SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-07-13, 07:12 AM   #1
Telemon
Helmsman

Downloads: 288
Uploads: 0
Default Returning to duty but having problems.

Greetings,
I am just returning to SH3/GWX3 after a long absence. Started a new career and am on first patrol. Two curious occurrences which I don’t understand.
Scenario 1.
I’m in the Western Approaches and have intercepted a large convoy in the midst of which is a Southampton class cruiser. I’ve estimated convoy speed as about 6kts. The cruiser’s range is round about 2000mtrs. I need an accurate range so, having identified it in the recce. manual and ticked the box and locked the target. I’ve gone to the attack ‘scope’ clicked range got the graticule and placed it on the target. Now here’s the thing. No matter how many times I try it won’t give me a range even when it is obviously down to less than a 1000mtrs. I know it won’t range if the target is too far away but can’t understand this. In the end I had to guess and fire a spread of four and got two hits but it was a waste. Any ideas?
Scenario 2.
Same patrol next night. I’ve picked up a sound contact which turn out to be an ore carrier and a medium cargo ship. I’m ahead and to stbd of them and the range is closing. I’ve shut down the engines to hold my position which looks to be ideal. At about 3000mtrs they alter course away I call for 2/3 ahead and get no response. A quick check in the engine room shows the Eng Off Eng POs and everyone else has full health. I’ve got the control room fully manned and healthy. Back to the bridge call in sequence for ½ , full and flank speed. Still nothing. I’m stationary and can’t move. What to do, targets moving away from me now. I decide to submerge and see if electrics work. Yes motors running smoothly so I come back to the surface and diesels work perfectly too.
Is this some new paralyzing ray the perfidious British have developed?
In both cases the weather was wind 15mtrs/sec, vis Moderate, no precipitation.
Telemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-13, 09:51 AM   #2
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Scenario 1: In heavy seas you won't be able to maintain a lock, that is how it was in RL.

Scenario 2: Do you have SH3 Commander installed? If so check you don't have malfunctions and sabotage enabled.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-13, 12:13 PM   #3
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

When number 2 happens, try ordering full reverse then back ahead and see if that fixes it. That has worked for me in the past.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-13, 04:37 AM   #4
Telemon
Helmsman

Downloads: 288

Thanks folks for the replies.

I don't have Cdr installed and I rather thought that the sea conditions were preventing moving ahead although I can't say I remember that happening when lasty I played.

On an after note I saw the abbreviation LHS in another post I think it was a mod. Could some one elucidate please the what and where amd how?
Telemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-13, 05:36 AM   #5
VONHARRIS
Konteradmiral

Downloads: 300

LHS = Living Silent Hunter

Thread : http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=159165
VONHARRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-13, 05:50 AM   #6
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Scenario 1: The range is not that important provided the torpedoes leave the tubes and continue almost straight ahead (gyro angle is between 350 and 010). It's is the speed that matters the most to be correct, to get the torpedoes on target. And AOB.

But the notepad procedure requires range first, to calculate speed based on AOB, range and the stopwatch time. If you determined speed by yourself in some other way (plotting for example) then you can set it manually in the TDC page: TDC switch set to manual, change speed dial, reset TDC to auto mode, open tubes, then aim on the target and fire. This way locking the scope is not even needed.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-13, 06:41 AM   #7
trindade
Watch

Downloads: 10

Hi all,
first of all i'd like to say thanks to the community for so much good info around here and for the hard work being done regarding mods and improvements! A special thanks for the GWX3 team!
Since i'm a noob I've been practising through the ( Academy ) training missions and i'm having this annoying problem with the engines that don't work. I'm just starting to learn this amazing sim so I realy don't know if i'm doing something wrong or not but the only way i can solve this is accelerating time for a while and then is working again. Sorry my poor english!

Cheers
trindade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-13, 11:39 AM   #8
Pisces
Silent Hunter

If the engines do not work, check the crew to see if they are tired. They stop working if the bar above the compartment drops below a certain level.

Or the engineer or navigation officer is not on station. So orders aren't followed.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-13, 01:31 PM   #9
David I
Ensign

Downloads: 360

Ocean Warrior had it right on problem #2. Many times when I have stopped at sea, I have ordered my sub to move forward at whatever speed and nothing happens. Solution, go into reverse until you see you speed indicator move, throw the machine into forward speed and off you go. Not sure what causes it to happen from time to time, but with solution so easy it's not a problem.

David I
David I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-13, 01:54 PM   #10
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

Quote:
When number 2 happens, try ordering full reverse then back ahead and see if that fixes it. That has worked for me in the past.
I should have added this usually happens to me when I am going through the locks and order reverse to keep from hitting the gates, and do not let the speed come up before ordering all stop. When the gates start to open and I order ahead, and nothing happens. I order full reverse, the engines start to run, I order ahead, and off we go.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote