SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Special Projects > Subsim Events & Activities > Eternal Patrol
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-21-09, 03:42 AM   #331
mcf1
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

May he rest in peace
mcf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-09, 02:19 PM   #332
S. N. Brown, PhD
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Alford was one of a kind, a real American hero.
Old 08-22-09, 09:19 AM   #333
Admiral Von Gerlach
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 358

The memorial service is coming up as i recall, I send my best wishes to you all ...daughters, family and friends and associates... hope all are doing well today, and everyday, and God Bless.
Old 08-23-09, 09:53 AM   #334
patti
VIP

Downloads: 1
Default Patti

Well, here goes. The memorial service for my Dad in Houston was wonderful. His coffin was flag draped finally,thank goodness ,as that is a big military honor and he certainly deserved it.

So many great things were said about my Dad and I learned so much about his life in Houston with the Sons of the Republic of Texas, the Cavalla( I knew about that) and so many other things that he did and people whose life he touched.

There were 3 flags presented. One was flown over the US Capital, one over the State of Texas Capital, and one from the USS Texas and that was presented by the Sailor of the Year. I sure hope I can get one of those flags for the memory of my Dad.

At the reception afterward there were more people that talked about Dad and then we all left and my sisters and I went to the hospital that Dad was in to leave a gift cert. for the nurses that kept us so well informed.

I need to tell a funny story now. We all decided we needed a margarita so we went to Chuy's on Westheimer and they were having a soft opening for friends and family ( well we went on in anyway) and all the drinks were $3.00 so my daughter Samantha ordered a great margarita for all of us in honor of Dad and maybe they will even name the drink after Dad "the Skipper" so if you are ever there ask for Kirsten ( I think that was her name- and ask her is she remembers the crazy group from the grand opening that had a splash of orange juice in the margarita) and see if they did name the drink after Dad.

I really want to thank everyone one of you that has posted on this site from day one, you all have been a life saver to me and to my sisters. All of us to go this site daily to read the comforting words about my Dad.
His final service will be at Arlington National Cemetery on Nov. 30, 2009 at 9:00 am.:salute :

Patti
patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-09, 11:59 AM   #335
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

I attended Capt. Zeb's Celebration Service with Mark (Mookie). It was a beautiful, moving ceremony. In attendance were his wife Joan, her family, Zeb's four daughters Patti, Peggy, Jane, and Katie and their families, and a large number of friends. There were three eulogies given.

His daughter Peggy Alford gave four wonderful, personal memorials by her three sisters and herself.

Rear Admiral Albert Kelln, USN (ret) gave a eulogy that highlighted Zeb's remarkable career in the US Navy, his zeal and devotion to country and his shipmates.

Barry Battlestein, a close friend of Zeb's, shared some memories.

State Representative Debbie Riddle shared some thoughtful words and presented one of the flags.

Afterward, Mark and I met and spoke with many wonderful people who attended the service, including Bruce, Joe Shook (SubVet and CHF Board member), Gil Raynor (orginal CHF Secretary), Ms. Riddle, Captain Jim Gray (USS Texas skipper), Mr. Carter Conlin of the Navy League, and many others.

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 08-24-09 at 12:35 AM. Reason: fixed a typo
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-09, 12:02 PM   #336
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

It was a truly beautiful service befitting a true American hero. I was honored to have attended.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-09, 01:41 PM   #337
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

Rest in peace and fair winds.

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-09, 01:55 PM   #338
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

I am pleased to hear the ceremony went as well as his family would/could have wished.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-09, 04:03 PM   #339
Admiral Von Gerlach
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 358

Patti, Peggy, Jane, and Katie, I am so glad the memorial went well and was such a special time for you all and for the memory of your dad. Neal and Mark I am very glad you were there to be there and to also represent all of us who care a lot and appreciate so much Capt Alford's dedication to so much. It is hard when someone special passes on but the comfort is that their spirit and the love that they shared remains with those who were part of both, and it has been both an homour and a deep gift for all the sharing here and for us to be able to honour a special man who serves us all .... God Bless you all and I will mark November 30th on my calender for special prayers and rememberance. I will ask a family member who is the keeper of a special emblem of honour to mark that day too, in Navy style, i will write you girls about this, and in the meantime, God Bless all the famliy and friends of the Captain and thank you Neal for giving us this chance to honour the Skpper's service, life and family here.

Salute
Old 08-23-09, 07:33 PM   #340
peggy
VIP

Downloads: 0
Default We thank you, Neal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
I attended Capt. Zeb's Celebration Service with Mark (Mookie). It was a beautiful, moving ceremony. In attendance were his wife Joan, her family, Zeb's four dauthers Patti, Peggy, Jane, and Katie and their families, and a large number of friends. There were three eulogies given.

His daughter Peggy Alford gave four wonderful, personal memorials by her three sisters and herself.

Rear Admiral Albert Kelln, USN (ret) gave a eulogy that highlighted Zeb's remarkable career in the US Navy, his zeal and devotion to country and his shipmates.

