SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-17-19, 07:29 AM   #1
Deep10
Watch

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0
Default Graphics mods

Hi all, Its been quite a while since I have been here so if you can bear with me that would be great, I have reinstalled SH4 Wolves Of the Pacific after a long time and I am looking for purely graphical mods, like making the wakes and the sea maybe looking more realistic etc, The actual game play is fine for me it just the eye candy that I would like. As said if you could bear with me and help me with exactly where to go for the best mods and more important how to install them. I am extremely grateful for any help, thanks in advance.
Deep10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-19, 02:00 PM   #2
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep10 View Post
I am looking for purely graphical mods... just the eye candy that I would like.... exactly where to go for the best mods and more important how to install them.
First, which version of SH4 are you playing? SH4 STOCK v1.3, SH4 v1.4 or SH4 v1.5?

Some of the older mods will play on v1.3, some mods will play on v1.4; however, most of the mods, the newer ones especially, will only play on v1.5; some may play on v1.4 and v1.5 but not on the stock game.

Look in the "Downloads" section of SubSim. You should see the downloads button in the upper left. Look for the SH4 Group under downloads. Within the group you'll find categories of the downloads. Newer ones are list first in each category.

Another method is Google It. Do a search for "SH4 Environmental Mods" or maybe "SH4 Graphics Mods". You'll probably find a bunch.

As for installation, are you familiar with the JS Generic Mod Enabler program? I think the latest version is 2.6 by the way. Easy to find under Downloads or Google It. Download it, unzip it and put the application file into the main directory of Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific and then run it by double clicking on it. Once installed you should get a message about creating an Icon and later a MOD folder. Click yes. Copy and paste all your mods into this MOD folder. From your desk top, open the Generic Mod Enabler and move the desired mods from the left column into the right column.

Note: if you ever remove a mod (right column to left column) only do this one at a time, in reverse order.

With all that said, if you have v1.5, you might want to go right into the newest update of Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate MOD. Just released, it has all the up to date game play and environmental stuff you'd be looking for.

It runs smoothly on my nine year old, windows 7 laptop. It does require SH4 v1.5 and installation of the Long Address Aware program, which you'll probably need anyway.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 11-17-19, 05:04 PM   #3
Deep10
Watch

Icon14 Graphic mod

I do truly thank you for your reply and help and all the info you have provided, I am on 1.5 but just reading your reply has given me a headache, I do mean that in the nicest possible way but I have used mods in other games with no where near the complicated process needed to add mods to SH4, I did it once but its to much to do now, but thanks again for the help.
Old 11-18-19, 12:52 AM   #4
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default The Simplist Thing You Can Do

Sorry about headache.

Read the Sticky Titled: (Rel) Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate
It's right at the top of this forum.

It's a free, 1.6g mega mod that will give you the eye candy you're looking for and much more. It provides instruction on downloading and installing. Can't get simpler than that. Check it out.

I've played SH3 and SH4 since 2005 with upwards of 45 mods installed at one time. It's not that hard to download 1 mega mod, unzip it and install it into the game with the Generic Mod Enabler.
Old 11-18-19, 03:44 AM   #5
Deep10
Watch

Default Graphic mod

Ok thanks again, I will syke myself up and attempt it, fingers crossed.
Old 11-18-19, 01:50 PM   #6
Deep10
Watch

Default Graphic mod

OK so the MOD in my "downloads" folder, I have unzipped it using the 7zip tool as instructed I have downloaded the "Mod enabler" tool and enabled the mod, of course as expected It has not made any difference to the game because I have done something wrong, but what?. If I could attach a screenshot of my progress so far to this post I could show you what my "Downloads" folder looks like. If only Steven Hawkins hadn't died lol.
Old 11-18-19, 03:52 PM   #7
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep10 View Post
OK so the MOD in my "downloads" folder, I have unzipped it using the 7zip tool as instructed I have downloaded the "Mod enabler" tool and enabled the mod, of course as expected It has not made any difference to the game because I have done something wrong, but what?. If I could attach a screenshot of my progress so far to this post I could show you what my "Downloads" folder looks like.
The Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate mega mod (FotRS) and the JS Generic Mod Enabler will not play or work inside your download folder. You have to move the Generic Mod Enabler application file into the SH Wolves of the Pacific's main directory. Is your SH4 game fresh and un-modded? It's best to be.

Once you copy and paste the JS Generic Mod Enabler application file into SH4, double-click on the application file to install within the game. Once it installs, it will ask you if you want an Icon on the desk. Click YES. Make sure you see the new icon on your desk top.

Then it will ask you if it's OK to create a folder within the game called MODS. Click YES. You should be doing all of this within the SH4 main director by the way; you should see a good number of folders and files. You should see a folder called "DATA" and you should see the MODS folder pop up in this SH4 main folder.

I've Added ONE ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTION right here:

Look for the "SH4" folder under and within your "My Documents" directory. Find it. It's used by the game to store saved games, settings, etc. and all kinds of things. We do not want any conflicts to arise after your new install with saved games, settings, etc.

So, locate the current, existing "SH4" folder within MY Documents and rename it. I usually rename it "SH4 OLD." Then leave this old folder alone; once your new install is working, you can go back and delete the "SH4 OLD" folder. The reason is by renaming it, we're essentially deleting the old folder and the game will automatically recreate a fresh, new "SH4" folder for our reinstall. Thus, we've essentially deleted all old game information so we'll not have any conflicts with old saved games, settings, etc. Very important to do.

Now, go to desk stop and reboot your SH4 game to make sure it comes up as it normally does. You should see the Title Screen with the v1.5 on the bottom right corner as normal. Good, exit SH4 completely. Go to next instruction.

Assuming this all goes well, it's time to put FotRS U into the mods folder.

When you unzip FotRS U, you should see a folder Titled: 100_FalloftheRisingSun_UnlimitedEdition v1.0.g EN and the remaining zip file.

Double-click on the FotRS folder to open it up. You'll see 4 folders, 2 Jpeg folders and 2 not so important files as listed below:

Data
Extras
MODS
Support
SH4 Q Reference card back
SH4 Q Reference card front

Data = this is your mega mod file, very important
Extras = has 1 important zip file (LAA file that you may want later)
MODES = includes 4 modes, 2 that I'd recommend: D3D9 antilag and strategic map symbols.
Support = a bunch of reading you way wish to do later.
SH4 Q Reference cards are worth printing out.

Now, it's important to always retain your original FotRS zip file and the original 100_FalloftheRisingSun_UnlimitedEdition v1.0.g EN folder. Some may disagree but it's better to have them stored safely for future than to have to re-download.

That said, create a NEW folder titled: FalloftheRisingSun UE MOD v1.0.1.g
This will become your mega mod folder that you copy and paste into your SH4 Mods directory, after you do the following:
Copy and Paste only the Data and the MODS folder from above into your new FalloftheRisingSun UE MOD v1.0.1.g folder.

Make sure you save this newly created folder. Now, copy and paste the entire, newly created FalloftheRisingSun UE MOD v1.0.1.g folder into the MODS folder within the SH4 main directory. Save all these 3 folders for backup by the way, you may need them again in the future.

I'm trying to be very specific so you don't screw up.

Look in your Mods Folder in SH4; you should see your FalloftheRisingSun UE MOD v1.0.1.g and 4 separately listed mods we briefly discussed above. If you see this, proceed.

Click on Generic Mods Enabler icon on your desk top. A small screen should pop up. You should see in the very left column, the same 5 items you saw in your Mods folder. You should see three buttons in the center: >, <, <<. And you will see an empty right hand column.

Now, individually highlight FalloftheRisingSun UE MOD v1.0.1.g and press >. This is a 1.6g file that will take a fair amount of time to install. Once it moves from the left column to the right column, Highlight the D3D9 antilag mod and press >. Once it moves from the left column to the right column, Highlight the strategic map symbols mod and press >. (The other 2 remaining mods, you might wish to try them later, but I would not.) You can load additional mods into your Mods folder at a later date. Now close the Generic Mod Enabler.

Word of Caution, if you wish to uninstall a mod, you MUST remove them (<) all in reverse order (last in, first out) until you get to the one you wish to uninstall. You can then reload (>) the others back in the proper order.

It's now time to launch the SH4 program from your desk top. If all has gone well, the game should launch with the Fall of the Rising Sun title page.

Sorry that it's so long winded but I hope it helps you out. Let me know. Best of luck.

DIRECTIONS WERE EDITED ABOUT MID-WAY. See additional instruction before starting.

Last edited by von Zelda; 11-19-19 at 01:41 AM.
Old 11-18-19, 05:06 PM   #8
Deep10
Watch

Icon14 Graphic mod

Well I can't thank you enough for your time and patients I will follow your instructions tomorrow when I'm fresh, I have come this far I might as well carry on, thank you again
Old 11-19-19, 01:31 AM   #9
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Deep10
See my edit above for one additional instruction.
Old 11-19-19, 08:50 AM   #10
Deep10
Watch

Default Graphic mod

Well its been quite a job and I'm afraid I still have not managed to do it after spending a total of 8 hours since 5.30am this morning, UK time, but the first 4 hours were totally my fault because I was using the Steam version 1.3 and the suddenly realised that when I did install some mods a few years ago successfully I installed my 1.5 version boxed Gold edition, so I installed that again and totally restarted the process again, and this time I actually got the mod installed and running and thought I had finally done it, but when in the control room tried to go to the bridge and it keeps crashing back to the desktop, after resisting the urge to throw the whole thing out of the window LOL, I have had it. But once again I do thank you for your help, its obviously me doing something wrong but I have no more energy left. I play all the Creative assembly Total War games and if you want to install a mod you simple download, run it and it installs, anyway thanks again.
Old 11-19-19, 11:55 AM   #11
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Sounds like you've had quite a learning experience. At least you were partly successful and you did get FotRS UE to run, but not fully as you would hope.

My experience is only with Silent Hunter games so can not speak as to how easy or difficult it is to mod compared to other games.

I use the Steam versions. FotRS UE will run smoothly on my SH4 (v1.3) plus SH4 Wolves of the Pacific with U-boat Missions (v1.5).

Prior to my recent trial of FotRS UE, I used Webster's Game Fixes Only Mod (known as GFO) plus additional Webster's individual mods as well as others (totaling 45 mods) with GREAT success. All installed with the Generic Mod Enabler as I detailed to you.

You might look at using your Gold Edition plus downloading Webster's GFO. Here's the SubSim site: https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=151796

Now that I know you have the Gold Box Edition, I'll ask some questions on other forums to see if there is a known conflict between it and FotRS UE.

I'll post here if I find any updates to offer. You do likewise. Don't give up on SH4 yet.
Old 11-19-19, 12:41 PM   #12
Deep10
Watch

Default Graphic mod

Thank you, your a star, I must have a breather though, cheers.
Old 11-19-19, 01:04 PM   #13
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default an early responce to my inquiry

Have received 1 quick suggestion:

"First of all, after 1.5 installed, apply LAA (included in FOTRSU pack) to your sh4.exe file. And put sh4.exe under W7 compatibility. Without this, you securely will go to CTD in the start."

You'll find Large Address Aware (LAA) under the Extras folder. Large Address Aware User Guide is under the Support menu.

I use Windows 7 so this probably would not have applied to my install but if you're on Windows 10, you probably need to run as Windows 7 compatibility as suggested above.

Don't give up yet.
Old 11-19-19, 01:44 PM   #14
Deep10
Watch

Default Graphic mod

Can't believe I'm trying again, but the folder which you say to create "FalloftheRisingSun UE MOD v1.0.1.g" which contains only the 2 folders "Data" and "Mods" activate across from left to right no problem, so does the "252_A3D9_AntiLag" Mod, but the strategic map symbols mod, before going across from left to right I get a warning which I can't copy and paste but it says, words to the effect of "activating this mod could adversely affect your game, and it gives a list of files saying they have already been modified by the main Mod".
Old 11-19-19, 01:59 PM   #15
Deep10
Watch

Default Graphic mod

Just as an update on my last post and hoping I have actually done it, it seems to be working, I have actually got from the control room to the bridge and other locations OK, I am moving out of Pearl, but the problem with that file which I mentioned about being warned is still there but apart from that, so far, so good

Tags
graphics, mods