SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-09-08, 04:40 PM   #1
Jaeger
Chief

Downloads: 28
Uploads: 0
Default integrating OM in RFB?

Hello fellows,

there are different spaces for modding sh4. some people (TMO or RFB) changed lots of values concerning realism, others invented a campaign (OM). Why not integrating both mods to one supermod? in the case of gwx2.1, both parts could be installed by one install routine. i dont like the need of installing 6 or 7 different pieces in the correct order in jsgme, and i think others feel the same. why not integrating the campaign to the realism packages? that would be the first supermod for sh4, like gwx is for sh3. and that would be a good alternative to the upcoming gwx4, which will include a campaign, i think. the problem is: the authors will have to work together. would this be possible?

Greetz, Jaeger
Old 12-09-08, 05:49 PM   #2
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

actually, I believe Lurker is ON the RFB team. but god only knows why they didnt integrate the thing..
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-08, 06:18 PM   #3
Wilcke
The Old Man

Downloads: 234

Well I for one like the separate MODS. I run three different installs for SH4; TMO, RFB and OM. Its my preference and I can adapt, change and add beta changes and patches as the developers release them without breaking the others.

In this day in age with 650gig HD going for $60 dollars, storage is no longer an issue.

My 2 cents.

Happy Hunting!

For the best in Fleet Boats go to: Submarine Sim Central. http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php
Check out: A Brief Introduction to the Pacific Submarine War by Ducimus
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128185
Operation Monsun plus OMEGU, the #1 ATO Solution for SH4!

Signature Art by Gunfighter
Wilcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-08, 08:59 PM   #4
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 5

So long as lurker wants to make separate versions of OM and RSRDC for RFB, we will not be adding any campaign files to the RFB install. It (1) makes the file download size too large and (2) it's simple enough to read the readme and installation instructions to find out the correct order in which to install these mods.

ROW Sound Effects Contributor
RFB Team Leader
LukeFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-08, 11:40 AM   #5
Jaeger
Chief

well, i understand your points, but: lots of people are not as enthusiastic as wilcke. the only thing they want to have is a running game, without installing a running config in many steps. i am absolutely sure you will have many more downloads when you become more user friendly. btw: i dont speak for myself, i am changing my config when new mods are on the market. but look at the download numbers of gwx. these numbers show: the consumers want to load a all in one product, thats for sure.

we could make a contest: i could merge the two products and offer them as a REAL supermod, we will see the download development...

greetz, Jaeger
Old 12-10-08, 02:28 PM   #6
Wilcke
The Old Man

Downloads: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaeger
well, i understand your points, but: lots of people are not as enthusiastic as wilcke. the only thing they want to have is a running game, without installing a running config in many steps. i am absolutely sure you will have many more downloads when you become more user friendly. btw: i dont speak for myself, i am changing my config when new mods are on the market. but look at the download numbers of gwx. these numbers show: the consumers want to load a all in one product, thats for sure.

we could make a contest: i could merge the two products and offer them as a REAL supermod, we will see the download development...

greetz, Jaeger
I can understand that having one Super Mod do it all is a lot simpler than trying to go with multiple installs and what that entails. But really there is no one Super Mod that really meets all of ones needs, never has been and never will. There are to many complexities with the SH code and with the "interpretation" by each modder or mod group to achieve realism. Further, with the advent of S3D it has allowed me to look at specific files in a mod to see exactly what is "up" and how they are modding the game and the effect on game play. I think that we are entering a new age here with S3D where the end-user will have a better understanding of modding, effect on game play and the ability to customize their own mod to suit their need.

S3D has let the "genie out of the bottle" at least in my book it has and its all for the better. Well I could go on and on and I hope that you find or build what you are looking for; its not that hard anymore!

Happy Hunting!

For the best in Fleet Boats go to: Submarine Sim Central. http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php
Check out: A Brief Introduction to the Pacific Submarine War by Ducimus
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128185
Operation Monsun plus OMEGU, the #1 ATO Solution for SH4!

Signature Art by Gunfighter

Last edited by Wilcke; 12-10-08 at 02:29 PM.
Wilcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-08, 04:11 PM   #7
Jaeger
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcke
Quote:

greetz, Jaeger
I can understand that having one Super Mod do it all is a lot simpler than trying to go with multiple installs and what that entails. But really there is no one Super Mod that really meets all of ones needs, never has been and never will. There are to many complexities with the SH code and with the "interpretation" by each modder or mod group to achieve realism. Further, with the advent of S3D it has allowed me to look at specific files in a mod to see exactly what is "up" and how they are modding the game and the effect on game play. I think that we are entering a new age here with S3D where the end-user will have a better understanding of modding, effect on game play and the ability to customize their own mod to suit their need.

S3D has let the "genie out of the bottle" at least in my book it has and its all for the better. Well I could go on and on and I hope that you find or build what you are looking for; its not that hard anymore!

Happy Hunting!
yeah, you are right. it isnt as tricky as it was before s3d and i could do it. but remember: the "normal" user isnt interested in modding files like you are or i am. he wants to have a running game. s3d is and will stay a tool for experimenting players. some players are experimenting, most are only playing...

Last edited by Jaeger; 12-10-08 at 04:33 PM.
Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-08, 02:13 AM   #8
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Not that it ultimately matters, but the download numbers for RFB have been far and away very, very good (in the thousands) ever since it was released. RFB is not GWX, so if they want to include a campaign mod in their release, then so be it. I highly doubt the addition of RSRDC and OM would make that much of a difference in the number of downloads RFB receives.

Again, besides all that, it really is not difficult at all to get RFB and RSRDC running together as they should, and it's hardly "6 or 7 steps." At a bare minimum, a player wanting the latest RFB files along with RSRDC would need to install 3 files: the main RFB file, the RFB patch, and RSRDC. All the best graphics mods to date have been integrated, and more are to come in later releases. People just need to just slow down and read what are really simple instructions about what needs to be enabled in what order. We've actually quite streamlined the installation process as compared to earlier releases. I don't see that changing any more in the near future.

ROW Sound Effects Contributor
RFB Team Leader
LukeFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-08, 10:32 AM   #9
Jaeger
Chief

thanks for your replay. sorry for having two threads now, i will observe the poll. i am not at home, but i remember, it was more than two steps to have rfb and om running together...