SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-26-18, 09:08 AM   #1
IanH755
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default South China Sea - Wolfpack Missions - Enemy subs spawn at point blank range.

Hi all,

I'm having real difficulty with these missions, where you have a 3 sub wolfpack you have to intercept.

I'm in the Improved Virginia Class (quietest US ship in the mod pack) and travelling at 5kts when I intercept them on the Campaign screen, only when it turns to action stations I'm now virtually point blank (<30sec torp travelling time in <90db water) to the lead ship of the 3 enemy who is also on a reciprocal heading so I have no chance to evade using silent running, speed at 5kts, manoeuvre to get other side of layer from him if possible and get in his baffles if possible before being detected and attacked and after all the dodging and attacking the lead ship, I can never find the two other ships.

So instead of being detected and attacked I've tried to go on the offensive and instead attack the lead ship first which, again, always leads to a mission loss as, after evading the return torps fired, yet again I can never find the remaining two ships who have quite rightly run away bravely whilst I've been dodging torps.

Has anyone got any tips for this specific type of mission and wouldn't mind sharing them?

PS I've been playing Sub games since 668I in '97 in so I've got a very good understanding of sub tactics/terms so don't worry about "dumbing it down" for me

Last edited by IanH755; 05-26-18 at 10:23 AM.