Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Cathelicidin.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7192829/

Quote:
CONCLUSION

In this review, we highlight the roles of vitamin D-cathelicidin signaling in cell-autonomous protection, autophagy regulation, and immune response modulation in host cells against various pathogen infections and inflammatory diseases. Functional VDR signaling activation, which is associated with cathelicidin induction, is clearly the best-studied area in the field of vitamin D-mediated antimicrobial responses to eradicate a broad spectrum of pathogens. Cathelicidin is involved in shaping our immune system to promote cell-autonomous defense mechanisms, simultaneously maintaining a balance with inflammation during infection. Recent studies have revealed key roles for vitamin D-induced cathelicidin in the maintenance of homeostasis as an autophagy process that is closely regulated by other intracellular signaling pathways, including calcium and AMPK. Indeed, vitamin D-cathelicidin interacts with other effector systems such as autophagy and lysosomal function, possibly converging into a dedicated protective role by preventing excessive immune pathology against a variety of infections. Nevertheless, several aspects in this field are only beginning to be understood; many open questions remain, including how the vitamin D-cathelicidin axis interconnects with key innate effector systems (e.g., autophagy and lysosomal acidification) and which factors are critically involved in the coordinated control of innate and adaptive immunity to promote protective immune responses during various infections. Clearly, further research is needed to manipulate vitamin D-cathelicidin signaling in different biological contexts. Topics for further study include the exact function of vitamin D-antimicrobial immunity in patients with various infectious diseases at different clinical stages, considering genetic variation in VDR genes and sera vitamin D levels.

Despite continuing efforts to develop new antibiotics, multidrug-resistant infections are emerging as a major health burden worldwide, with high associated morbidity and mortality. The activation of autophagy by VDR signaling is anticipated as a promising host-directed therapeutic strategy, even against drug-resistant bacterial strains (129). Understanding the mechanisms by which vitamin D-cathelicidin regulates innate host defense systems, in the context of autophagy and immune pathways, is of prime importance for exploring strong candidates for host-directed therapeutics against diverse infectious diseases. Vitamin D is strongly clinically associated with acute respiratory tract infections, parallel to vitamin D status and incidences of airway infections (16). Current findings provide promising evidence for the protective effects of vitamin D on respiratory tract infections, including TB (16). To date, vitamin D supplemental therapy has been the most widely used potential treatment in TB clinical trials. However, further evidence of the cathelicidin levels and its efficacy as a prerequisite before vitamin D supplementation move into clinical routine in infectious diseases. Further translational knowledge about vitamin D-cathelicidin axis should be accumulated to support the clinical application of vitamin D in various acute and chronic infectious diseases for prevention and/or to offer improved outcomes.
Old 07-18-21, 12:45 PM   #7562
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-21, 01:36 PM   #7563
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Icon9 the handshake is not Minnesota Nice!

https://www.hastingstribune.com/ap/a...8b5a48b6b.html
Quote:
MINNEAPOLIS – As we emerge from the pandemic, we're starting to see the return of an age-old ritual: the handshake.
Many of us went a year or more without clasping someone else's hands. But as vaccination rates go up and social distancing restrictions fall, we're starting to press the flesh again.
"I am shaking people's hands when they offer it to me," said Sheila Nezhad, a candidate for mayor of Minneapolis. Nezhad, who recently started in-person campaigning, has been exchanging fist bumps, elbow bumps and the traditional grip-and-grin, even though it was little disorienting at first to put 'er there. "It kind of felt like getting back on the bike after having not ridden one for a while," she said.
Not everyone is happy that the handshake is making its way back. Though it's a deeply ingrained way of expressing friendship and respect, some medical experts wish it were gone for good.
"I don't think we should ever shake hands again, to be honest with you," said White House health adviser Anthony Fauci back in April 2020. "Not only would it be good to prevent coronavirus disease, it probably would decrease instances of influenza dramatically in this country."
"It's never been safe," said Dr. Gregory Poland, a Mayo Clinic physician and professor specializing in infectious diseases and vaccines.
Handshaking carries the risk of transmitting a host of undesirable conditions, including norovirus, food poisoning and "hand-borne transmission of fecal bacteria," Poland said.
"We're not talking about a minor issue," he said. "Would you lick someone's hand?"
Handshaking may have started as an ancient custom to demonstrate to a stranger that you had no weapon in your hand. But "you are, in fact, bearing at some level, a bioweapon" on your unwashed hand, Poland said

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-21, 01:52 PM   #7564
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

All I'm seeing in my area are fist or elbow bumps.

