SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-11-11, 10:13 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Reliability history gone

Win7 64bit. My reliability history does not get displayed anymore. I googled, but the advices I found did not work. I deleted Windows log, since it was said that would get it started again. I made sure taskplaner is running.

Is there any connected service that I should check? what services need to run for sure to enable reliability history? If possible, any paths please for German windows, I am not sure I know the English equivalents for the German Windows terminology all correct. but any adice, English or German, welcomed.
Old 04-11-11, 01:12 PM   #2
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 152

Did you disable any of these services?

Windows Event Log - eventlog
Windows Management Instrumentation - winmgmt
Windows Event Collector - wecsvc

Or did you run an extremely aggressive registry cleaner?
Jan Kyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-11, 05:55 PM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

As long as I have correctly identified their German equivalent names (Windows Ereignisprotokoll, Windows Ereignissammlung, Windows Verwaltungsinstrumentation), all these three services are running, and get automatically launched.

As for registry cleaning, I use CCleaner every weekend, in its latest update. I delete temp files and cache files and also defrag every weekend. Quick Virusscans both with Avira Premium and Anti-Malware once or twice a weak, full system scans every 4-6 weeks. System has been installed just 4-5 weeks ago.

This is the "windows" section of the service list. I have deactivated some services indeed, but not without advise and also longer time before the reliability history disappeared. I tried to switch off all that I never run or need over here, especially typical business and office networking stuff. It'SX still some damn 70+ services active now.

Old 04-12-11, 02:43 AM   #4
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

And the Windows FehlerberichterstattungsDienst??

I'm certain, that if you enable this Error Reporting Service, your reports will be back.

Btw. for a safe enable/disable list of services, I recommend looking at BlackViper's site: http://www.blackviper.com/2010/12/17...onfigurations/

And I notice you have Windows Defender running? Not recommended to have several AV programs running simultanious...
Old 04-12-11, 06:20 AM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

About the Defender, I know, and the list shows it as not running ("deaktiviert"). Note that the list shows all services, no matter whether running or not, manually launched or automatically.

I check that site. I used a comparable info list from a W7 book to switch off some services. I try that error report service. I live by the impression that it only regulates whether or not the popup window asking whether or not you want to send a report to Microsoft appears.
Old 04-12-11, 06:27 AM   #6
Skybird
Soaring

No reaction after reboot, but it probably takes some time, maybe even a switch of daily datum. However, the description even already says it: missing service will result in no logs being produced, so I expect to learn that you have been right. Thanks! Think I'm becoming senile a bit...
Old 04-12-11, 12:16 PM   #7
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

We need an option in Services: "Restore to default"!

But if you go back to BlackViper and painstakingly go through each service, you should be able to get back to default.
It is a pain though...

Btw. if you open a service (double-click it) there are four tabs.
Last tab shows what services it depends on and what services depends on it.

I'm using a mixture of BV's "Safe" and "Tweaked" settings.
You'll win a tiny, tiny bit in boot-up time with a "trimmed" system, but the nice thing about unused services is, they don't take up any cpu-time.
Normally I recommend people to leave them alone - or if you simply can not leave them alone, then at least take notes of what you change from and to...

But since you made a system image of the up-to-date-and-fine-running system, why not restore that and start again?
Should take you less than 5 minutes...

Good luck!
Old 04-13-11, 05:08 AM   #8
Skybird
Soaring

Now one day later, no success, still no displaying of the reliability history.
Old 04-13-11, 05:48 AM   #9
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Maybe that will teach you for the future!

State of SkyBird:

Why not use a system restore? Choose a restore point from before "problem" started...

Or have a look here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...0-2a2d5e23019f

Or - as a very last resort - make a system repair... http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...all.html?ltr=R

But seriously, using a system image restore would have taken you less than 10 minutes. Now you have used... what? hours?
Old 04-13-11, 05:58 AM   #10
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Kyster View Post
Maybe that will teach you for the future!

Why not use a system restore? Choose a restore point from before "problem" started...

Or have a look here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...0-2a2d5e23019f

Or - as a very last resort - make a system repair... http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...all.html?ltr=R

But seriously, using a system image restore would have taken you less than 10 minutes. Now you have used... what? hours?
A system image restore lasts several hours, and then another several hours for defrag. Telling by experience.

The strange thing is that I have deactivbated the services I have already several weeks ago, immediately after installing the system - and initially, the reliability history still worked, there is even a thread here that deals with how I was ppointed towards it. I have not deactivated services since then, and I am somewhat cautuous to do so anyway, not touching anything I cannot identify, and focussing on switching off typical office things and netwoprk rlated things, since I am not part of a network and have no business environment here.

What if I switch on all services? Would that do any bad? And then working my way down again with switching off obvious things? Working with the BlackPnather list is a pain, even more since I have the German windows and thus the services often do not sdtart with the same letters in their title in both languages.

On the other hand, the reliab ilty historxy only is of interest in case of problems, it get messed up every time a game stalls and goes ctd, or I plug off a USB stick without using the software to do so. The various windows and event logfiles nevertheless get created and can be accessed.

That they still have no "return to default" button included for the service list. How many years is this being asked for now? Ten years? I seem to recall it was already demanded under NT or 98, or do I get carried away here?
Old 04-13-11, 10:04 AM   #11
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
A system image restore lasts several hours, and then another several hours for defrag. Telling by experience.
if you are deeply serious here, then something is really wrong on your system. 15 minutes - at the absolute max!

Using Acronis True Home... here's the procedure...

Boot-up on restore DVD, 1 minute.
Clicking the way to saved image and selecting options, 1.5 minute.
Typical full restore of system drive including Elements, Office 2007, utilities, drivers, Win7 SP1 - but no games! - takes 7 minutes.
I know this precisely, since I timed it last time...

Quote:
What if I switch on all services? ...Working with the BlackPanther list is a pain, even more since I have the German windows and thus the services often do not start with the same letters in their title in both languages.
Ah, but the name of the service is english!

Example: your Windows-Zeitgeber service. Open it and on the first tab you can see the service's generel name: W32Time

I copied BlackViper's entire spreadsheet into Excel, deleted the columns I don't need (Entreprise, Ultimate, Bare Bone etc.).
Then sorted the entire list by service's english name and printed it.

By doing it this way, I can make my way down through my Win7 services from the top.
Open each service, see it's english name, look in BV table, make change if I feel for it and make a note on the printed list.

This way I have documentation for what I change to from what... easy to go back.

I've uploaded the list here in PDF and Excel-format: http://www.mediafire.com/file/6n612b...20Services.zip

If you want it in other formats or need more/other columns, just let me know.
Quote:
...still no "return to default" button included for the service list. How many years is this being asked for now? Ten years? I seem to recall it was already demanded under NT or 98, or do I get carried away here?
No! I feel your pain, brother.

OTOH it is a bit like playing around in the registry database... you must know what you're dealing with. Take step-by-step notes and thread carefully.

Treat your Windows like a lady... one false move and you may be in deep trouble...
But with care, consideration and respect you can have a good thing running for years and years...
Old 04-13-11, 02:49 PM   #12
Skybird
Soaring

I know Acronis, I am using it since years, on my old rig with XP, and now on my new with W7. I use to do a reinstall from an image once a year. But already on my old sytem, with a P4 at 3GHz, it took around 2 hours to copy back the files, and they all where totally fragmentated - cleaning around 180 GB of fragmentated data takes many hours or a night.

I have not tried Acronis on W7 and my new rig, though. I hope it works - Acrinis does not seem to be what it oince was. Checking German sites and German Amazon you see that customers are ripping it apart for it's constant failures to reproduce saved data images. It got good reviews in past years - but the latest version gets annihilated by reviewers, especially under W7 and Vista. I hope I get saved from these troubles.

Obviously it is dependant on the ammount of data that need to get copied. Possible I have a much larger installation than you do.

I did roughly the same way you did with your Excel sheet, but with a list in a German windows book. By that I checked info on what services may be not needed to consume booting time.

Anyhow, I alrready said it, the reliability history worked after my last chnages in service settings. You remember the other thread where I reported that it produced reports? It did until several days after that. Last service changes derive from the time even BEFORE that thread.

I feel I wasted enough time uselessly on this issue, and until no further problems arise, I will simply ignore it. The system boots fast and works well and stable, what else can I want. I have several images from various installation status (with and withiout FS partitions (60 GB for that alone), with and without all game installations, and both with Acronis and the inbuilt Windows 7 image backup feature. In case I run into serious trouble, there is good hope than at least one of these, stored on 3 different external 1TB MyPassport HDs, should work. I was able to get my hand on two of these three very cheap, that's why I have so many.

Mediafire gives me firewall and cookie troubles, I see. I love it when websites want me to lower my firewall settings and enable full cookies. The latter tend to multiply like mice - just faster, and next comes the spam when forgetting to clean the cookie cache. Cookies usually are shut down and only get individual allowance over here. Open and unlimited access to my system for a foreign website, eh? Yeah, sure.

Maybe I indeed switch on ALL services, and then walk down the list with safe settings to "manual".
Old 04-13-11, 04:46 PM   #13
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
I know Acronis... it took around 2 hours to copy back the files, and they all where totally fragmentated...
Sounds more like restoring a backup than restoring an image?

Anyway, one day you'll do a fresh Windows 7 install.
We both will, when the new OCZ Vertex 3 disc shall be installed...
Old 04-15-11, 05:49 AM   #14
Skybird
Soaring

It is none of the services. For the past 36+ hours I had them all turned on. To no avail. The diagram just does not get filled. But windows and event logs get created nevertheless. Just no reliability calculation or -display. Have now returned to former service setting via a printed list of former settings that I made.

As I see it, it's broken. Will not try anything anymore, its not worth it.
Old 04-15-11, 10:05 AM   #15
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Ah, come on... one more try! We can't let her win!?

To restart RAC:

1.Click Start, click in the Start Search box, type taskschd.msc, and then press ENTER.
2.In the navigation pane, expand Task Scheduler Library, expand Microsoft, expand Windows, and click RAC.
3.Right-click RAC, click View, and click Show Hidden Tasks.
4.Click RACAgent in the results pane.
Note: The RACAgent task name may not be completely visible. If you cannot locate it, expand the Name column in the results pane.
5.On the Action menu, click Enable.

Taa-Daah!