SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-17-20, 05:13 AM   #3976
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

New Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern orders the military to oversee the country's quarantine and border operations.
It comes after two people allowed out early later tested positive for coronavirus.

Any visitors for Russian President Vladimir Putin must pass through a special disinfection tunnel, state media report.

Beijing's virus spike continues, as restrictions on travel are tightened.

Three US states have reported record new infections.

Brazil reports almost 35,000 new cases - its highest daily figure.

In England, Premier League football resumes on Wednesday evening.

Globally, there have been 8.1m confirmed cases since the outbreak began, and 441,000 deaths.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-20, 05:18 AM   #3977
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Israeli researchers say they have created a reusable face mask which cleans itself with heat.
The mask has a USB port which connects to a power source and heats its inner layer of carbon fibres by up to 70C - a temperature high enough to destroy coronavirus.
Users are advised not to wear the mask during the disinfection process, which takes roughly 30 minutes, Yair Ein-Eli told Reuters news agency.
Ein-Eli led the research at Israel's Technion University, spurred by widening disparities between global supply and demand for masks.
The researchers have filed a patent for the mask in the US, and plan to sell it commercially.

Greece has seen relatively few cases of coronavirus. According to Johns Hopkins University data, it has recorded 3,148 confirmed infections and 185 deaths, and the government has already allowed businesses to reopen and travel to restart across the country.
As of Monday, authorities have also allowed brothels to reopen - albeit under strict new guidelines.
Visits are limited to 15 minutes per customer, with masks recommended for workers and clients.
Doors and windows should be kept open to allow fresh air in, payment should only be by card and not by cash, and businesses should keep a list of clients - along with their names and phone numbers - in a sealed envelope for four weeks, in case authorities need to trace infections.

Old 06-17-20, 05:34 AM   #3978
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Israeli researchers say they have created a reusable face mask which cleans itself with heat.
The mask has a USB port which connects to a power source and heats its inner layer of carbon fibres by up to 70C - a temperature high enough to destroy coronavirus.
Users are advised not to wear the mask during the disinfection process, which takes roughly 30 minutes, Yair Ein-Eli told Reuters news agency.
Ein-Eli led the research at Israel's Technion University, spurred by widening disparities between global supply and demand for masks.
The researchers have filed a patent for the mask in the US, and plan to sell it commercially.

10° more and you could boil Japanese green tea with it.
Old 06-17-20, 10:15 AM   #3979
Skybird
Soaring

Number of deaths in the US now exceed US losses of WWI.

As it currently goes, I think 200,000 will be reachedby the end of the year, maybe even before the election.
Old 06-17-20, 10:27 AM   #3980
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Well, when I add it up over 171,000 Europeans have died so far from COVID-19. Id wager you get to that 200,000 mark before we do.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-20, 10:36 AM   #3981
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Number of deaths in the US now exceed US losses of WWI.

As it currently goes, I think 200,000 will be reached by the end of the year, maybe even before the election.
Actually this has been reported in the US news as being by October

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us...ronaviruslinks

Quote:
A mix of early reopenings and disregard for personal safety measures have prompted researchers to increase their projections of Covid-19 deaths this summer.

One model cited by the White House now predicts 200,000 US deaths from coronavirus by October 1 -- an increase of 30,000 deaths since last week's projection by the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington.

But I don't think it will change the outcome of the National election November 3rd add the regular flu deaths of 64,000 and the drug overdose deaths of 70,000 and you have one big number that doesn't even include car wrecks and cancer and homicides.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6911a4.htm

Quote:
70,237 drug overdose deaths in the United States in 2017, approximately two thirds (47,600) involved an opioid
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-20, 10:39 AM   #3982
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 06-17-20, 10:41 AM   #3983
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

A further 184 people have died with the coronavirus across all settings in the UK, taking the country's total death toll to 42,153.

The Department for Health and Social Care said an additional 1,115 people tested positive for Covid-19 in the 24 hours to 09:00 on Wednesday.

Old 06-17-20, 02:09 PM   #3984
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Well, when I add it up over 171,000 Europeans have died so far from COVID-19. Id wager you get to that 200,000 mark before we do.
If you are after scoring points in this competition, then consider please that "Europe" has a much bigger population than the US. Almost 2.3 times as many. Or consider that Germany has just one a quarter of your population - but just a 1/13th of you number of deaths.

P.S. You seem to think that I posted a criticism, but I did not, i just pointed out a sad landmark. What you took as an attack against which you had to retaliate - in fact was an expression of sympathy.
Old 06-17-20, 02:13 PM   #3985
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Maybe it's not important.

Europe consist of many countries and not one big.
(even though there are some Pro-EU supporters and politicians, who have such a dream)

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-20, 03:24 PM   #3986
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
If you are after scoring points in this competition, then consider please that "Europe" has a much bigger population than the US. Almost 2.3 times as many. Or consider that Germany has just one a quarter of your population - but just a 1/13th of you number of deaths.

P.S. You seem to think that I posted a criticism, but I did not, i just pointed out a sad landmark. What you took as an attack against which you had to retaliate - in fact was an expression of sympathy.

No matter how you look at its still over 171,000 Europeans dead.

Not offended, I just find it odd that its never reported, never mentioned, never a thought given, its simply out of sight and out of mind. But I suppose the illusion of nationalism is necessary that Schengen and E.U. leadership may survive.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-20, 05:49 PM   #3987
Skybird
Soaring

Europe is no singular nation, but many nations, and so the numbers are given for individual states as well. The EU is neither a state, nor is it all of Europe. The federal states of the US are no nations, but parts of one nation.

Thats why.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Note that the table can be sorted and can be arranged what columns to show and what geographic parts of the world and whethersorting by high or low values first.
Old 06-17-20, 05:53 PM   #3988
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
The Food and Drug Administration has revoked its emergency use authorization for the drugs hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine for the
treatment of Covid-19. Hydroxychloroquine was frequently touted by President Donald Trump, and he has claimed to have used it himself.

After reviewing the current research available on the drugs, the FDA determined that the drugs do not meet "the statutory criteria" for
emergency use authorization as they are unlikely to be effective in treating Covid-19 based on the latest scientific evidence, the agency
noted on its website on Monday.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/15/p...rus/index.html

Now the WHO has stopped clincal trials with hydroxychloroquine as well.
Old 06-17-20, 06:03 PM   #3989
Skybird
Soaring

The German Corona app for smartphones has launched on Tuesday. It stores data not centrally, but on the individual phones only, and these data get automatically deleted after 14 days. The data cannot get collected by third parties. The source code was made available on the web, so that external experts and the CCC could check it for possible backdoors and security issues, and found none. Data protection and anonymity, by all what I can read, are completely given. The Chaos Computer Club's experts give it all green lights.

Whether the app can be effective for anything, remains to be seen, but it has won trust with flying colours. It was downloaded 6.5 million times already on day one.

Android position detecton must be allowed for tis app for formal reasons only (you can switch that pemrission on and off individually for every installed app) , since modern versions of Android demand that as a prerequisite for allowing to activate Bluetooth. The data on position gets not collected by the app or by Google, they say, it is not relevant for the purpose. The Bluetooth signal and it strength alone as well as exposure time determines whether an alarm is given if one of the stored encrypted detection numbers reports to have gotten infected. Its all voluntary, and data and app can be reset any time.

One can question whether this can have any effect anymore, but this transparency and total control by the user is the reason why after lots of scepticism and a rough start the app nevertheless has won a lot of tolerance and only positive feedback even by the most critical of critics before. There is hope that due to these reasons many people will download and use it.

I tolerate and even use it, but my expectation of its positive effects are muted. I see its importance rather limited.

You need internet connections only for updating the contact list once a day or so. GPS is not needed, only Bluetooth. Constant online connection is not needed.

The apps that have been ther ein fRance and other European coutnries, stored data centrally and were intransparent, and so were not olerated by people. After two weeks the French app still was not even used by 1% of the people. I think they have withdrawn it for now. So the nGermans were late, but it seems that this time they really made everything better.

Last edited by Skybird; 06-17-20 at 06:13 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-20, 04:28 AM   #3990
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

At least another 130,000 people worldwide have died during the coronavirus pandemic on top of 440,000 officially recorded deaths from the virus, according to BBC research.

A review of preliminary mortality data from 27 countries shows that in many places the number of overall deaths during the pandemic has been higher than normal, even when accounting for the virus.

These so-called "excess deaths", the number of deaths above the average, suggest the human impact of the pandemic far exceeds the official figures reported by governments around the world.

Some will be unrecorded Covid-19 victims, but others may be the result of the strain on healthcare systems and a variety of other factors.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-53073046

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan