SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-08-12, 11:11 PM   #721
Admiral Von Gerlach
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 358
Uploads: 0

Excelllent, you are welcome to the data, let me know if you or Iam need more information and we can scan the data and transmit what may be helpful.

Cheers
Old 05-11-12, 06:00 PM   #722
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Von Gerlach View Post
iambecomelife...in case helpful, i found some info on Autro Hungarian Submarines which is in PDF format here..you may find these interesting sorry it is not in english.

These should give you what you need...

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?6j853825nam9594

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?geqpiier3v2bvwt

Let me know if you might need anything else...

D, i have not forgotten just have been overwhelmed with life and its demands so have not had a chance ... thanks
Thanks a lot! I really want to concentrate on Germany in the North Sea before making promises about Austria but I'll file it for future reference.

Fun fact: I went to school with the Great-Grandson of Georg Ritter von Trapp (yep, the "Sound of Music" guy). He was a very successful Austrian commander, who sank the "Leon Gambetta" among others.

iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-12, 04:17 AM   #723
Admiral Von Gerlach
Seasoned Skipper

Glad you liked that data

The Von Trapp family are family friends and the Von Trapp of SOM was a close friend of my Great Uncle's, he was a very nice gentleman with impeccable courtesy but was stern and very much a naval officer even after he left the service in the well known events so many will be familar with a popular version of. ..they had for many years a ski lodge ...

interesting how life touches many of our shores in interesting ways. I thought the comparison of the Austrian with the German boats might be interesting, there was some cooperation between the services but there was a lot of rivalry too, even up into WWII and after. The Austrians of today including my own family are NOT germans very decidedly.
Old 05-13-12, 09:54 AM   #724
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 910

As a lad my first read of Lowell Thomas' " Raiders of the Deep" set my imagination ablaze. iambecomelife you and your team have put flint to steel and made fire.

Best of Luck!

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

~ George Orwell

Last edited by don1reed; 05-13-12 at 10:10 AM.
don1reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-12, 10:40 PM   #725
bdd458
Seaman

Downloads: 51

Looking nice .

I can't wait for this mod :3
bdd458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-12, 11:49 AM   #726
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Work has started on the U-93 class boats. I had lacked sources for them but now they can be included, thanks to detailed pictures that the posters on this thread provided. No screenshots yet, because the model is still in its early stages.

They were excellent submarines with higher speeds, faster diving times, and better weapons than the U-9 class & other pre-WWI boats. U-93's had four bow and two stern torpedo tubes, making it easier to attack convoys or well-armored ships. Unfortunately, they entered service too late to have much of an impact on the war - a bit like the situation in WWII with Type XXI and XXIII boats.

http://uboat.net/wwi/types/?type=U+93

I will also be polishing the U-9 model, doing more research on shore targets, and a few other things in the next few days.
Old 05-20-12, 04:35 PM   #727
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
Work has started on the U-93 class boats. I had lacked sources for them but now they can be included, thanks to detailed pictures that the posters on this thread provided. No screenshots yet, because the model is still in its early stages.

They were excellent submarines with higher speeds, faster diving times, and better weapons than the U-9 class & other pre-WWI boats. U-93's had four bow and two stern torpedo tubes, making it easier to attack convoys or well-armored ships. Unfortunately, they entered service too late to have much of an impact on the war - a bit like the situation in WWII with Type XXI and XXIII boats.

http://uboat.net/wwi/types/?type=U+93

I will also be polishing the U-9 model, doing more research on shore targets, and a few other things in the next few days.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-12, 10:07 AM   #728
Fritz Klum
Mate

Downloads: 732
Uploads: 4

This mod looks really interesting. When might a beta version be available for download?
Fritz Klum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-12, 07:48 AM   #729
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Some screenshots of the U-93 boats. They still need conning towers & many other fittings. Note the rounded hull, which was very different from the ridged hull of early U-Boats. All blueprints are from the U-160 and U-166 sub-types, which were very similar externally. I was unable to find any blueprints of U-93 herself but these should work out well enough.

And Fritz, unfortunately I don't see a beta anytime soon. I'm working fulltime, and doing my modeling in snatches whenever I can.
Old 06-10-12, 03:27 PM   #730
dsawan
Torpedoman

Downloads: 66

bump.
dsawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 06:38 AM   #731
SilentOtto
Engineer

Downloads: 71

This looks so promising and beautiful... Sending some kudos and energy!
SilentOtto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 11:12 PM   #732
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Did some work on U-93 after getting home late...

The conning tower shape will be changed slightly to taper more towards the back. Torpedo tubes & net cutter will be added later. It's easier to texture the hull, then add torpedo tubes, than to do it the other way around. I practiced texturing the bow several days ago - results were very encouraging.

These were very pretty boats IMHO and effective war machines. Too bad you won't be getting your hands on one of them until 1917, when the war's practically lost.

Old 06-12-12, 12:00 AM   #733
Diablo2
Mate

Downloads: 85

Looks great.
Diablo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-12, 09:27 PM   #734
Admiral Von Gerlach
Seasoned Skipper

The Development program and improvements in the boats was remarkable considering all the other demands from the war on German industry, and the general atmosphere of increasing social and societal unrest. They achived a lot in such a short time on so many fronts. Looking very nice indeed.
Old 06-23-12, 03:36 PM   #735
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

I've been doing more work on U-93 and a lot of work on uniforms. I'm trying to texture the uniforms so that the colors are acceptable for both interior lighting and environmental lighting - for example, when crew are on the bridge. Right now the textures for uniforms look too pale due to SH4's ambient light. Note how the Petty Officer's uniform is a strange sky blue, while the officer's tunic (inside the submarine) is a more natural color.

On the plus side I've learned how to make cap badges & buttons luminescent at all angles; before, they were hard to see in the submarine interior.

There was a mod for SH4 with different post-process filters that were more suitable for an Atlantic environment. I can't find it. If anyone has it saved, let me know, please.