Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-18-22, 06:54 AM   #151
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Since Musk is so effectively destroying Twitter, can we have him buy Facebook next?
Microsoft first, please.
Old 11-18-22, 07:18 AM   #152
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

To stay a little off topic.

There were many public Danes who said they would deactivate their Twitter account when and if Musk buy Twitter.

Musk is now the owner.....and these Danes who had threaten to...are still there..talking about being hypocrite.

Back to discuss E-car Vs Gas car.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-22, 08:16 AM   #153
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by les green01 View Post
i don't drive nothing newer than a 1980 anything newer is junk
Generally, anything newer looks like a shoe box on wheels. There are of course, exceptions. Further, with all the sophisticated electronics on newer vehicles, It's virtually impossible to work on your own car without expensive equipment.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-22, 10:12 AM   #154
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
Generally, anything newer looks like a shoe box on wheels. There are of course, exceptions. Further, with all the sophisticated electronics on newer vehicles, It's virtually impossible to work on your own car without expensive equipment.
Consideirng the degree to which these cars all are constantly connected with mother and collect data and send them somewhere, one can ask the question whether your car indeed is your own car - and not theirs. Like with computers and Windows 10, 11. As I see it, they lend the cars only - at a hilarioulsy high rent.
Old 11-18-22, 10:44 AM   #155
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146

I was once very excited about the sleek, futuristic look of the Aptera when it was first revealed. However, a man's "mission" defines the type of vehicle that the mission necessitates. For a very long time now i have been in a space in my life that required the long haul, long duration endurance towing capability offered by a heavy duty pickup truck. I had tools, equipment, travel trailer, ladders - everything i needed to not only live long term away from home, but also perform all of my work related duties while there - absolutely had to fit in, on and behind that truck and it had to carry the load sometimes 1,200 miles or more in a 48 hour period.

The offerings from electric car manufacturing that would do that, do not currently exist to my knowledge.

now, i am at a point where my Mission has definitely changed. BUT my truck is paid for free and clear, with a bumper to bumper power train lifetime warranty. Do i really want to sink cash into yet another vehicle? Financially for me right now it doesnt make much sense to do that.

On the longer term i see something similar to cash for clunkers like we had several years back. A government subsidized program in which you receive special financial incentives to trade in your gas burner vehicle for a select series of electric vehicles.

My fear is, we would be putting our eggs in one basket with EVs

when the great power outtage in the freak snow storm that wiped out most of the Texas electrical grid hit us (my home remained unaffected by this), however my in laws both in their 70s had no power. For the older folks out there this can be a life threatening situation. I was still able to load up my big off road 4x4 gas guzzler and drive across the frozen tundrascape to get them and bring them to our warm house with wood burning fireplace and cooking capabilities and running water etc. If i had an EV at the time, this simply would not have been possible for me to do.

with aggressive nations having access to nuclear weapons, how would an EMP impact the USA in 30 years when everyone has EVs? we would be in the horse and buggy days overnight. Let alone a natural disaster than leaves entire swaths of the gulf coast or atlantic coast without power for 2 or 3 days. what im getting at is - despite the rise of EVs, i believe that fuel burners will always have a place on our roads.
Old 11-18-22, 10:54 AM   #156
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRivet View Post
The offerings from electric car manufacturing that would do that, do not currently exist to my knowledge.
You just have an incompatible mindset, you old-fashioned fossile. The way is the goal now, man. Take your time, this also benefits your work-life-balance.

And your income. But you cannot eat money anyway, so what do you lose!? Nothing!

Old 11-18-22, 11:05 AM   #157
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

If everyone pitching EVs had experience with battery powered vs gas golf carts they wouldn't be so keen to push EVs on everyone.
Old 11-20-22, 06:45 PM   #158
Skybird
Soaring

Asking for curiosity, regarding e-cars in general, not just Teslas:

Imagine there is a flood desaster, and the waters stands in the street as high as your hips. Subterraenas garages have it uo to the ceiling. Appartments at base floor (1stz floor) are under water.

What is with e-cars and their batteries being drowned in water? Sounds not like an ideal combination, high voltage batteries and plenty of water submerging them.
Old 11-20-22, 08:51 PM   #159
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Asking for curiosity, regarding e-cars in general, not just Teslas:

Imagine there is a flood desaster, and the waters stands in the street as high as your hips. Subterraenas garages have it uo to the ceiling. Appartments at base floor (1stz floor) are under water.

What is with e-cars and their batteries being drowned in water? Sounds not like an ideal combination, high voltage batteries and plenty of water submerging them.

