SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Special Projects > Best of SUBSIM Nominations > BOSS Noms Archive
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-22-23, 05:51 PM   #46
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211
Uploads: 0

fitzcarraldo has made a Best of SUBSIM nomination.
Nomination Category:
Quote:
SH3 Modder
Nomination basis: Best SH3 modder of 2023, April 2023.

NYGM FiFi version, Steel Coffin.
Forum: SHIII Mods Workshop

Nominated Member: Fifi
Nominated Post: Link
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
Many thanks both John and FiFi.

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo :salute:
Well, you gave me a good idea :yep:
The new crew I was testing isn’t that good looking, and have trouble to give them skin right colors rendering mainly outside on deck due to my special environment lighting. So to solve the head & hair weird looking I had previously with some crew without hats, decided to give them all hats… fixed! :haha:
Some crew clothes discipline will not hurt :)

:Kaleun_Salute:
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-23, 07:51 AM   #47
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Onkel Neal has made a Best of SUBSIM nomination.
Nomination Category:
Quote:
Most Helpful in General
Nomination basis: Awesome follow up with the solution to the issue, I wish more players would do this.
Forum: Classic Subsims

Nominated Member: hps3445
Nominated Post: Battery charge indicator and fuel gauge.
Quote:
Hello, i wanted to ask about a possible bug in PA, either that or i just don't know how the sim works. It has to do with the the battery charge indicator. I ran training mission 1 and 2 and noticed that the red bar doesnt change at all on the battery charge gauge; even after running at 17 meters below the surface for at least 3 to 8 hours under time compression. Same after running the diesel engines at a protracted amount of time. The gauges never shifted one iota. Im thinking they should have shown some movement but perhaps i did not run the sub long enough. It is a training mission and although i turned on the realism settings for the unlimited fuel and unlimited battery i still didnt see any change. Unless i would have to start a new mission for the setting to take effect, i just don't know. If anyone has any ideas of how those gauges are supposed to work, or how to get them working, im here. Let me know. I really appreciate your time and feed back. I think in the mean time ill try to reinstall it and see what happens. Thanks everyone, Shaun

:Kaleun_Salute::ping::ping::ping:

Update: Just a few minutes after i posted this, i tried starting a new mission in default SH2---with the realism settings on for both the battery and fuel gauges; ran at 256 time compression and saw that there was a needle tick mark that moved down the battery charge indicator, that i never saw before as I havent played a Silent Hunter game since almost 2010, and at that never owned it long enough to get aquainted with the gauges and controls until now. Anyway the Diesel gauge needle is also moving, so it seems the crisis is over lol. Thankyou guys. Shaun
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-23, 07:51 AM   #48
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Nomination Category:
Quote:
Outstanding Member
Nomination basis: Great follow up, nice.

Nominated Member: Hitman
Quote:
Glad you solved it, TBH I don't remember by now any of how SH2 works ... :k_confused: so I would have a hard time helping out :) Man, time sure flies, we did this back in 2004, that is now nearly 20 years ago ... :o
Old 05-02-23, 05:03 PM   #49
1Patriotofmany
XO

Downloads: 92

1Patriotofmany has made a Best of SUBSIM nomination.
Nomination Category:
Quote:
Most Helpful with SH4 + Mods
Nomination basis: Helps all the time with SH4, newbies and oldies.
Forum: SH4 Mods Workshop

Nominated Member: KaleunMarco
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laffertytig View Post
I guess i spoke to soon about bugs. I'm driving a porpoise and now at the start of my 2nd patrol i'm unable to switch on my surface radar.

I've done a bit of forum searching and this looks to be related to a conning tower upgrade i received. I've ran the SH4 validator tool as admin and ran into a pile of errors. my SH4 file path is D:\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\games\Silent Hunter 4 Gold Edition

I've got no clue what to do at this point, would someone be very kind and take a look at the log file to see what the issue may be? I'm unable to upload the txt file due to size so i'l just post the errors. There are a bunch of ignores as well not sure if they are relevant. I have attached a text file of my mod list which i installed as per the instructions.
yeah...about that list....resolving those errors is a long, winding, and dark hole.

back to the porpoise-radar issue...
Porpoise will start the war with SD (air) radar and be eligible for SJ (surf) June 1942. Is your game calendar past June of 1942?

lastly...thank you for including your modlist. next time you want to post your modlist, Open JSGME, click Tasks, Export, To Clipboard. then open your post here at Subsim, and use Ctrl+v to paste the list into your post. this is easier than saving and attaching a text file.

:Kaleun_Salute:
1Patriotofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-23, 06:09 AM   #50
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Nomination Category:
Quote:
Nomination basis: Helpful post with link to a suggested mod.
Forum: SH4 Mods Workshop

Nominated Member: propbeanie
Quote:
CapnScurvy did a LOT of work on his Optical Targeting Correction (OTC) mod to get the FOV and magnifications correct on the US boats, but I do not recall how much work he did for the German boats... you could also check with jimimadrid and maybe he could add the German boats to his recent work with the periscopes and TBT for the US boats, if he hadn't done that yet also...
Old 05-03-23, 06:14 AM   #51
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Nomination Category:
Quote:
Best News Contributor
Nomination basis: U-boat related news, nice.
Forum: General Topics

Nominated Member: Ostfriese
Nominated Post: German U 17 on its final voyage
Quote:
U 17 (Type 206A) has begun its final voyage from Kiel to Sinsheim, in Baden-Württemberg in southern Germany.

In the Kiel Bay, on the way to the Kiel Canal locks

On the Kiel Canal

U 17 was laid down as a Type 206 submarine on Oct 1st, 1970, launched on Oct 10th, 1972 and commissioned into the Bundesmarine (West German Navy) on November 28th, 1973 and became part of the 3. Ubootgeschwader.
Modernized to a Type 206A from 1989 to 1991, U 17 was the first German submarine to cross the Atlantic (in 1997) after World War II. She participated in SUBEX 97 and took part in Fleet Week 1997 in New York.
U 17 was decomissioned in Eckernförde on Dec 14th, 2010. On June 30th, 2021, U 17 was transferred to Kiel, where her weapons and batteries were removed.

On its final voyage U 17 is towed (on a pontoon) first to Rotterdam and then up the Waal and Rhine rivers to Speyer, from where the 500 ton vessel will be transported over land to Sinsheim, where it's scheduled to arrive on May 21st. There it will be part of the Technik Museum Sinsheimwhich already exhibits a vast amount of cars, motorcycles, locomotives, aircraft (including aircraft from both world wars and the early jet age), tractors, steam engines, tank and other military equipment.
Old 05-07-23, 08:37 AM   #52
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Nomination Category:
Quote:
Thread of the Year
Nomination basis: This nom includes the awesome SHCE video series!

Nominated Member: JconradH
Nominated Post: Made some SHCE videos for YouTube
Quote:
I've been playing SHCE on Win 10 using Dfend Reloaded for several years now- works great. :)
Also using the SHReal mod. I play having my crew helping set the TDC, and with the navigation tools built in to the game, so maybe I'm cheating a bit. I also don't play at 125% realism, but I have lost 50% of my career subs so far, oops. Here are a few quickly edited encounters from the last few months:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...f0UldFAWBSLZOW
Old 05-10-23, 10:17 AM   #53
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Aktungbby has made a Best of SUBSIM nomination.
Nomination Category:
Quote:
Post of the Year
Nomination basis: Best "welcome aboard" post: reflecting unceasing enthusiasm for the forum. Beats my mundane 'welcome aboard' with :salute: all to pieces!
Forum: Silent Hunter III

Nominated Member: iambecomelife
Quote:
It'll never be abandoned as long as I draw breath! And if I may disagree a little bit with Onkel Neil - I and several die hards still have a lot to say! Although it is definitely quiet compared to 2007, I am not alarmed; I would say it is just part of the natural switch from mass-market, big developer/Ubisoft supported projects (like the Silent Hunter series itself) to boutique projects kept alive by amateur enthusiasts, working for a smaller fanbase. These projects include entirely new simulators like Wolfpack and mods like GWX Knights Cross & Wolves of the Kaiser, that intend to really push the modding envelope. There are some absolutely huge breakthroughs in the pipeline; it's just that several development teams (including my own WWI modding team) are spending much more time on modding than advertising/posting. Silent Hunter 5's moddability was a bit of a disappointment, but its predecessors have actually aged quite well - thanks to the magic of Silent 3ditor and other modding tools... With a little luck, SH3 and SH4 will be unrecognizable in 2-3 more years. And the forums at subsim will be here to document the revolution. So stay tuned! And welcome. :up:
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-23, 01:39 PM   #54
Thefroglord
Seaman

Downloads: 103
Default 2023 BOSS Noms

Thefroglord has made a Best of SUBSIM nomination.
Nomination Category:
Quote:
Most Helpful with SH5 + Mods
Nomination basis: Member was able to find what I needed
Forum: Silent Hunter 5

Nominated Member: KaleunMarco
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefroglord View Post
I have looked every and even have donated and downloaded the mega mod pack however I was unable to find it there as well. If anyone knows were I can find or be willing to send it my way I would be greatly appricterive of it.
have you tried this mod from sobers?
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=5059
Thefroglord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-23, 06:47 AM   #55
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Nomination Category:
Quote:
Nomination basis: Mentioned a mod and then went and found it, very helpful.
Forum: Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific

Nominated Member: 1Patriotofmany
Quote:
There's also a seperate Japanese mod IJN but damned if I can find it with the search features. IJN Jyunsen B mod v 3.9.9.9.9.3 found it using an outside search https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=4936
Old 05-19-23, 08:41 AM   #56
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Nomination Category:
Quote:
Outstanding Member
Nomination basis: He made the helpful vert chart guide and helps players find it!
Forum: Wolfpack

Nominated Member: Bilge_Rat
Quote:
Hi, posted this in another thread, but this is how to use the new periscope overlay to figure out RANGE:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...4&postcount=21

Looks complicated at first, but easy to use once you get the hang of it.
Old 05-23-23, 09:14 AM   #57
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Nomination Category:
Quote:
Thread of the Year
Nomination basis: Great start to an interesting thread.
Forum: Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific

Nominated Member: Kpt. Weyprecht
Nominated Post: In a pigboat again! Training a periscope eye
Quote:
I'm back roaming the Pacific! My old saved games are gone with a previous install and I had to fire up Windows again but there I am taking command of an S-boat.

I was planning on a fully realistic campaign with no map updates and maybe even restricting myself to 0-gyro angle shots to emulate the lack of a TDC...

My resolve didn't survive the first encounter with a task force off Lingayen Gulf. I can't manage to build a decent amount of situational awareness. I can be reasonably accurate with with my periscope ranges on a lone target from a fairly close distance but I'm not good enough to set up a good attack on a zigzagging taskforce.
I wonder if I could have more success in a u-boat. Still, any tactical tips on gathering information from afar, when ranging is really inaccurate? I feel I should switch to drawing on paper ang doing things really slowly but with the trips from homeport to patrol area I ended up smashing the TC button again.

By the way -- at first I lanuched a Brisbane campaign, but I somehow missed all the action around Guadalcanal and spoent 3 patrols in empty seas, only getting some ships off Rabaul.
Old 05-29-23, 06:25 PM   #58
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Nomination Category:
Quote:
Post of the Year
Nomination basis: Good to see Easy Rhino back to share his expertise.

Nominated Member: Easy Rhino
Quote:
So, kind of old thread, and this isn't an definitive answer, but a clue, i have a snippet old old source code from the game and here is the only part where the DMOH might get awarded:

Code:
    if (nScoreMax >= 200)            // High-difficulty missions
    {
        if (m_aAwards[AWARD_SILVER_STAR] == 0)
            IssueAward(AWARD_SILVER_STAR);
        else if (rPercent >= 0.99f && m_aAwards[AWARD_NAVY_CROSS] != 0)
            IssueAward( AWARD_MEDAL_OF_HONOR );
        else
        {
            if (rPercent >= 0.9f)
                IssueAward( AWARD_NAVY_CROSS );
            else
                IssueAward( AWARD_SILVER_STAR );
        }
    }
So in other words, you'd have to be in a difficult mission anyway (over 200 points total), and have already received both the silver star and navy cross in previous missions. And play at 100% difficulty.

I can't guarantee there isn't a bug somewhere preventing the DMOH anyway, even if not, this could lead to bonkers situations where you have to singlehandedly sink the Scharnhorst or Yamato multiple times to get enough medals.
Old 06-09-23, 10:00 AM   #59
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Nomination Category:
Quote:
Most Helpful with SH3 + Mods
Nomination basis: Outstanding level of assistance.
Forum: SHIII Mods Workshop

Nominated Member: kapuhy
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerzhunters View Post
well can i get the link so it can be easier:hmmm:
https://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.79/

select blender-2.79b-windows64.msi (unless you use 32 bit windows in which case select blender-2.79b-windows32.msi )

Edit: By the way, if you still didn't solve this problem, you can try posting your file here so that either myself or someone else could take a look at it.
Old 06-13-23, 07:23 AM   #60
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Nomination Category:
Quote:
Most Helpful in General
Nomination basis: Very helpful, esp about resetting CMOS.
Forum: General Topics

Nominated Member: Commander Wallace
Quote:
I have no idea what the operating system would have to do with a CMOS (Complementary Metal-Oxide Semiconductor) battery going bad would have to do with anything. The CMOS battery acts as a battery and chip that maintains settings and things like dates on startup.

Simply replace the battery, wait, then reset the jumper beside the CMOS battery. The jumper should have something like " Reset CMOS. " near the location, on the motherboard.

The battery itself is easy to remove in a desktop machine. It becomes a little more complicated in laptop computers as the battery itself has a protective case with two wires protruding from it with a small socket that plugs into the mother board. They can be relatively expensive.