SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-17-23, 03:09 PM   #1876
Rod999
Watch

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0

Have been away from SH3 for years. Recently coming back I tried all the supermods from the last years. Onealex was the one I liked the most until I found Fifi's enhanced NYGM mod. This mod is absolutely amazing in every aspect. For me, what stands out by far compared to other mods is the very realistic environment, the weather changes, clouds etc. that create an emergence I have never experienced before. So, a big THANK YOU to you Fifi. Keep up the great work!
Cheers!
Rod999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-23, 01:44 AM   #1877
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 456

Thank you for your kind words That’s good to be supported like that

Old 11-18-23, 09:43 AM   #1878
bweiss
Loader

Downloads: 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doolar View Post
bweiss, I normally play with CREW FATIGUE - off. I haven't followed your post closely. What exactly will your changes bring to SH3. You have my attention and I might be interested. No hurry and thank you.
Well I'm not really changing anything other than to add NYGM CMM 1.1 fatigue model to the SH3 Cmdr, "Use Fatigue Model", option in the Gameplay Settings.

However, it is only the CMM fatigue model, and not all the bells and whistles that were originally a part of the NYGM CMM 1.1, that I'm trying to use. Not the entire mod. In brief, NYGM CMM's goal was to reorient the game so that tonnage acquired/destroyed, effected renown, crew morale, and a bunch of other stuff I've forgotten, but essentially it was just another means of attempting to make SH3 more realistic. As such, the fatigue model was wrapped around those concepts and geared towards that end essentially effecting how the overall game career played out. Now the question I still have is; by just cutting out the fatigue model and putting it in SH3 Cmdr by itself (and not the associated "Medals and renown.cfg" file, let alone all the other CMM files), I'm not entirely sure of the final result. I'm testing it now. I was hoping someone that might have already done this would wander in here and enlighten us. But no, we're on our own on this one I fear...

The "final result" being, since I'm only using the fatigue model and not all of the other aspects of NYGM CMM, it remains to be seen just how this works out. So far in my testing, so good. But this is but one patrol. What happens over the course of an entire career is another question since NYGM CMM was built around the concept of effecting promotions, medals, renown, morale, experience, exhaustion, etc., etc. Most of which I've dropped so that there would be no interference with Fifi's settings in Steel Coffin. Which are different than NYGM CMM. And I've dropped the use of all of the NYGM CMM files which included changes to the Submarine/NSS_Uboatxx.sim files, the aforementioned Medals and renown.cfg file, and changes to the en_menu.txt file and the 1024 file, plus other files. Many of which altered the various crew stations on the uboat.

Originally, NYGM CMM reduced the crew size for various compartments, so those files I didn't use call for reductions in crew zones and active zone slots, and CMM changes non-use zones to neutral, and also created neutral slots within the used zones. Like the engine room, which only required six crewman (I believe), in CMM and left two slots in that zone neutral. So if one put crew into those two slots, they did not suffer any fatigue. That won't work the way I've done it, those slots are now in use. Those kind of aspects can only be done if one loads the entire NYGM CMM 1.1 mod, and then we're back to interfering with Fifi's settings and potentially creating conflicts.

One main reason I prefer CMM over let's say, Kaa's model, is that NYGM CMM's fatigue model makes the unused zones neutral. Meaning that if one puts extra crewman in the stern torp section, when it is not in use, they do not gain or loose any fatigue. It's a neutral zone now when not in use (turn off auto-load). So extra crew placed there remain as they are fatigue wise. If you see what I mean, where Kaa's fatigue and GWX (at least as I'm testing them), do have some type of effects on the crew in the neutral zones.

Yes, one can avoid that altogether if you reduce your crew size to 39 or less, but most boats did have a 43 man crew. It varied of course, but 43 was a standard VIIC crew manifest historically. Besides, I've spent so many years using NYGM in one fashion or another, I'm now used to the CMM fatigue model and I still like it. Providing this turns out well.

So if I haven't confused you enough, all I'm doing is adding CMM's fatigue model to the SH3 Cmdr option for my use, while being careful not to create any conflicts with what Fifi's setting are geared to accomplish and avoid any conflict glitches in the game.

It's easy to do, just cut and paste the required fatigue section from the CMM file "Crew fatigue models.cfg", at the bottom of it and starts with "[4] Desc=NYGM CMM", and paste that into your SH3 Cmdr /Cfg/Crew fatigue models.cfg file (at the bottom of it), and change the [4] number to whatever the next number of fatigue models is, might be [5], or [8], depends on how many you have in there. When done, it will then show up in your SH3 Commander options under Game Settings as a fatigue model labled "NYGM CMM". Which I believe infers that the crew in the torp compartments are gaining experience as they suffer fatigue. Not so in neutral zones like diesel compartment when submerged. No fatigue there also means no experience gained there.

That's what I was trying to point out about CMM and it's neutral zones and neutral slots in active zones. They provided a safe spot for extra crew, but at a cost of experience like the bunking compartments except they didn't gain relief in those zones either.

