SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-02-22, 03:02 PM   #1
Jeff1959
Watch

Downloads: 99
Uploads: 0
Default Can't run program

After a sabbatical from SH4, I came back to play again. I had originally purchased the game through Amazon, so I redownloaded both the orginal version and the update to 1.5.

After installing, I could open and access the 1.3 version. However, when attempting to get the 1.4 patch or 1.5 installed, I get the dreaded red box "This program has been blocked for your protection."

So I came here and read posts on this issue. I uninstalled the program. I deleted any remaining debris. I reinstalled on an external drive. I turned off UAC. I went through regedit to kill UAC. I've restarted computer. I still get blocked.

Specs:
i5 2500 3.3mhz 4 core processor
Windows 10 Pro
8GB Memory
GForce GTX 660 2GB GPU
1 TB internal HD
2 TB External HD

The crappy thing is that I had SH4 1.5 running on this system at one time from the Program Files folder. According to all the information I can find, I should be fine running the program. But my stupid computer insists on protecting me from myself.

I know this is lengthy, but I wanted to give as much info as might be needed to help me out. I am ready to just delete it all and surrender.

Jeff
Jeff1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-22, 03:50 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

Jeff1959! on the surface after a long silent run! The infamous seven-year-itch strikes again?!!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-22, 05:29 PM   #3
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1959 View Post
After a sabbatical from SH4, I came back to play again. I had originally purchased the game through Amazon, so I redownloaded both the orginal version and the update to 1.5.

After installing, I could open and access the 1.3 version. However, when attempting to get the 1.4 patch or 1.5 installed, I get the dreaded red box "This program has been blocked for your protection."

So I came here and read posts on this issue. I uninstalled the program. I deleted any remaining debris. I reinstalled on an external drive. I turned off UAC. I went through regedit to kill UAC. I've restarted computer. I still get blocked.

Specs:
i5 2500 3.3mhz 4 core processor
Windows 10 Pro
8GB Memory
GForce GTX 660 2GB GPU
1 TB internal HD
2 TB External HD

The crappy thing is that I had SH4 1.5 running on this system at one time from the Program Files folder. According to all the information I can find, I should be fine running the program. But my stupid computer insists on protecting me from myself.

I know this is lengthy, but I wanted to give as much info as might be needed to help me out. I am ready to just delete it all and surrender.

Jeff
Am going out on a limb here... & guessing that when you did run SH4 before... it was NOT on a computer running Window's 10.

With 10... it is best, to NOT install SH4... (& My personal strongly worded suggestion, to NOT even install game launchers or their subsequent "libraries" in there, either... even though some (very bloody few) newer games, are supposed to be designed to run there... ) in either of Windows" Program file locations. At all.

It's best... if you have the means to do so.. of a 2nd bigger hard drive internally or externally... of setting up libraries there or, creating a folder labeled "Games" & install any games NOT requiring those bloody game launchers... for games that you bloody well paid for...

2ndly, after base install... did you right click & go into SH4.exe's "properties menu & select & make sure that, "read-only" was unselected, on the main, "General" tab... & that... at minimum, in the "compatibility's" tab, of check marking to 'run this program, as an admin'...????

On that, dreaded red box "This program has been blocked for your protection."... did or was there not, an option to bypass that warning & continue to see of installing or upgrading it from 1.3, to 1.4 then 1.5, by chance... as if memory serves Me on that there... it should have been an option to say yeah.. I am sure that I want to continue on, thank you very much... Microsoft...

As far as I can tell of... your spec's on computer, appear to be fine for being able to handle running SH4... & at base minimum, most newer games... for now, at any rate. The only 1 that I'm not... intimately familiar with, is on graphics cards... considering just how bloody many there are of them, out there, saturating the market... *sighs* but... consider it likely... that your 660 GTX, could run warp speed laps around My old nvidia 9800 GT... quite easily, without breaking a sweat...

At any rate... hope that this has been, helpful...

M. M.
Old 02-03-22, 03:44 PM   #4
Jeff1959
Watch

Downloads: 99

Thank you for the advice and suggestions.

I am not exactly sure what I did, but I am now able to run the game. I reinstalled (yes into the program file folder). I then ran the upgrade to v1.5, without first going to 1.4. Then I opened as admin from the folder. And there it was, loading screen.

Let's go sink some ships.

Jeff
Jeff1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-22, 06:07 PM   #5
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1959 View Post
Thank you for the advice and suggestions.

I am not exactly sure what I did, but I am now able to run the game. I reinstalled (yes into the program file folder). I then ran the upgrade to v1.5, without first going to 1.4. Then I opened as admin from the folder. And there it was, loading screen.

Let's go sink some ships.

Jeff

Fair winds, smooth sea's &... Good huntin'.!

M. M.