SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-20-10, 01:29 PM   #1
kgsuarez
Planesman

Downloads: 28
Uploads: 0
Default What do you mean the towed array has failed?

Hello...

Okay, so what's the deal with this? It looks like the top speed for the TB-16 is 28 knots, and then 25 knots for the TB-29/23 (I can't remember which one is equipped on a v1.08, SCIIXc 688i). Any faster and they seemingly break off. Do I have those numbers right?

I recall there being some discussion on this topic here years ago. I searched for it, but nothing came up. I think a large majority of the old posts have gone missing. I also didn't give it too much attention back in the day, being that I was primarily an Akula driver then and that sub's TA, if it is anything like other Russian-made equipment, could probably be used to tow an oil tanker.

Is this realistic? I know that IRL sub drivers usually reel the TA in for long transits, but I would these things really tear off at these speeds?

Has anyone ever made an attempt to alter this behavior? I have a vague sense that it is hard-coded for some reason. And why don't we see this same behavior in other games, such as DW?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining. I'm just interested in what others think about this.

It does raise some interesting questions. For example, do you go to flank and sacrifice the TA to evade an incoming torpedo and perhaps not be able to detect the enemy sub afterwards? Or do you take your chances with the torp at a slower speed to retain your sensors range?
kgsuarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-10, 07:45 PM   #2
CapitanPiluso
Forum Captain

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsuarez View Post
For example, do you go to flank and sacrifice the TA to evade an incoming torpedo and perhaps not be able to detect the enemy sub afterwards? Or do you take your chances with the torp at a slower speed to retain your sensors range?
You must preserve your sub first,with or without TA, so it becomes a secondary item anyway in such situation.

My DW pics :https://goo.gl/photos/5gBN7WFntLBSAsc17

My SSM2007 pics :https://goo.gl/photos/1Fa6GaEom28AZuc57
CapitanPiluso is offline   Reply With Quote