SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-04-23, 01:35 PM   #1351
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 230
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik007 View Post
I like the way the updated damage model of the ships. Great work, Fifi!

Yeah its a blast! Lots of work to get done and its a treat to have.One other thing that I get a kick out of is the tweaks by Fifi to the night vision.When the skies are clear I can do night attacks and I enjoy that a bunch!Even slightly cloudy nights are doable for me.
Wolfstriked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-23, 02:13 PM   #1352
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Downloads: 429

KM ....

Ohhhhh ... I must really be in the dog house . I have 21 activated.

Now, everything works as it should and have had no real CTD with the current configuration of mods. Most I have used before Fifi's first upgrades and since then without issue. Most are for .tga files (for my tastes). They are NYGM compatible mods. Besides, I like to tinker.

Grenso ....

My guess he has a file name/parent id or the like conflict somewhere in the .dsd. I have used sound files with NYGM and have never had a real problem and never a CTD because of sound files like you have experienced.

Fifi has done an extensive overhaul of NYGM so I am sure you may encounter problems with introducing something new to the mix. If you want to do some digging, it may be worth your while.

Good hunting,
FUBAR295

FUBAR295 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-23, 01:39 AM   #1353
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by HW3 View Post
Consider any mod not provided by Fifi as off limits and verboten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik007 View Post
I like the way the updated damage model of the ships. Great work, Fifi!
Thank you! Was weeks of work

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrenSo View Post
Was that an isolated case with the destroyers or was there still after-effects from DBSM in next patrol?
What I can tell you is I never experienced such thing…but…my guess is you crossed the thin red line of your PC memory.
Just because once during my tests, I too have crossed this red line (voluntarily) and resulted in the loss of destroyers guns crew (but they were there!)
Seems game is choosing what elements to hide… before CTD if you push further.
In your case, I’m quite sure despite the fact you couldn’t see destroyers guns, they could fire at you! …
Well, keep in mind this NYGM is memory borderline. We have pushed the old SH3 engine to the limits with all the graphics and the stuff to load each launch…
See the numbers of units in both campaign files (RND & SCR) and see the numbers of ships existing in your sea folder…
Not to say all others elements necessary to gameplay.
So a simple sound file addition (yes sound file are memory eaters) might push your computer over the SH3 red line…

Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-23, 03:42 AM   #1354
GrenSo
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 578
Uploads: 8

Thanks FiFi, this is a clear answer.
But I think this is not a limit of my PC. I think this is the way how SH3 handle with it. But in next weeks I will upgrade my CPU from a Ryzen 3800X to Ryzen 5800X3D and my Radeon 5600XT (OC) to Radeon 6750XT (OC). 32GB RAM with CL14 on a X570 chipset should be more as enough.
Maybe I can push the „red line“ a little Bit with new CPU and GPU.

“Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind.” - J.F.K.
GrenSo is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-23, 04:07 AM   #1355
Fifi
Navy Seal

Quote:
Thanks FiFi, this is a clear answer.
But I think this is not a limit of my PC. I think this is the way how SH3 handle with it. But in next weeks I will upgrade my CPU from a Ryzen 3800X to Ryzen 5800X3D and my Radeon 5600XT (OC) to Radeon 6750XT (OC). 32GB RAM with CL14 on a X570 chipset should be more as enough.
Maybe I can push the „red line“ a little Bit with new CPU and GPU.
Ok, but keep in mind the red line is not necessary coming from your pc too… meaning the red line is closed by the way (and how far) we modded it along years. I’m not sure back in the SH3 release date, the Romanian devs could imagine what their game engine will handle

Old 04-05-23, 06:49 AM   #1356
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
Ok, but keep in mind the red line is not necessary coming from your pc too… meaning the red line is closed by the way (and how far) we modded it along years. I’m not sure back in the SH3 release date, the Romanian devs could imagine what their game engine will handle

I couldn't agree more ... the sound files .. very heavy to swallow for the games ... we see it very well during the acceleration of time in the games sometimes the sound no longer plays immediately ... !!! the power has nothing to do with what the game software is capable of managing my dear GrenSo... the elements you are missing... its due to the ignition delay of this old engine

@FUBART295
I also tinker... am I tinkering as far as reasonable like you with details here and there... but several times broken... so I stay in Fifi's way there is no problem... but nothing prevents to do a double install for tests with other mods..

@Fifi
Bravo a Monsieur M encore un detaille combler c est surpprenant tous ces choses possible qui n ont pas ete executer de la part des developpeurs...

Last edited by Kal_Maximus_U669; 04-05-23 at 07:06 AM.
Kal_Maximus_U669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-23, 11:49 AM   #1357
GrenSo
Grey Wolf

Today, on the way back to home port, I met a British U-class submarine. There was a heavy firefight in which the enemy ended up losing out and sank. But before I shot his gun from the deck.

Old 04-05-23, 11:59 AM   #1358
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Downloads: 429

^^^

Nice !

FUBAR295 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-23, 12:43 PM   #1359
Je_je7
Swabbie

Downloads: 36
Default Problem

I have encountered a strange problem after trying to run campaign:

Engine Message
No CSubTorpedoCtrl*: cmihalache

Eny suggestions how to fix that?
Je_je7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-23, 01:40 PM   #1360
Fifi
Navy Seal

Quote:
Today, on the way back to home port, I met a British U-class submarine. There was a heavy firefight in which the enemy ended up losing out and sank. But before I shot his gun from the deck.

Yes, you can blow up any AA guns & small cannons … but no turrets unless many hits

Old 04-05-23, 04:06 PM   #1361
GrenSo
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Yes, you can blow up any AA guns & small cannons … but no turrets unless many hits

However, there were no bullet holes on the u-class, like we see it on the ships. But it is better not to ask me how many shot I needed to sink the u-class, because this is a very small target.

Old 04-06-23, 07:13 AM   #1362
silentwayIII
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 166
Default CTD, could they be sound related?

Hi Fifi
I have read the recent posts regarding the possibility that sound is causing CTD. On my two missions with the IXC (1944) when I was only 10k from the sub pen in Lorient enemy aircraft were detected. I engaged the aircraft with the flak guns when the aircraft were within firing range. Maybe a minute into the engagement the sound from the flak guns stuttered, then the screen froze and I had a CTD.

I am running sh3 in win 10. My computer has 16 gigs of memory and my AMD video card has 4 gigs of memory. Except for the issues I have explained above, the 3.2 version runs great and there have been no issues with it.

Could memory be a factor with the CTD?
Could the sound files be corrupted?
Could sound volume be a factor?

Thanks.
silentwayIII
silentwayIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-23, 09:35 AM   #1363
Fifi
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentwayIII View Post
Hi Fifi
I have read the recent posts regarding the possibility that sound is causing CTD. On my two missions with the IXC (1944) when I was only 10k from the sub pen in Lorient enemy aircraft were detected. I engaged the aircraft with the flak guns when the aircraft were within firing range. Maybe a minute into the engagement the sound from the flak guns stuttered, then the screen froze and I had a CTD.

I am running sh3 in win 10. My computer has 16 gigs of memory and my AMD video card has 4 gigs of memory. Except for the issues I have explained above, the 3.2 version runs great and there have been no issues with it.

Could memory be a factor with the CTD?
Could the sound files be corrupted?
Could sound volume be a factor?

Thanks.
silentwayIII
Strange … have you encountered same issue with planes in others circonstances ?
I don’t really see what could be the cause … personally I didn’t have problems dealing with planes yet. But I’m far from 1944 too…and I never engage them !
But in tests, with many planes around (like academy flak exercise) all is ok

Old 04-07-23, 02:30 AM   #1364
Fifi
Navy Seal

Quote:
However, there were no bullet holes on the u-class, like we see it on the ships. But it is better not to ask me how many shot I needed to sink the u-class, because this is a very small target.
Now i think you will see the damage on British sub...

I have also greatly decreased his resistance to 88mm...it was way to high!
Same for Russian sub.

EDIT: also added sweet spot to those ennemy subs… after all, their torpedo room have torpedoes

Last edited by Fifi; 04-07-23 at 03:33 AM.
Old 04-07-23, 03:53 AM   #1365
GrenSo
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Now i think you will see the damage on British sub...

I have also greatly decreased his resistance to 88mm...it was way to high!
Same for Russian sub.

EDIT: also added sweet spot to those ennemy subs… after all, their torpedo room have torpedoes