually prefer it over SH4... well... maybe not...

You definitely want to see the thread SH1 is working! further down in the main list of this site. You might want to consider using DeFend Reloaded for use of running Silent Hunter (SSI) on your Windows PC (be careful what you click on there, lots of ad junk). I have it on this machine I'm using here, a dual-core Intel E4400 on an Asrock mobo with 2 gig of ram (I still play with Commander Keen too). No issues whatsoever. You could also consult SubSouWesPac's web site, but they do not have a community to ask in like here. Between it all, you should be able to get up and running and have sound all the way through the game. Be patient with the set-up. Ask questions.

When I first found out about SH1 years ago it was a must have in my book. We had just bought a new computer and with the kids growing up and the schools starting to use computers we thought it was a good time to buy one. Heck, I spent more time on the computer once I go SH1 working than the kids did. I loved the ME in SH1, it was so much more versatile than the ME in SH4.

Old 08-30-16, 10:19 PM   #11
propbeanie

... and I was getting sunk then TOO... Let's see now, it's been going on since the 486DX 2-66 I had... 1996?? 97??... Wow! I are old!

I still fire the baby up and play it. I actually like some things in it better than SH4. The map zoom and a few other things are very frustrating, especially compared to SH4, and I do have an issue with remembering how to do things in the game ("OK, how ~do~ you shoot a torpedo? Where's my sheet?"). Some of the "views" in-game are hokey, but it definitely worked... I remember modding it too, but most, if not all of that was text-based... I think...

Last edited by propbeanie; 08-30-16 at 10:33 PM.
Old 09-01-16, 02:35 PM   #12
l02turner
Soundman

Default SH4 AND WIN10

Thanks for the answer and warm welcome to this community. I never seem to have time to play games but I hope I will find some time. Thanks also for straightening me out on which version I have. Years ago, on my 1st computer I used to play Silent Hunter for hours, read all the books on WW2 submarines and their tactics and really enjoyed the game.
So, is there a place where I can see a comparison of SS1 and SH4 that will help be decide which is better? Usually newer is better but you never know (as in W10) ;-) I prefer not to have to jump through hoops to make a game run and not need to add OS's, etc.

Thanks again.
LarryT
Old 09-01-16, 05:20 PM   #13
propbeanie

Myself, I like them both. If you have the SSI Aegis Silent Hunter Commander's Edition, it's a relatively simple process now to get it to run on a Windows machine. The "freeware" program D-Fend Reloaded at Sourceforge (which I'd mis-spelled above) makes things relatively painless. You might have to do a little bit of hand-editing of a couple audio configuration files, but D-Fend Reloaded does most of the work. Refer to SubSouWesPac's web page. About the middle of that page, you'll see reference to "Patching" the game, but you shouldn't have to do that. About 2/3rd of the way down the page, they refer to the configuration files that might need some tweaking. I'm not certain if you have to do the registry tweak they talk about in the XP Install instructions, linked to near the bottom of the page. They use DosBox in that article, and do all sorts of configuring (and you still might not have sound) that you won't have to do if you use D-Fend Reloaded (other than maybe audio settings tweaks). Otherwise, it's still a similar process to get it going in Windows10. You might have to change your User Access Control (UAC) setting in Windows, in order to get things set-up. Again, refer to that SubSim forum section below here in SH1 is working!

It's a really good simulation, but lacking in graphics and detail that Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific (WotP) has. However, personal taste will tell you which you like better. The strange thing is, Silent Hunter 4 WotP Gold Edition is now going for $50 USED on Amazon... Hmmmm.... You can get it on Steam for $10 now, but then you have to ante up another $10 for the Uboats Add-on to get the game up to v1.5... Still, it's better than the $50 used. Steam will run "sales" on the Silent Hunter games quite frequently, and I'm surprised it not on sale this Labor Day weekend, but alas, it's not...

I like 'em both, very much. Some of the game play in both is irritating, some is fantastic. Which is better = draw. The actual "I'm trapped in this sub, 350 under the Pacific ocean" feeling? Winner = SH1, but barely, and probably has to do with just a pinch of nostalgia. The graphics winner = SH4 - hands down winner there. Now, let's talk Destroyer Command, SHII, SHIII, and SH5... skip 'em... - I've got 3 & 5 both (still active on the HD - lost SHII, and DC was a WOT BOMB!), but I prefer 4. There is one thing ya gotta remember about me: I'm not very good at commanding a simulated sub - I get sunk all the time, but I are a SH SubSimNut... and I've still got The Hunt For Red October on the 4g SSD on my C64 ready to go at any time...

Last edited by propbeanie; 09-01-16 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Color my links!
Old 09-02-16, 07:27 AM   #14
l02turner
Soundman

Default SH4 and Win10

Thanks for the great instructions! I will try to follow them precisely.

LarryT
Old 09-02-16, 10:53 AM   #15
propbeanie

You are more than welcome, just use them as a guide, "modify" to suit you and your computer...