Barry Battlestein, a close friend of Zeb's, shared some memories.

State Representative Debbie Riddle shared some thoughtful words and presented one of the flags.

Afterward, Mark and I met and spoke with many wonderful people who attended the service, including Bruce, Joe Shook (SubVet and CHF Board member), Gil Raynor (orginal CHF Secretary), Ms. Riddle, Captain Jim Gray (USS Texas skipper), Mr. Carter Conlin of the Navy League, and many others.

Dear Neal,

What a pleasure it was to meet you this weekend. My sister Katie and I thank you for arranging a ride for us from the airport. Her husband, son, and I really appreciated your heartfelt generosity...it was above and beyond, I assure you. Tam, the driver, was a lovely man...he was right there as we came out of the baggage area. The car was luxurious and he was a safe driver and got us to our hotel swiftly. I had no idea you and your daughters were coming in from a 16 hour drive from Kansas. It was our joy to have you join us for lunch...we enjoyed getting to know you and your daughters, and really appreciated your making the time to join our family, when a good nap would have felt great I'm sure. I really liked hearing the story of how you got this web site started, and it has been a blessing for us girls in these days since our father died. I imagine you would not have known how much it would help 4 daughters in 2009, when you started it.

We appreciate your being at the service for Dad, and thank you for your comments about it. We all thought it was a perfect way to say our goodbyes to Dad. We were heartened to see all the fine people who were able to be there.

Thank you for bringing us back to the airport the day after Dad's service. You made our trip there seamless and what a pleasure it was not having to deal with logistics of transportation. I'm glad you and my father knew each other. I have a hunch he thoroughly enjoyed his times with you.

My family thanks you very much for your kindness toward us. My Dad would have been grateful.

God bless you,

Peggy
peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-09, 07:46 PM   #341
peggy
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Von Gerlach View Post
Patti, Peggy, Jane, and Katie, I am so glad the memorial went well and was such a special time for you all and for the memory of your dad. Neal and Mark I am very glad you were there to be there and to also represent all of us who care a lot and appreciate so much Capt Alford's dedication to so much. It is hard when someone special passes on but the comfort is that their spirit and the love that they shared remains with those who were part of both, and it has been both an homour and a deep gift for all the sharing here and for us to be able to honour a special man who serves us all .... God Bless you all and I will mark November 30th on my calender for special prayers and rememberance. I will ask a family member who is the keeper of a special emblem of honour to mark that day too, in Navy style, i will write you girls about this, and in the meantime, God Bless all the famliy and friends of the Captain and thank you Neal for giving us this chance to honour the Skpper's service, life and family here.

Salute
Dear Admiral,

I appreciate the kindess that comes through your words. I regret I was not able to meet you...I hope you are feeling better and getting through surgery well. I remember you said something about that. The service was very special to us, and such a blessing to have many wonderful people there who paid tribute to my Dad. It was a memorable celebration of his life.

Take good care,

Peggy
Old 08-23-09, 10:02 PM   #342
peggy
VIP

Default Hi Mookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookiemookie View Post
It was a truly beautiful service befitting a true American hero. I was honored to have attended.
MookieMookie,

Thank you very much for paying tribute to my Dad...we daughters really appreciate your being at his service. And your words were nice to hear.

Peggy
Old 08-24-09, 10:54 AM   #343
Distortion
A-ganger

Downloads: 194

when your hero falls from grace
all fairy tales r uncovered
myths exposed and pain magnified
the greatest pain discovered
u taught me 2 be strong
but im confused 2 c u so weak
u said never 2 give up
and it hurts 2 c u welcome defeat
when ure hero falls so do the stars
and so does the perception of tomorrow
without my hero there is only
me alone 2 deal with my sorrow
your heart ceases 2 work
and your soul is not happy at all
what r u expected 2 do
when ure only hero falls

Rest in peace,

Robert
Distortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-09, 08:45 PM   #344
Baby Katie
VIP

Downloads: 2
Default Neal Stevens, Mookie-Mookie, Adm Von Gerlach

Well I can not say enough about all these men and people who supported us while we were in Houston at Dad's Funeral - I was given the honor of giving Dad his Last Farewell Salute since I was his Military daughter and it meant so much to me. I loved seeing the Sailor in his sailor outfit who spoke and was the first recipient of Dad's schlorship he started for something to do with sailors. I don't remember getting any schlorships and we were his 4 sailors all his life. How funny
Thank-you again - esp Neal for all you did for Peggy and me - You know what I'm talking about
Love to all
Baby Katie
Baby Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-09, 06:39 PM   #345
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

hi Katie,

thanks for the kind words and the coffee card, that was sweet of you guys.

I found some more pics of Zeb I wanted to share with you. These were taken at the Captain's Banquet during the Texas commissioning ceremonies.

Capt. Zeb Alford, Joan Alford, and friend

Me, and Zeb, and two other fellows whose names escape me at the moment....

Zeb during the entertainment portion of the event. He was playing the role of Admiral Nimitz in a musical.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote