SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-17-13, 09:04 PM   #1
Maniacles
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Assigned grid square null

Is there a mod or tweak for SH3 hat will make the assigned grid patrol area always null?

I love the game, but I would love even more to be able to take my u-boat where ever I want and hunt convoys until I run out of torps. without loosing points for not reaching my grid square or finishing my patrol. Remember guys, I,m a newbie and very computer illiterate. Simple instructions would be GREATLY appreciated.
Maniacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-13, 09:20 PM   #2
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Have you tried going wherever you please? And looked how much renown it has cost? Contrary to disobeying orders given in the military, SH3 doesn't care. You'll only loose renown if you destroy neutrals, friendlies or buy something.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-13, 10:28 PM   #3
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

You do recieve a certain amount of renown for going to your assigned grid, but that is easily offset by sinking ships. If you use GWX that renown is removed anyway. As Pisces suggested, it's easy enough to just change the renown factors.

I haven't played in awhile and can't give you precise instructions, but there are those who can and it's a sure bet one of them will be along fairly soon.
Old 02-17-13, 10:46 PM   #4
Maniacles
Nub

Downloads: 0
Default Grid square null

Thanks guys, I feel much better now about just going out and munching on convoys.
Maniacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-13, 09:06 AM   #5
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

You do not have renoun taken away from you, you just do not receive what you would get for going there and doing the patrol time. Like Steve said, in GWX that renoun has been removed anyway. There is one other option, using SH3 Commander, you can set your own patrol grid to whatever you want. So it would not feel like you are disobeying orders.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-13, 09:19 AM   #6
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

I feel that the whole concept of going to an assigned grid and patrolling for 24 hours is somewhat unrealistic. And if you use GWX it is meaningless for renown purposes.

What I do now is use the assigned grid as an indicator of the area BDU wants me to patrol. DH39 is my latest grid so I stay in that general area, west of Africa and east of Madeira for at least a couple of weeks. If I don't have any luck, I'll go to the closest heavy traffic area, in this case the approaches to Gibraltar.

Good hunting.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-13, 10:40 AM   #7
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
I feel that the whole concept of going to an assigned grid and patrolling for 24 hours is somewhat unrealistic. And if you use GWX it is meaningless for renown purposes.
I always stay in my assigned grid for at least a week, and have a die-rolling system to tell me when to move and where. I also have empty patrols sometimes, and that is not to most players' liking.

Quote:
What I do now is use the assigned grid as an indicator of the area BDU wants me to patrol. DH39 is my latest grid so I stay in that general area, west of Africa and east of Madeira for at least a couple of weeks. If I don't have any luck, I'll go to the closest heavy traffic area, in this case the approaches to Gibraltar.
That is a good way to do it. I like that.
Old 02-18-13, 10:57 AM   #8
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
I also have empty patrols sometimes, and that is not to most players' liking.
Yes, but that is quite realistic. Many U-boats never sank a ship. In the previous patrol to my current one U-64 spent almost two months at sea, much of it off Nova Scotia, but only saw and sank one ship. Disappointing and frustrating but to me realistic. It's what I like about SH3/GWX.

Quote:
That is a good way to do it. I like that.
Thank you.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-13, 09:02 PM   #9
HW3
Navy Seal

I hang out in my assigned grid for at least a week, usually longer because the traffic is not "bumper to bumper" on the shipping lanes. There can be a week between ships/convoys at times, so 24 hours is not long enough to wait.

Old 02-25-13, 06:23 PM   #10
Blaydon
Nub

Downloads: 10

I have been taking it more as a suggestion, my current assignment is BE59 but as far as i am concerned that pretty much means the whole of area BE which is fine as it includes 3 convoy routes and one independent sailing route.

If the hunting turns out to be good here then I may plump for it again by setting it with SH Commander.
Old 02-25-13, 11:06 PM   #11
HW3
Navy Seal

The East side of BE59 should be a good hunting area depending on what time of the war your in.