Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-18-23, 05:01 AM   #1
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 0

Default Charity Shops

The dirty truth behind what happens to that dress you give to a charity shop: Donating rarely worn clothes might give us a virtuous glow - but this devastating account reveals how it can wreck the lives of the very people we think it helps.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rity-shop.html

If this is even half true I'm beyond appalled, only between ten and 30 per cent of second-hand donations to charity shops are resold in store. The rest disappears into a vast sorting apparatus to be graded and sold on to commercial partners, often for export.

It's no bloody wonder that the heads of these charities are paid monumental salaries and, these bastards know that the gullible public will keep on donating year in and year out. I've stopped all charity donations today and I've been giving them my money for 20 bloody years or more, totally bleeding pissed off with them.
Old 06-18-23, 05:55 AM   #2
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

You are making a decision based on an article in the Daily Mail?
Old 06-18-23, 06:17 AM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Daily Mail yes or no, I red something like this in Germany too over the years.

However, sometimes clothes not being resold but shreddered into rugs and pieces and then sold, this way help to finance operating costs of charity organisations.

But there the next scandal looms,l becasue sometimes such organisations list running costs that are ridiculously high and are in no reaosnable relation to the benefits for the cause.

I rarely donate generally, but if I do, I always would check the opeation costs of the trust or organsiation behind it, always, never without checking it. Last time I donated was twice for Ukraine last year, but then not for many years before. My trust barrier simply sits quite high, and my motivation quite low.
Old 06-18-23, 06:43 AM   #4
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
Often referred to as the Daily Fail.

As always, it is a matter of personal choice and I have on occasion seen items I have donated on offer in the charity shop I support.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-23, 06:58 AM   #5
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rity-shop.html

If this is even half true I'm beyond appalled, only between ten and 30 per cent of second-hand donations to charity shops are resold in store. The rest disappears into a vast sorting apparatus to be graded and sold on to commercial partners, often for export.

:
Well, yeah, you didn't know this? Some of it winds its way to, of course, Africa.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-...fill/100358702

I think they're trying to get their cattle to eat it or something.

Someone needs to talk to them about global warming, too.

Quote:
“In Europe, the UK and Australia, America, they think [that in] Africa here, sorry to say, we are not like human beings. Even if somebody knocked [on] your door [to beg], you cannot just … pick something from your dustbin. In this case … they’re doing this to us.”
Of course. We are doing this terrible thing to them.

https://archive.ph/98EA2
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-23, 11:16 AM   #6
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
Well, well, well, I hear this argument quite a lot in the UK as well, why is that?. The leftie leaning media don't tend to touch on these type of sensitive issues as their dear snowflake readers wouldn't be able to process the information. Oh no, we can't have our readers blubbering into their cornflakes on a morning they'd be saying, no, we can't let the Global Fashion Industry icons have their reputations trashed once again can we, it just wouldn't do.

And secondly, it doesn't matter if a left or a right leaning media outlet reports it as long as the information gets out there. If any of the leftie media had reported it I would have pulled it from their site but, The Mirror and The BBC both leftie media outlets prefer to inform their readers of even more important news, such as more Partygate parties and which football players are shagging their way to the top.

Yeah real informative news I must say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Well, yeah, you didn't know this? Some of it winds its way to, of course, Africa.
https://archive.ph/98EA2
Dear me Onkel Neal, I wouldn't have posted the article if I had already known about it would I?, so blame me for it all as it's all my fault, not Nike and all the other big brands but my fault, I wonder why I bleeding bother somedays. I'm gonna send Nike an email to blame me for all this fashion waste so they don't have to spend a penny (dime?) on the problem, yippeeee they can give themselves a huge slap on the back and say, that's that sorted then.

I have to apologise for taking the piss a bit too much on this subject Onkel Neal but, when members are talking about the Media outlet instead of the article itself it tends to get my bleeding hackles up.

Old 06-19-23, 07:55 AM   #7
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Somebody is getting a little defensive...

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-23, 09:32 AM   #8
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post

Dear me Onkel Neal, I wouldn't have posted the article if I had already known about it would I?, so blame me for it all as it's all my fault, not Nike and all the other big brands but my fault,
Sorry, man, I did not mean it as a poke at you, I should have phrased my post better. What I meant was, yeah, this was a common thing with charity shops and charities in general, a lot of $$$ gets diverted to "administrative" costs.