SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Submarine Scale Models: Subs, Naval, Tanks, Planes, Trains, Space & Other
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-20-11, 11:17 PM   #1
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

Default Question for Subsim Scale Modelers

Its been a very long time since I built any models (like 10 years) but I decided to build a couple, mostly as a decoration for my computer desk. I just ordered them, they are the Doyusha 1/700 scale Kilo SSK and Akula SSN models. I purposely chose the small ones since I don't want them becoming clutter, and they will fit nicely on top of my computer tower or monitor.

Now my question is what paints should I use? Specifically for the (red) anti fouling below the waterline and the props. I have a spray can of flat black enamel paint from Home Depot (It was let over from another project), should I use that for the hull as a base color or use something else?

BTW I don't have an airbrush and don't plan on buying one.

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 12:53 AM   #2
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280
Uploads: 0

Well, I'm not an authority on paint, but I always start with a couple coats of primer to take down that semi glossy sheen off the parts, followed by whatever colors I am using after.

A good hardware store usually has a good selection of paints for whatever shades you are using, especially red. Tamiya makes great paint, but thats brush on, and I brush painted my K-19 model, it turned out nicely.
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 11:15 PM   #3
The Third Man
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLAM Strike View Post
Its been a very long time since I built any models (like 10 years) but I decided to build a couple, mostly as a decoration for my computer desk. I just ordered them, they are the Doyusha 1/700 scale Kilo SSK and Akula SSN models. I purposely chose the small ones since I don't want them becoming clutter, and they will fit nicely on top of my computer tower or monitor.

Now my question is what paints should I use? Specifically for the (red) anti fouling below the waterline and the props. I have a spray can of flat black enamel paint from Home Depot (It was let over from another project), should I use that for the hull as a base color or use something else?

BTW I don't have an airbrush and don't plan on buying one.
Display models are always more colorful than the actual boat, thus the red anti-fouling paint often depicted on modern SSN models. (all flat black on the real deal, anechoic tiles you know.)

If you think it important to use red there are a couple of options in rattle cans. A rustoleum primer with a reddish-brown cap and a gloss red which you will prolly have to dull-coat. The dull-coat isn't a bad idea in either case after all the paint is applied. It will help blend everything together and allow for the inevitable hand holding.

My two cents.
Old 01-30-11, 01:19 AM   #4
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

nearly finished my Kilo and Akula...

sorry for the the crappy pics but they are the best my netbook's webcam can do...

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-11, 03:00 AM   #5
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511
Uploads: 0

I think they look Great.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
model