SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-21-21, 09:25 PM   #1
PIC
Swabbie

Downloads: 23
Uploads: 0
Default Most realistic modern sub game?

Hi All. I've just recently turned to modern sub warfare. Of all the great nuclear sub titles out there, which would you say are most realistic?
PIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-21, 07:54 AM   #2
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Maybe this upcoming game could be a good choice

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=320

The game got its own subforum as you can see

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-22, 11:24 PM   #3
PIC
Swabbie

Downloads: 23

Thanks for the advice. I've been excitedly looking forward to MNW for a few months now. Cannot wait for it to be released! Until then, I'm using Cold Waters and now Dangerous Waters.
PIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-22, 04:01 AM   #4
Andreas86
Engineer

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 1

Cold Waters is great, and much respect to it for simulating this time period. But in my eyes it fails to capture the mood of Red Storm Rising because it immideately breaks the immersion by basing the whole game on a 3D view, and unless you have a powerful machine the game is quite jerky. No submariner ever got to see the outside of their boat underwater, or the enemy with their own eyes. At least alive. I would much reather they did away with the GPU intensive and unnecessary stuff.

In the original RSR you played the game by your control screens and with limited information, and took decisions as a captain. Orders are given and your crew did the rest, and in this regard I feel it is still the best nuke subsim made, with the focus on being a captain. The Amiga version of RSR is my all time favorite nuke sim.

I have played both Sub Command and Dangerous Waters but I just don't think manning all the stations yourself is particularely realistic as a captain. No captain has to man all stations. And again you have the 3d view. It appears more as a simulators of the various stations, but I understand that may be many simmers cup of tea.

I feel Fast Attack is much more realistic, it is another favorite of mine. On the easier settings the crew does the work and lets you make the decisions. The atmosphere is great, and the graphics in the station screens are very nice for DOS. It also has missions that may be more relevant now than ever. The game has no 3D views that breaks the feeling of beeing deep down and dependent on sonar. And if you want to man the various stations you don't have to take a long education to do so. The only thing I miss in Fast Attack is a simple dialog to order course and depth, and other manouver orders. Rather than the clickfest that is the helm station. Everything is mouse dependant, which is kind of a design flaw.

Jane's 688 I never managed to get into. Its interface always puts me off. The older 688 Attack Sub for DOS was interesting and is still fun to play, but the absence of campaigns is a shame. The sequel Seawolf.. No.

I am eagerly awaiting the new MNW. BUT I am not a fan of the look of the new technologies, when everything is presented on a tablet or a room full of boring flatscreen. Much more into the Cold War tech. At least I hope there are crewmen represented graphically in the sub, and not just you alone in a huge IT-room, doing all the tasks yourself.
Andreas86 is offline   Reply With Quote