SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-28-23, 02:47 PM   #1
D-Jones
Gunner

Downloads: 149
Uploads: 0
Default RSRDC Install problems

I should say reinstall problems. I uninstalled RSRDC for TMO to see how TMO would be without it. Now, when I reinstall it, I get a CTD at startup. Anyone ever have this problem? FYI-it is the RSRDC TMO version.

Thanks.
D-Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-23, 03:40 PM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Jones View Post
I should say reinstall problems. I uninstalled RSRDC for TMO to see how TMO would be without it. Now, when I reinstall it, I get a CTD at startup. Anyone ever have this problem? FYI-it is the RSRDC TMO version.

Thanks.
mod soup.
did you remember to clear out your Save folder(s)?

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-23, 04:22 PM   #3
D-Jones
Gunner

Yup. I've uninstalled and reinstalled RSRDC and other mods before. This never happened.
Old 05-28-23, 07:21 PM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Bubblehead1980 had issues similarly a couple of years ago. Tough sometimes to say where an issue might be. This is one of those times, where if you didn't do an "image" of files in JSGME prior to applying the mods, that you might be best off to just blow the whole install away and start anew. Be sure and delete the Save folder in Windows Explorer. Once installed, use 7-zip or similar to create a "clean" back-up on the Stock game so that it is easier to recover later. Maybe make a back-up of the TMO modded game folder also, if that will always be your "base"...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-23, 01:28 PM   #5
D-Jones
Gunner

Thanks. I uninstalled the game and reinstalled. Everything's working fine now. I think I cluttered up JSGME with too many installs/uninstalls.

1 more question! Does TMO with training wheels (bad name) work with RSRDC? On it's download page it says "Maybe". TMO's great, but I don't think I'm ready for the DDs seemingly psychic ability to find me even when I'm well under the thermal layer and at 0 knots. Not all the time, but most of the time.

I appreciate the responses.
Old 05-30-23, 07:02 PM   #6
boapiu
Seaman

Downloads: 51

I have not tried RSRDC mod. Is the effect to help your chances of survival when under attack from DDs over the straight TMO?
dont mean to hijack the thread.
boapiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-23, 07:46 PM   #7
propbeanie

Run Silent Run Deep Campaign (RSRDC) does alter some of the AI settings, but does not make them "easier". The mod is more of a "traffic" mod, in that when lurker_hlb3 wrote it, he researched all of the convoys he could find, and their historical routing, date of departure and arrival (if it did). He then plotted them in the mod. Some "artistic license" was necessary to make things reasonably "on time", and certain aspects had to be assumed. In line with that, lurker_hlb3 reduced the rrates for andomly spawned groups of Stock and TMO, but did keep some for variability. He also tracked down quite a few Task Force movements, both Japanese and American, and put those in. Some call it predictable - which it is - but there is so much going on in the world at any given time, I can only ever remember the important dates, and then at that, I am usually nowhere near the event I remembered... It definitely makes "hunting" much more difficult, since the traffic patterns are more "realistic", but does not change the DD behavior of TMO much. There is an RSRDC version for Stock, which can also be used on top of GFO. What you want to do, is get used to "proper technique" in the game, such as only short looks on the periscope when tracking a group or ship. Get out in front of the group, go deep and approach the last bit at Silent Running and 1 knot speed. Come up once you have passed the screen, do your shooting, go deep and try to reload, if you get to take it off Silent Running. You might have to let the DD drop cans for a few hours and then go away, come back up top, and do another run-around move. Lather Rinse Repeat.

Old 05-30-23, 07:54 PM   #8
D-Jones
Gunner

It's to make it more historical mainly, i.e., shipping lanes, convoy routes, missions. It doesn't affect the mechanics, as in psychic DDs, etc. That's why I asked about TMO with Training Wheels. It's still tough but toned down a little. DDs aren't quite as deadly (but still tough) and the thermal layer gives more protection. It's tougher than "stock, and I find it tougher than FotRS. That's about my level now.
Old 05-31-23, 06:22 AM   #9
boapiu
Seaman

Downloads: 51

Thanks, both.
boapiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-23, 07:16 AM   #10
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Jones View Post
1 more question! Does TMO with training wheels (bad name) work with RSRDC? On it's download page it says "Maybe". TMO's great, but I don't think I'm ready for the DDs seemingly psychic ability to find me even when I'm well under the thermal layer and at 0 knots. Not all the time, but most of the time.

I appreciate the responses.
I missed the question, sorry! lol - but yes, RSRDC will do fine on top of TMOwTw. I ran with it for a couple of years like that, and did not notice any ill or side effects. Dave did a good job of keeping the spirit of TMO, while making it a pinch easier, and he didn't really change all that much in it.

Old 05-31-23, 10:55 AM   #11
D-Jones
Gunner

Thanks, Prop. I'm using it now with RSRDC and it's working fine. The only reason I've changed from TMO to "Training Wheels" is the DDs ability in TMO to find me no matter what I do. Example-I'm at 250 ft, well below the thermal layer with engines off and miles in front of the task force--no pinging, no "Warship! closing!". I begin to rise when the DDs pass with engines still off, and the pinging is instantaneous and deafening. Haven't figured out how to beat that yet.

"Training Wheels" is excellent. It has everything TMO has, but the DDs are less omnipotent "Training Wheels" makes it sound simple. It's not. I'm going to stick with this for a while. Glad it works with RSRDC.
Old 05-31-23, 11:22 AM   #12
propbeanie

More important than anything is your "profile". Are you bow or stern -on (somewhat close to it) to the pinger? It is best to be moving also, so click on that little "hamburger" looking menu button to the bottom left of the speed telegraph, and select one knot. When you do that, you should see your rpm gauge on the stand forward of the map table drop down to under 100rpm, possibly down to 50. That keeps you some headway, yet keeps you quiet. If you think of the thermal layer in TMO as being mostly non-existent, you are closer to what it is... lol - Stock has the hydrophone 3x "quieter", while TMO has them 2x. Besides a few other tweaks, that is one of the main settings Dave changed in the wTw version.