SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Submarine Scale Models: Subs, Naval, Tanks, Planes, Trains, Space & Other
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-21-07, 05:50 PM   #1
Siara
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Revell VIIC 1-72 scale my way...

Im going to atempt to put together the model of submarine type VIIC by Revell.
The model spent last couple of years on the wardrobe gathering dust , while i was ploughing my way thru aray of unfinished projects from the past

The choice of aftermarked parts is good , and everyone can find the figures , and photoetched parts to suit their taste.

My choice was Eduard P/E , combined with some metal barrels , and crew for 88mm gun and sentry with some deck crev. Im still undecided on that one though.

The furnishings probably will be chosen along the way , as im still awaiting the Eduards P/E (bloody post) and im holding the talks about barells still.
Hopefully they will turn up this week and i can start doing some work.

The reason im writing this post is simple. For one it will provide me with much needed boost , and hopefuly you can help me on some technical problems along the way , as there are some issues with the kit , which need to be corrected.

To be continued...

Master Models

Last edited by Siara; 10-22-07 at 01:13 PM.
Siara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-07, 06:16 PM   #2
Chock
Sea Lord

Have fun drilling out the limber holes with a pin drill and filing them all square with a needle file, I remember doing that with that kit, it took bloody ages:rotfl:

Chock
Old 10-21-07, 10:03 PM   #3
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Any photos?
Old 10-22-07, 12:07 PM   #4
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125

Are you going to go with a wooden deck? A nice looking one is available from Nautilus Models ( http://www.nautilusmodels.com/U-02/turm2.htm ). If I were building one, that's what I'd use.

Old 10-22-07, 12:36 PM   #5
UglyMowgli
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 9

You can ask here :
http://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net/
Old 10-22-07, 01:07 PM   #6
Siara
Grey Wolf

Thanks for comments.

First of all i will have to decide which U-boat im gonna try to replicate.
Judging by the photobase available i was edging myself towards U-552 (as i think it is a beauty of its kind , and Erich Topp gets my vote anyday).

nikimcbee - of coursei will be posting the pics , what sens in topic like this without the pictures?

Here are some stills of the box:

The hull is big. The biggest model ever atempted by me , for visual comparison i placed the hull of the Type VIID Minenlager in 1-144 scale inside.
Even though the model of Type VIID is longer than standard VII the size diference is obvious:

First glance inside the box and everything looks in order , parts are neetly kept apart by some spacers on the mould / no more cracked wintergartens /.

The detail is of good quality , even out of the box this model will look the part:

Instruction is clear with choice of diferent U-boat possibilities covered:

That is to be decided before i open the floodholes , as they difer from one boat to another.

Bill Nichols - i was looking up the websites with wooden decks , and only thing i can say is : only wood can give true effect of the wood , but i`ll wait for my eduard P/E to turn up , before spending more money on something that i may not use. But is a food for thought.

Master Models
Old 10-23-07, 05:08 AM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

I once had a type VII as a model and put it together, the hull on one side was open from stern to bow, so that you could have a glance at the interior. I was around 12 or 13, and in an effort to make it look more Klingon, I choosed an awfully wrong selection of dark colours. when I was done, it looked almost like the "Black Terror" when the sun had hidden behind the clouds..
Old 11-10-07, 07:22 PM   #8
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siara
Im going to atempt to put together the model of submarine type VIIC by Revell.
The model spent last couple of years on the wardrobe gathering dust , while i was ploughing my way thru aray of unfinished projects from the past

The reason im writing this post is simple. For one it will provide me with much needed boost , and hopefuly you can help me on some technical problems along the way , as there are some issues with the kit , which need to be corrected.

To be continued...
I love threads like this one, bravo! Posted on the Subsim main page.

Neal
Old 11-10-07, 11:49 PM   #9
pythos
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 46

I completeted this model about two years ago (I got one of the first ones). I was impressed with the size of it, and it truly showed me how big these things were, when I compared the length of the hull pieces to my completed Revell B-36 of 1/72nd scale. The B-36 is one huge machine, the U-boat dwarfed it.

The deck gun alone is a little model of really good detail, out the box.

I patterned mine after the U-96 from Das boot. I even made the grey laughing sword fish from this historically based, yet fictional boat.

I used my DVD, and freez frame alot to get the minutest exterior detail, though I must say, the detail of my model will pale in comparison to what this fellow is doing with his.

My model is the centerpiece of my room, it can't be anything else it is so huge. It will however be dwarfed by my yet to be completed 1/72 scale Gato class boat. It is half as long if not more than the "little" type VII.
pythos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-07, 11:58 PM   #10
Chock
Sea Lord

Yup, that's the thing which struck me when I toured U-534, the Type IX, before, sadly, it was closed to the public.

You only really ever see pictures of guys on the sub's deck when it is tied up at the dock with most of it underwater, so you don't really appreciate the scale. Sure it is pretty cramped inside, but when you walk up to one on land, it's a real shock how big the bloody things were.

The other thing that stikes you is how graceful they look, almost like a creature rather than a machine, which I supose is what they are trying to emulate in being like a whale or something. The curve of the fixed part of the bowplanes really does look like a big sea creature's fin when you walk under it, it's a really beautiful organic shape.

Of course now they are cutting up U-534, that experience will be gone forever, and I'm having a hard time forgiving them for that, so it's nice to see all these models taking shape.

Chock
Old 11-11-07, 05:42 AM   #11
The General
The Old Man

Downloads: 179
Uploads: 3
Default Great work..

Absoloutely stunning work gentleman. Those black & white photos posted earlier by Chock really show what a beautifully designed boat the type VII was. Thanks.
Old 11-11-07, 06:53 AM   #12
Siara
Grey Wolf

Thanks guys , comments like this make all the drilling and scraping worthwhile.

Master Models
Old 11-30-07, 11:25 PM   #13
Bort
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 60

Fantastic work, Siara!
Makes me feel motivated to stop procrastinating and get to work on the 1/144th scale Type VIID I have in the stash!

GT Aerospace
Bort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-07, 12:37 PM   #14
pythos
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 46

When I read U-534 was going to be a museum, but they were going to cut the ship into sections, I was livid. I think this is one of the dummest ways of displaying any ship, car, or plane. I really dislike "nose" displays at museums that are becomming more and more common. This is where due to lack of space, the nose with the cockpit is cut off, the rest of the plane stored or scrapped, and the flight deck being made accesible. This was the original idea for the Enola gay, till much protesting was heard, and now the entire ship is on display...like it should be.

Cutting this one of a kind boat up I think is the stupidest thing they can do. They should have gotten the props crew from DAS BOOT to restore the thing inside and out, and left the thing intact.

This museum's move I think is a captitol crime.
pythos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-07, 09:45 PM   #15
Keyne
Nub

You may have seen this already, but Japanese guy (I think) posted a video on Utube of him building a Revell Uboat model. IMO he shows some nice weathering techniques. Check the link below or just search on Uboat at utube. Good luck with your model.

Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
model, scale models