Look at this... I been a Swabbie in this here forum since 2009, and I'm only now getting promoted to Watch crewman. Ppfffit!

Should a been at least a Rear Admiral by now...

Oh, forgot. In quick sets of testing CMM's fatigue model with SC v.5, it appears the bow torp compartment is active. Crew stationed there in high seas will incur fatigue at a normal rate even if not in use. The stern torp compartment is also active, but crew suffers a much lighter amount of fatigue when stationed there even when not in use. On the other hand, crew stationed in the diesel engine compartment when submerged, or in the electric engine compartment when surfaced do not suffer any fatigue nor gain any relief. I do not believe that is how CMM intended it so far as the bow torp and stern torp compartments, but as I say not using all their files may produce varying results other than what NYGM intended.

I'll add what I find out as I go along from time to time if anyone else is interested in using CMM's fatigue model with SC. Or be compulsive like me and cast hesitation, if not common sense, to the wind!

Last edited by bweiss; 11-18-23 at 11:57 AM.
bweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-23, 01:14 PM   #1879
Doolar
Expert Shipsinker

Downloads: 360
Default Thank you

Thanx for the highly detailed response
Old 11-18-23, 01:31 PM   #1880
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Downloads: 442

Bweiss,

Here is the link for your JSGME file for SH3 NYGM Crew Management Mod.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/9wakb...od+1.1.7z/file

https://www.mediafire.com/file/jvreo..._Files.7z/file

No guarantees, as it loads on my machine with no effort. Hopefully you will not have issues.

Best regards,
FUABR295

Last edited by FUBAR295; 12-10-23 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Added link for SH3 Cmdr file
FUBAR295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-23, 04:45 PM   #1881
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
You will not recognize the MFM ships in next update
They look much much better the new way:

As example, here the M06X in 2 skins
All the X models (neutrals) will have no more deck gun & AA empty platform remaining…

Beautiful targets!

Many thanks!

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-23, 05:19 PM   #1882
bweiss
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBAR295 View Post
Bweiss,

Here is the link for your JSGME file for SH3 NYGM Crew Management Mod.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/9wakb...od+1.1.7z/file

No guarantees, as it loads on my machine with no effort. Hopefully you will not have issues.

Best regards,
FUABR295

Thanks Fubar.

I ran a 4 day test patrol in high seas and overall just using the CMM fatigue model worked okay, as intended as it turns out I was wrong (3rd time since 1953).

The bow and stern torp compartments are "not" neutral zones in CMM's fatigue model. Just the unused engine compartment. So the torp compartments are as I see in my test, setup just as NYGM stated: Bow Torp Compartment is about 3x times the fatigue of the stern.

From the NYGM Readme for CMM 1.1:

"1. In general this mod is designed for two watch sections (port and starboard), however it's based on an 18 hour model (at full morale) so the crew won't get too tired. Crew members will tire faster in the engine rooms and bridge, and the bridge will tire faster in poor weather. Crew members in the bow torpedo room will tire 3x faster than any other compartment, though this compartment isn't normally manned. Keep this in mind when submerging though because it is the default location for the bridge crew. The engine room not in use is a "neutral zone". This means crew members will not recover efficiency in this room, but also will not lose it.
Quirk: Avoid putting seamen in the neutal zone. Any time you save the patrol, or exit and save, seamen in the neutral zone will be moved into the active engine room. This is a SH3 behavior I haven't figured out how to turn off. I'm not even sure turning it off is a good idea. You can avoid this quirk two ways: only put warrant officers without a machinist badge in the neutral zone (such as the medic) or put seamen/warrant officers in the stern torpedo room. Crew members occupying unintended slots will be outlined in blue and have a red circle & slash designation. These crew members should be moved to another slot or compartment."

The larger question hangs in the room. What happens to morale and health over the long haul just using CMM's fatigue model and not the rest of the mod?

The hoped for answer is, Fifi's settings take the place of the other CMM settings regarding those aspects for promotions, medals, morale, and exhaustion/health, and everything works out just dandy. The elephant in the room is; will that work out as intended over the course of an entire career or long patrol?

Unfortunately I do not possess the knowledge to know what all the settings in the CMM fatigue model crew config files mean, or change. So comparing them with other fatigue models is useless for me. All I can see is that CMM's fatigue model for SH3 Cmdr insertion is far larger than say Kaa or GWX, et al. So NYGM has a whole lot of something in there that's different.

It would appear that regardless of my desire not to, I'm a gonna have to take S3D seriously and figure out how to use it, and at least see what Fifi and CMM have in common or not, in those pesky Submarine sim files. The rest of CMM I think could be made to work with SC, but it would mean changing what Fifi's 10,000 foot level approach to career promotions/medals, etc, are. Yeah, back to that.

Don't know I'm up for that. Maybe after I get to know SC a bit better and how it works over the long haul. For now, I'm just going to use the CMM fatigue model via SH3 Cmdr. It will take a long combat patrol of weeks to months to see what ultimately happens to morale, health, and renown, etc., running the CMM fatigue model in this way. Otherwise I'm going to tread lightly on changing any of Fifi's settings. I'm tired of my past experienced in having to chase down a gazillion conflicts and fix them by adding so may mods over top of each other. You end up spending your time fixing the game instead of enjoying it.

Wow, thanks to Fifi's Steel Coffin I've written more stuff in here in a couple days than the last 14 years. It's a banner year. I even got promoted... will make Admiral yet, you'll see.

Last edited by bweiss; 11-18-23 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-18-23, 08:20 PM   #1883
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweiss View Post
Thanks Fubar.

I ran a 4 day test patrol in high seas and overall just using the CMM fatigue model worked okay, as intended as it turns out I was wrong (3rd time since 1953).

Glad it worked for you out of the box. Getting the menu_1028_768 to work was the hard part.

Old 11-18-23, 11:42 PM   #1884
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Forgot to add to SH3 Cmdr files for the NYGM Crew Management so here are the links again :

https://www.mediafire.com/file/9wakb...od_1.1.7z/file

https://www.mediafire.com/file/jvreo..._Files.7z/file

Good hunting,
FUBAR295

Last edited by FUBAR295; 12-10-23 at 10:54 AM. Reason: New link for SH3 Cmdr file
Old 11-23-23, 10:40 AM   #1885
Fifi
Navy Seal

Just finished the new M12B

Old 11-24-23, 01:01 PM   #1886
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
Just finished the new M12B

It looks very nice.

Question: with the hardcore vanilla GUI, I don´t have the "help" of the WO. Is there some way to activate /restore it? I like to play with manual targeting, but attacking great convoys I like to call my WO and request some little help...

Mnay thanks for the work!

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-23, 03:08 PM   #1887
bweiss
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
It looks very nice.

Question: with the hardcore vanilla GUI, I don´t have the "help" of the WO. Is there some way to activate /restore it? I like to play with manual targeting, but attacking great convoys I like to call my WO and request some little help...

Mnay thanks for the work!

Fitzcarraldo

Oh, oh, I get to help somebody. If you select manual targeting in the difficulty settings, and uncheck the "No WO Assistance", or something on that order, then you get the speed, range, and AOB, course all input automatically, but he won't give you the specifics on screen. It's input to the TC by the WO, and the WO also won't give target type or range on screen. Otherwise you get a pretty accurate shot. It also changes some things if you're using the single contact ability. I use it, but limit it to 10 km range, and these settings will block out the type/name of the ship, and just show the NE/NW/SE/etc., direction and the little black box. No ID.

There is also a modifier out there somewhere to dummy down the WO's estimates on range, course, speed and AOB when you set things to use Manual targeting, but allow the WO to assist, so as to not make it too easy but still allow the WO to assist. There were different percentages of accuracy for which one could modify files to their liking but I forget the name of the mod, (dunno if Fifi used it in this). I don't use manual targeting.

Now, I need help from someone. Anyone know how to disable the current SC5 "N" key? It's from the mod that gives the Max/Min 128 speed which has become popular, but I don't use it and it creates issues for me when like I try to save a patrol file and use the name ANxx, or anything with an "n" in it. Soon as I hit the N key even when saving the game, it pops up a message that I've entered the 128 zone, and if I return to the game without saving, or when I reload it, I'm doing 128 Mph. Cops don't like that.

Caused me to hit bottom in shallow water other day.

Someone please tell me how to disable the N key 128 Max/Min setting/

Thanks,

Last edited by bweiss; 11-25-23 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-24-23, 08:52 PM   #1888
Doolar
Expert Shipsinker

Downloads: 360
Default Re

This is justa guess, I don't use the function but you might have depressed the Shift key or Ctrl key. Maybe even the Caps Lock is on.

From the Read Me:

Shift+N X128 (Blocked)
Ctrl+N X128 (Unblocked)

Just a shot in the dark ... Jerry
Old 11-25-23, 10:05 AM   #1889
bweiss
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doolar View Post
This is justa guess, I don't use the function but you might have depressed the Shift key or Ctrl key. Maybe even the Caps Lock is on.

From the Read Me:

Shift+N X128 (Blocked)
Ctrl+N X128 (Unblocked)

Just a shot in the dark ... Jerry

I think you're right. I read that you quoted above on the F1 key last night and dawned on me that the Save Patrol function operates in lower case and upper case keys. I usually save patrol files with the grid number first, like AN370110, so I know the grid and the day and month of the save.

I guess so as long as I don't use the upper case "N", I'm okay. Pffft.

Would still like to disable it. I'll have to track down that mod that originally hosted this idea, and see what they did so I can safely remove it. I don't want to hose up the key sets guessing at it.

Anyone remember the name of that mod? The 128 min/max setting mod that is, or did that pop out of one of the Super mods?
Old 11-25-23, 01:48 PM   #1890
Fifi
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweiss View Post
Anyone remember the name of that mod? The 128 min/max setting mod that is, or did that pop out of one of the Super mods?
The shift+N x128 feature is from Hsie option selector (Stiebler part, from memory)