Old 07-19-21, 02:13 PM   #7565
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 07-19-21, 02:17 PM   #7566
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 07-19-21, 05:16 PM   #7567
Skybird
Soaring

While I see the cultural and symbolic contexts, I never liked shaking hands. Being abused as a towel and have others smearing their hand sweat and dirt on me, simply is not up to my taste, and never was. I prefer an implied bow or, more Japanese, a fuller bow, a nodding of the head, eye contact, or the Indian "Namaste" greeting gesture (two hands), or Buddhist gesture (one hand). I also do not like embraces, hugs and kisses for greetings. Never liked all that. Physical contact, like using prenames, is reserved for very close, intimate social contacts, in my perception: family, closest of friends, lovers, never for foreigners and socially distant strangers or superiors in a social hierarchy, never. I tend to see handshaking as a social assault (=Übergriffigkeit).

Elbows or feet or fist knuckles, as became common during Corona, I simply find embarassing and infantile. I flatly refuse and ignore it. We may be descended from apes, but we don't have to make one of ourselves.

Last edited by Skybird; 07-19-21 at 05:32 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-21, 07:14 AM   #7568
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
While I see the cultural and symbolic contexts, I never liked shaking hands. Being abused as a towel and have others smearing their hand sweat and dirt on me, simply is not up to my taste, and never was. I prefer an implied bow or, more Japanese, a fuller bow, a nodding of the head, eye contact, or the Indian "Namaste" greeting gesture (two hands), or Buddhist gesture (one hand). I also do not like embraces, hugs and kisses for greetings. Never liked all that. Physical contact, like using prenames, is reserved for very close, intimate social contacts, in my perception: family, closest of friends, lovers, never for foreigners and socially distant strangers or superiors in a social hierarchy, never. I tend to see handshaking as a social assault (=Übergriffigkeit).

Elbows or feet or fist knuckles, as became common during Corona, I simply find embarassing and infantile. I flatly refuse and ignore it. We may be descended from apes, but we don't have to make one of ourselves.
I'd much prefer a quick handshake over everything else. It's easy enough to go wash your hands afterwards.

That having been said, I generally would prefer no greetings whatsoever. Let's just get down to business so I can get out of here more quickly. I don't need to spend an hour engaged in idle chit-chat with people I don't like but have to work with.
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-21, 09:38 AM   #7569
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Facebook is not killing people ... they are stirring people up with the truth.

or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-21, 09:46 AM   #7570
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 07-20-21, 09:47 AM   #7571
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 07-20-21, 10:01 AM   #7572
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catcircus View Post
I'd much prefer a quick handshake over everything else. It's easy enough to go wash your hands afterwards.

That having been said, I generally would prefer no greetings whatsoever. Let's just get down to business so I can get out of here more quickly. I don't need to spend an hour engaged in idle chit-chat with people I don't like but have to work with.
You can get a nod from me, maybe accentuated with a raised eyebrow - but keep your dripping dirty hands on your side of the counter, please.
Old 07-20-21, 12:47 PM   #7573
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 07-20-21, 05:42 PM   #7574
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Target bearing 020, fire! Looks like the everyone’s favorite medicine man is on the hot seat. Go Rand Paul.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-21, 07:32 PM   #7575
Skybird
Soaring

Obviously somebody does not know how "question and answering" does work. Speaker A aks a question, and speaker B remains silent and listens so nthat eh can get what the quesiton is about. Then the roles change and speaker B talks, giving an answer, durign that speaker A remains silent so that he can get what the answer is about- else he cannot hear what speaker B is saying.

Or speaker A is not willing to let anything being heard as an aswer different than what he wants to be heard.

In that case he may want to consider to hand to speaker B a written copy of the answer he then asks speaker B to just read from that paper for the microphones as the only answer he already has predetemined as valid (often translating into: serving his purposes).

This way, a hearing is being turned into a show tribunal. Rand however forgot to deceive his intention better. His torpedoe ran a circle and returned to him.

Idiotic.

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan