Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-23, 04:02 PM   #107
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

A GTX-1080TI is around 40% higher in benchmark scores than the 1660. I do not want to promise you that you can run the G2 smoothly, Markus. That thing has a lot of pixels.

However: you can see to secure a deal where you can give back the set if it does not work for you. By German laws, in Germany that is automatically the case when ordering in an online shop, and with Amazon i have never had an issue with giving something back if it was no foreign trader than Amazon.

Second, you can see how the set works if you reduce the so-called pixel-density. Even if reducing it to the mionimum it still looks much better than my old Oculus Rioft form 6 years ago. But I run mine at a reduced level, too (without noticing too much difference), so you may not have too much room for further reductions, too.

Theoretically my i7 8700K is slightly faster than your Ryzen, too, but the benchmarks I just saw imply only a very small gap, you need a magnifier to see them, so I would assume the CPU would not be the problem. Guaranteeing it I cannot. Also, its AMD versus Intel. It must not mean but maybe can make a difference - I just do not know.

Your call. If you can give back a bought VR set, and you are really eager to get it, i would say: get one and see if it works well enough. If not, you can give it back. Treat it well during testing, therefore. If your run into questions and problems, ask, I see if I can help or know the answers.

Good luck!
Old 01-17-23, 04:43 PM   #108
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Thank you so much for your input..

The money I won will arrive in the beginning of next month. So I will place the order then.

Markus

Old 01-17-23, 04:48 PM   #109
Skybird
Soaring

You "won"? Horses? Cards? Lottery?

You must not answer of course, if you don't want. I'm asking of curiosity only.
Old 01-17-23, 04:54 PM   #110
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

I won in our National State Lottery A little under 300.000 Danish Kroner or 38500 Euro.

Markus

Old 01-17-23, 05:38 PM   #111
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
I won in our National State Lottery A little under 300.000 Danish Kroner or 38500 Euro.

Markus
Aber Hallo! Congrats! Thats a solid win, but maybe keep the number off forums.
Old 01-17-23, 05:45 PM   #112
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post

Markus

You were always my favorite poster on this board.
Old 01-17-23, 08:18 PM   #113
Skybird
Soaring

For Newbies to the G2 Reverb, some of this might be helpful and answers some questions.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...svAXCSUoDwNbCC

SteamVR and Windows Mixed Reality for Steam VR must be downloaded and installed, if not already installed.
Old 01-17-23, 09:41 PM   #114
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Regarding "best headset", the optics in G2 are amongst the highest resolution, which is a plus, but the set's hand controllers are mediocre in tracking precision.
I concur with this. The G2 is a great "sitting man's" VR, where it falls short vs its competition is indeed the way it tracks not only the controllers but you as a whole. This downside of the G2 is woefully apparent in games like Blade & Sorcery, where you have multitude of large melee weapons you can use. Swinging a Zweihander for example becomes quite wobbly as your other hand tends to go behind your head and thus out of reach of the headsets cameras which track the visible light controllers.

Since you have the money (Congrats!), I'd suggest you to do research on the various VR sets out there. The G2 is a good VR set, but it does have some nasty downsides to it as well.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-23, 05:43 AM   #115
Skybird
Soaring

Sounds as if you got yours meanwhile, Dowly!?

I hope the things you mentioned, which I think all are correct except one (more on that at the bottom), did not surprise you. I repeated these things several times to make sure that everbyody, if he follows my praise and buys the G2, knows where its strenght lies- but also its weakness. Trakcign the handconbtroller sis somehtign that other sets do betterm, namely those with external - "lighthouse" - tracking.

The video I posted on comparing the headsets of the present has it much right, I think. The Vive is and always was overpriced and is a bit outdated by now, though very precise in hand tracking, they say. The Pico 4 is independent from PC specs, since it processes the VR data itself, but is battery-dependent and the calculating power is limited, so some things do not work in it: Google Earth for exmaple, thats a must have app in my book and thus I will never recommend the Pico 4 general. I assume with ACC and FS it would be overwhelmed, if it even launches them. I think you are also limited to the Pico 4 store and what it offers, though i may be wrong.

This year and for the first months of next year it seems nothing new is announced that represents another clear development leap in VR hardware. The biggest issues in my opinions are that the prices must come further down to not mroe thna the G2'S level, and that independent sets need to ge tthe processing power so that they cna run also the more demandinf apps like Googlm eaerth, FS, and the likes. In other words: standardization of software compatability: onbly VHS. Death to Video 2000, Betamax and the likes.

Quite some of the existing headsets are overpriced, imo. In this regard the G2 offers the by far best bang-for-the-buck ratio, I think.

Myself, I lost table tennis and tennis, yes, but still I have never regretted to have moved from the Rift to the G2. It was a revelation in image quality.

Also, to say this clear: normal tasks that do not demand quick and precise and superfast handmovements like in certain games, can be perfectly accomplished and without compromise with the G2 controllers, although one sometimes needs to find workarounds for compatability issues.

Best advice is to always start software in VR from within the Steam Home, and leave the system time to mount and recognise hardware and controllers before moving to the next software step: Mixed Reality first, then controllers, then Steam VR, then Steam Home. Let the rig always settle down between every step.

Also, Google Earth should be started form within Steam Home, if the Steam version of Google Earth is used, also the controllers get easily messed up.

Dowly, you indicated your whole body tracking is not great. That could be because your surrounding is too dark and needs to be lit up better. The darker it gets in the room, due to fading daylight for example, the wobblier it indeed gets. If the cameras can see the surrounding place clearly, then I have absolutely no difference to the flawless body and position-in-space tracking of the Rift, and the G2. Light up your room. I say this because I do not have your described problem when I light up my room, your issue is then non-existent for me.

Last edited by Skybird; 01-18-23 at 05:51 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-23, 08:09 AM   #116
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

To put you at ease, I didn't get the G2 based on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Dowly, you indicated your whole body tracking is not great. That could be because your surrounding is too dark and needs to be lit up better. The darker it gets in the room, due to fading daylight for example, the wobblier it indeed gets. If the cameras can see the surrounding place clearly, then I have absolutely no difference to the flawless body and position-in-space tracking of the Rift, and the G2. Light up your room. I say this because I do not have your described problem when I light up my room, your issue is then non-existent for me.
I think you misread/misunderstood what I meant. I don't have problems with body tracking, but controller tracking in cases where your hand needs to go past the camera range. A better example would perhaps be throwing a grenade or a javelin, where your hand needs to extend behind your back. It's not a huge issue, but nevertheless something one needs to keep in mind and adapt to when using the G2.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-23, 12:44 PM   #117
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
To put you at ease, I didn't get the G2 based on this thread.

I think you misread/misunderstood what I meant. I don't have problems with body tracking, but controller tracking in cases where your hand needs to go past the camera range. A better example would perhaps be throwing a grenade or a javelin, where your hand needs to extend behind your back. It's not a huge issue, but nevertheless something one needs to keep in mind and adapt to when using the G2.
Ah yes, I see. Yes, your description is absolutely correct, it is like you say. And it is logical, every headset having the tracking cameras in the helmet has this issue. What the camera does not see, cannot get tracked. One of the reasons why lighthouse tracking (external sensors) is more precise.

I wish I could make the two camera masts from my Rift work together with the G2 helmet and recognising the controllers. That would be phantastic. AFAIK it just does not work. It was the Rift helmet going defunct, the two camera sensors I still have, they are not broken at all.
Old 01-18-23, 04:24 PM   #118
Skybird
Soaring

I just returned from the virtual cinema, the "Classic Cinema" it was, and there I watched much of this 3 hours film, landscapes and impressions from most beautiful Austria. The film is in 8K, so can be watched in ordinary 2D as well. What an unbelievably beautiful place. Almost supranatural. And then on a big movie screen. For some things, TVs and monitors simply are too small.

Old 01-18-23, 04:31 PM   #119
Skybird
Soaring

AIR PANO VR

If however sightseeing cities and nature impressions in 360° Videos is more your thing, these guys have great stuff to explore , I especially was stunned a bit by places in Montenegro:

https://www.youtube.com/c/AirPanoVR

Especially flying over the sea of lights of several American metropoles at sunset and night, is breathtaking.

There is also a long flight of a Russian combat helicopter squadron over Moscow, apparently in an exercise for an upcoming parade because they lined the flightpath up with the Red Plaza before the Kremlin. 11 I think KA-28. Ride of the Valkyries, here I come (no, its a peaceful flight demonstration, no war movie).
Old 01-18-23, 05:46 PM   #120
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Skybird can you recommend a good VR game which fit a newbie like me.

A game or Scenario where I walk in the nature..so I get used to these VR glasses.

You posted a video about kayaking I really liked that but is it for a newbie.

Markus