SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-18-06, 08:48 PM   #1
Salvadoreno
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 119
Uploads: 0
Default The Land Time Forgot

Has any1 seen this ancient movie?? Its story actually begins aboard a WWI uboot sinking a merchant ship, then it gets pretty cheesy. But i definately like the first few minutes when they are insdie the UC sub ready to sink the merchant ship..
Old 02-18-06, 10:27 PM   #2
Torplexed
Let's Sink Sumptin' !

Downloads: 43

A U-Boat, dinosaurs and Doug McClure. Who could ask for more? I remember reading the Edgar Rice Burroughs book as a kid before seeing the movie which came out in 1975. Found it a little hard to believe a group of lifeboat survivors could so easily take over a U-Boat and then unintentionally end up sailing it to a unknown island in the Antarctic. Entertaining enhough for the time if you didn't take your science-fiction too seriously.

By the way I got a kick out of the "Seaview" type windows on the submarine in this movie poster. Must be artistic license. They weren't on the sub in the film.

--Mobilis in Mobili--
Torplexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-06, 09:08 PM   #3
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

Yea I remember this one a bit. Saw it about 8 years ago. Sweet how they could kill a T-Rex with just a couple of rifles, makes me wonder why only one dude in Jurassic Park had a gun.

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-06, 09:14 AM   #4
jason10mm
Sailor man

Downloads: 0

Is that manta ray looking thing shooting a LASER BEAM at the sub???

I used to LOVE the "Lost World"/"Center of the Earth" type books. I remember a pretty good choose your own adventure one as well (something about a black sun at the center of the earth).
jason10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-06, 10:12 PM   #5
Pax Melmacia
Watch

I seem to recall a scene where Doug McClure launched a torpedo from the control room by himself. You can't do that, can you? (Don't you have to give the order from the Control Room, and then someone in the Torpedo Section launches it for you?) Guess the writers played too many sub arcade games. (Remember those?)
Pax Melmacia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-06, 01:42 PM   #6
Sailor Steve
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Saw it in the theater when it was new. It was okay, but I liked the book better.
Old 11-13-06, 04:57 AM   #7
Theta Sigma
Seabed Comber

Downloads: 99

This was one of my absolute favorite sub films.

Despite all the dinosaurs, my favorite scene was when they took the U-boat through the underground river. That has to be an inspiration for the navigation through Red Route One in The Hunt For Red October. (At least for the director, if not Clancy himself)

It's amusing...Dietz went o to be the Master in Doctor Who, and Tyler went on to be...oh yeah, apeear in a lot of sitcoms.

I'm amazed Herr Kapitan is still with us, when the others have passed on.
Old 11-13-06, 03:31 PM   #8
Grayback
A-ganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLAM Strike
Yea I remember this one a bit. Saw it about 8 years ago. Sweet how they could kill a T-Rex with just a couple of rifles, makes me wonder why only one dude in Jurassic Park had a gun.
That was one of those lazy pre-Jurrasic Park T-Rexes, the kind that walk back on their hind legs awkwardly and have useless arms. T-Rex from JP was a more modern beast, fast, agressive and more resistant to mere rifles.

I'm still not clear about how the movie ended. It looks like the u-Boat was just escaping (and abandoning Mclure, and then it just goes awry trying to dive away.
Grayback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-06, 06:53 AM   #9
Theta Sigma
Seabed Comber

Downloads: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayback
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLAM Strike
That was one of those lazy pre-Jurrasic Park T-Rexes, the kind that walk back on their hind legs awkwardly and have useless arms. T-Rex from JP was a more modern beast, fast, agressive and more resistant to mere rifles.

I'm still not clear about how the movie ended. It looks like the u-Boat was just escaping (and abandoning Mclure, and then it just goes awry trying to dive away.
Then it exploded, if I remember correctly.