I'm wondering what happens to Teslas in really bad winters when salt is used on the roads?
Old 11-21-22, 12:23 AM   #160
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Modern gas cars that get flooded into the interior are screwed anyway so I doubt it really matters. Everybody needs to by 1964 beetles.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-22, 06:48 AM   #161
Skybird
Soaring

I am not asking about the car being ruined but the danger of electric power freed into the surrounding water - harming, maybe killing people swimming nearby. Electric eel effect.

Also chemical intoxication of the environment due to agents freed from the battery.

In e-car racing leagues, I read and saw that after an accident or when a car came to standstill, drivers are instructed to either sit still until the outside crew has made sure there is no electric currents on the chassis, or to not touch and step upon certain parts of the chassis in case it may be under electric power.

We all may recall household items, lamps and such, where we felt a certain low dose of electricty when we touched them, may it be a button, or a lamp pole, or a front plate. Should not be so - but happens.

Batteries in e-cars are located at the bototnm of the car, so they are the seocnd thing coming into contact if water is rising outside (after the wheels). And an accident may have cracked any isolation capsule. Bad manufacturing or a defective material/component also may open water a way to the battery. A tiny crack is enough. A gas tank leaking is not dangeorus as long as you do not ignite a spark in its vicinity. How is it about water and electric batteries in cars?
Old 11-21-22, 09:27 AM   #162
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Good thing Teslas will probably not burn under water.
Batteries may still explode there though ..

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-22, 09:29 AM   #163
Skybird
Soaring

But could you get electrocuted if you stand in the water near to the car?
Old 11-21-22, 11:07 AM   #164
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

I think the bigger problem is Teslas have the British frigate versus the Argentinian Exocet effect of becoming raging metal fires that are apparently very hard to extinguish. https://www.insurancejournal.com/news/national/2022/10/17/690430.htm

Sit in it if you want, but I'd get the hell out.
Old 01-03-23, 12:52 AM   #165
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRivet View Post

I was once very excited about the sleek, futuristic look of the Aptera when it was first revealed. However, a man's "mission" defines the type of vehicle that the mission necessitates. For a very long time now i have been in a space in my life that required the long haul, long duration endurance towing capability offered by a heavy duty pickup truck. I had tools, equipment, travel trailer, ladders - everything i needed to not only live long term away from home, but also perform all of my work related duties while there - absolutely had to fit in, on and behind that truck and it had to carry the load sometimes 1,200 miles or more in a 48 hour period.

now, i am at a point where my Mission has definitely changed. BUT my truck is paid for free and clear, with a bumper to bumper power train lifetime warranty. Do i really want to sink cash into yet another vehicle? Financially for me right now it doesnt make much sense to do that.

On the longer term i see something similar to cash for clunkers like we had several years back. A government subsidized program in which you receive special financial incentives to trade in your gas burner vehicle for a select series of electric vehicles.

My fear is, we would be putting our eggs in one basket with EVs

when the great power outtage in the freak snow storm that wiped out most of the Texas electrical grid hit us (my home remained unaffected by this), however my in laws both in their 70s had no power. For the older folks out there this can be a life threatening situation. I was still able to load up my big off road 4x4 gas guzzler and drive across the frozen tundrascape to get them and bring them to our warm house with wood burning fireplace and cooking capabilities and running water etc. If i had an EV at the time, this simply would not have been possible for me to do.

with aggressive nations having access to nuclear weapons, how would an EMP impact the USA in 30 years when everyone has EVs? we would be in the horse and buggy days overnight. Let alone a natural disaster than leaves entire swaths of the gulf coast or atlantic coast without power for 2 or 3 days. what im getting at is - despite the rise of EVs, i believe that fuel burners will always have a place on our roads.
Having recently acquired a battery standby solar system and explored possibly getting a Tesla EV as well as (ex-longhaul trucker) taking a look at the Tesla battery big rig 18-WHEELER...aside from the issue of some polluting powerplant providing recharge electricity, negating the ecological argument for an EV, "range anxiety" is of principal concern as U discuss. The bottom line is: an EV cannot get U from point A to point B with minimal fuss. Recharge time, poor recharge-station infrastructure (as with hydrogen fuel stations for the Toyota Mirai) has left me contented with my '86 Camry and "05 Corolla, both with 275,000 low maintenance miles with minimal 'range anxiety'...and paid for! And I don't care for Elon Musk either...
https://www.geotab.com/blog/range-anxiety/

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrics cars, tesla