SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Comments to SUBSIM Review
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-05-13, 03:34 PM   #1
Gungho
Watch

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 0
Default Non-recurring subscription/donation.

Hello,

I would like to donate, but not on a recurring basis - meaning I'd prefer to make my payment manually, rather than on an ongoing basis. I wasn't offered that option.

Would it be possible to do this, and if so, how?

It's not that the rates are unreasonable, just that I have an aversion to not controlling my outlay.

Thanks,

Gung.
Gungho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-13, 05:21 AM   #2
The Enigma
Seer of visions

Downloads: 31

Hi Gungho

As far as I know, there is no option offered to donate on a regular base.
That's entirely up to you.

Perhaps you are mislead by the "good for 6 months" or "good for 2 years" remark.
This remark refers to the title (or medal) you buy for that time period.
There is no obligation to donate again after that period.

These are the donation options I get when clicking on the "Donate" button:

Quote:
First Officer $5
First Officer level allows you to download up to 25 mods per day, upload your own custom avatar, get the Bonus Mods, and you are supporting the Subsim website! This level is good for 6 months, and may be renewed if you choose.

Captain $10
The Captain level allows you up to 40 downloads daily, access to the Bonus Mods, custom avatar and profile pic, and more album uploads. You are supporting the Subsim website and that's something to be proud of! This subscription is good for 6 months.

Admiral $20
The Admiral level allows you up to 60 downloads daily, access to the Bonus Mods, custom avatar and profile pic, and more photo album uploads. Your name will be added to the Beta roster; when a sub game developer asks Subsim for testers, we draw from this roster. This subscription is good for a full year.

Aces of the Deep $25
The Aces of the Deep level allows you up to 100 downloads daily, access to the Bonus Mods, custom avatar and profile pic, and more photo album uploads. Your name will be added to the Beta roster; when a sub game developer asks Subsim for testers, we draw from this roster. This subscription is good for 2 years. You will keep your avatar forever.

SUBSIM OVERLORD $50 and up
The SUBSIM OVERLORD level allows you up to 250 downloads daily, access to the bonus mods, a larger custom avatar and profile pic, more private messages, and more photo album uploads. Your name will be added to the Beta roster; when a sub game developer asks Subsim for testers, we draw from this roster. This subscription is good for 2 years. You will keep your avatar forever, receive a special thank you banner, a SUBSIM Fast Attack Fridge Magnet, and receive access to the Lord's Lounge.

The Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-13, 07:07 AM   #3
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

hi Gungho, thanks for supporting Subsim. You can go into Paypal and "cancel" the subscription any time you wish, even 2 minutes after you make it. That will not affect the donation you just made, but it will stop any recurring payments.

Also, if you were to donate and not cancel, as I understand it, Paypal will alert you before any future payments are due, if you did not "cancel". You will not be charged without notice.

thanks
Neal
Old 03-06-13, 07:20 AM   #4
The Enigma
Seer of visions

Downloads: 31

OK,
It seems I'm wrong then. There is a recurring mechanism.

@Neal
Does this also apply to the options when using the Donation button?
I wasn't aware of that.

The Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-13, 08:58 AM   #5
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
You can go into Paypal and "cancel" the subscription any time you wish, even 2 minutes after you make it. That will not affect the donation you just made, but it will stop any recurring payments.
That's what I had to do. I was surprised it worked that way, and I didn't realize it did until I looked at my PayPal statement.

On the other hand you're absolutely right. Once I figured it out cancelling the 'recurring' part was easy.