SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-01-23, 05:24 PM   #1321
Patoche9999
Watch

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal_Maximus_U669 View Post
@Patoche9999
How do you want to get help if you don't follow the rules...
1-I seem to have asked you a question.... your machine the config ???
I have already given you some leads, it seems to me...
2-When you participate in a forum... the least you can do is fill out your profile page and other...
3-The forum is not a supermarket...we are not MaC Do.. I choose...I ask everyone questions...you have to read my friend. Fifi wrote a PDF have you read it... which I doubt...
4-Just because one mod works (Onealex) doesn't mean all the others will...we're not in a lottery!
5-I think it would be good to leave Fifi in peace.. in this modding work that takes him a lot of time for the good of the community here... (especially with this kind of question) lol...
I told you to read the forum and ask the right questions then would be desirable in the future thank you for your understanding
Off course i understand sorry for dusturbing. Just to know if someone elle met this issue. Seems not. I.read and exécuté the fifi s pdf..

So i did something wrong. I will retry. Thanks à lot for the tips you provided me.
Patoche9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-23, 10:09 PM   #1322
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 489

To the question about the negative tanks and buoyancy:

Correct, the negative tanks’ purpose was to break the surface tension quickly to get below. The difference was only seconds - the VIIB for example had no negative tanks and wasn’t at a huge disadvantage. These tanks were then blown out anywhere from 8 to 12 m as their purpose had been fulfilled. When the boat was trimmed at periscope depth daily, trim was achieved typically at KF, with a 0.5° - 1° “down bubble” (coarse trim angle changes with trim tanks fore/aft, fine maintenance of trim angle by the aft planesman). The negative tanks were not used to adjust buoyancy, that was the role of the regulating tanks and bunkers (called “regulators”). The contents of those were maintained on the surface, and changes in weight etc. over the course of the patrol would be logged in the dive logbook, and the necessary adjustments made to the regulators daily. The daily trim dive was a validation of the accuracy of the dive logbook (chief engineer and his control room mates were evaluated on this).

The result of the slight down bubble trim would be ever so slight positive buoyancy if momentum, and thus depth control, were lost. The sinking is not realistic.

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WwBt-1vjW28JbO
My YT Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJ...9FXbD3S2kgwdPQ
derstosstrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-23, 10:28 PM   #1323
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by derstosstrupp View Post
To the question about the negative tanks and buoyancy:

Correct, the negative tanks’ purpose was to break the surface tension quickly to get below. The difference was only seconds - the VIIB for example had no negative tanks and wasn’t at a huge disadvantage. These tanks were then blown out anywhere from 8 to 12 m as their purpose had been fulfilled. When the boat was trimmed at periscope depth daily, trim was achieved typically at KF, with a 0.5° - 1° “down bubble” (coarse trim angle changes with trim tanks fore/aft, fine maintenance of trim angle by the aft planesman). The negative tanks were not used to adjust buoyancy, that was the role of the regulating tanks and bunkers (called “regulators”). The contents of those were maintained on the surface, and changes in weight etc. over the course of the patrol would be logged in the dive logbook, and the necessary adjustments made to the regulators daily. The daily trim dive was a validation of the accuracy of the dive logbook (chief engineer and his control room mates were evaluated on this).

The result of the slight down bubble trim would be ever so slight positive buoyancy if momentum, and thus depth control, were lost. The sinking is not realistic.

NYGM made it negative buoyancy for a reason that eludes me.GWX has positive buoyancy at full stop but they also have a mod to change it to negative buoyancy,maybe due to complaints for reasons....

Fifi,great choice on a higher magnification UZO
Wolfstriked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-23, 01:06 AM   #1324
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfstriked View Post
NYGM made it negative buoyancy for a reason that eludes me.GWX has positive buoyancy at full stop but they also have a mod to change it to negative buoyancy,maybe due to complaints for reasons....

Fifi,great choice on a higher magnification UZO
GWX never had negative buoyancy … only NYGM had it at first… it’s Stiebler who find this way to simulate perfectly the slow sinking at full stop when submerged.
Absolutely historical, as no U Boat could stay same level for ever fully stopped!
Just couldn’t play without this negative buoyancy.

Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-23, 01:26 AM   #1325
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 230

DANG IT abort this file again.Just now playing an actual patrol and hence using the hydrophone I found the reason that the sub wake sound is only allowed to be played to range 15.When you go to hydrophone and then exit out back to sub the sub wake sound plays inside the sub while submerged but it should not play when submerged.

If you like the sub wake sound in your game and do not use the hydrophone yourself instead relying on your sonar man for contacts then its all good.

Last edited by Wolfstriked; 04-02-23 at 08:39 AM.
Wolfstriked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-23, 06:32 AM   #1326
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
GWX never had negative buoyancy … only NYGM had it at first… it’s Stiebler who find this way to simulate perfectly the slow sinking at full stop when submerged.
Absolutely historical, as no U Boat could stay same level for ever fully stopped!
Just couldn’t play without this negative buoyancy.

There was no automatic negative buoyancy when motors were stopped underwater. It all depends on how the boat was trimmed. As I said, standard practice was to trim about 1° down bubble at the lowest speed. In this case, if you lose that speed, you would tend to rise very slowly. The bigger issue with stopping submerged, which the game doesn’t simulate, is the loss of longitudinal stability in anything but calm seas. At any rate, keeping depth while stopped for a WW2 sub was a laborious and loud affair.

The exception to all this was the so-called practice of “hanging the boat by the periscope”. In calm seas, a well-balanced boat could poke a scope out of the water and shut its motors off and effectively hang there.

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
My YT Channel:
Old 04-02-23, 07:46 AM   #1327
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Downloads: 439
bullhorn All been discussed before

All of this has been discussed in ad nauseam :

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=201357

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=126278

and there are others if you care to search for them.

My feeling is if you don't like it, change it yourself or play GWX or other super mod.

Can we please move on?

FUBAR295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-23, 08:14 AM   #1328
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Alright well I’m just trying to point out historical realities, to hopefully improve mods in the direction of more realism.

I spend most of my free time studying the systems on these boats, and if I need answers, I don’t go to Subsim threads to get them - I have the contemporary documentation.

And if there are still underlying misconceptions about the basic operation of the boats, then I guess it really hasn’t been discussed enough? When people say they want realism, do they just want to guess at realism?

So I would appreciate it if people wouldn’t poo poo someone’s answer when they are just trying to improve the state of things based on their own research of the realities.

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
My YT Channel:
Old 04-02-23, 01:10 PM   #1329
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patoche9999 View Post
Off course i understand sorry for dusturbing. Just to know if someone elle met this issue. Seems not. I.read and exécuté the fifi s pdf..

So i did something wrong. I will retry. Thanks à lot for the tips you provided me.
Did you successfully install...?
Can you tell me more about your machine..?
CPU..Gpu..Ram..etc...
Does your screen support 1920x1080?
In order to take advantage of Fifi's fabulous work, it would be a shame to miss such a job.. no, when do you think..?
Kal_Maximus_U669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-23, 04:29 PM   #1330
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Downloads: 439

Quote:
Originally Posted by derstosstrupp View Post
Alright well I’m just trying to point out historical realities, to hopefully improve mods in the direction of more realism.

I spend most of my free time studying the systems on these boats, and if I need answers, I don’t go to Subsim threads to get them - I have the contemporary documentation.

And if there are still underlying misconceptions about the basic operation of the boats, then I guess it really hasn’t been discussed enough? When people say they want realism, do they just want to guess at realism?

So I would appreciate it if people wouldn’t poo poo someone’s answer when they are just trying to improve the state of things based on their own research of the realities.
derstosstrupp,

I did not mean to offend and my apology if so. I respect you and your work highly, have read all that you have written on Uboats, and utilize some your methods for data collection for firing solutions. They're first rate!

I do not question any of your research. It is very thorough and your conclusions are most undoubtedly correct. A balance must be struck between realism and the limitations of SH3, not forgetting game play needs to be factored in also.

Additional, I do not have issue with what you are saying. All I am trying to get at is that all of this as been chewed over before, many times. I see both sides of the buoyancy discussion and the merits of each. Realism, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder and realism does not always translates into better game play. Some, no matter what, will not like the stationary boat and others will. Personally, I do not care if the boat sinks, hovers or rises, I deal with the situation as a commander should and adapt. My main concern is keeping the boat and crew as intact as I can. I play as realistic as I can, keeping a KTB with weather reports every 4 hours, use data collection/ manual targeting and tactics by you and others that have been researched. I play DID. I am sure not many play like this even though it involves realism. It is not everyone's cup of tea.

I use NYGM, GWX and CCoM, with each one having their own favor, as their creators saw as realism.

Bottom line, this Fifi's project and we are really just voyeurs in his modding of NYGM. Luckily, we enjoy what Fifi is willing to share of the fruits of labor. All of this is done for Fifi's likes and dislikes, no one else.

Again, if I have offend, my sincere apologies.

Good hunting,
FUBAR295

FUBAR295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-23, 04:32 PM   #1331
Patoche9999
Watch

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal_Maximus_U669 View Post
Did you successfully install...?
Can you tell me more about your machine..?
CPU..Gpu..Ram..etc...
Does your screen support 1920x1080?
In order to take advantage of Fifi's fabulous work, it would be a shame to miss such a job.. no, when do you think..?
Yes it works now. I réinstalled : everything is working correctly.

I sûre did something wrong i n my préviens tries.

Thanks
Patoche9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-23, 05:05 PM   #1332
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patoche9999 View Post
Yes it works now. I réinstalled : everything is working correctly.

I sûre did something wrong i n my préviens tries.

Thanks

Very good I am delighted that you can enjoy now...
Old 04-02-23, 05:23 PM   #1333
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBAR295 View Post
derstosstrupp,

I did not mean to offend and my apology if so. I respect you and your work highly, have read all that you have written on Uboats, and utilize some your methods for data collection for firing solutions. They're first rate!

I do not question any of your research. It is very thorough and your conclusions are most undoubtedly correct. A balance must be struck between realism and the limitations of SH3, not forgetting game play needs to be factored in also.

Additional, I do not have issue with what you are saying. All I am trying to get at is that all of this as been chewed over before, many times. I see both sides of the buoyancy discussion and the merits of each. Realism, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder and realism does not always translates into better game play. Some, no matter what, will not like the stationary boat and others will. Personally, I do not care if the boat sinks, hovers or rises, I deal with the situation as a commander should and adapt. My main concern is keeping the boat and crew as intact as I can. I play as realistic as I can, keeping a KTB with weather reports every 4 hours, use data collection/ manual targeting and tactics by you and others that have been researched. I play DID. I am sure not many play like this even though it involves realism. It is not everyone's cup of tea.

I use NYGM, GWX and CCoM, with each one having their own favor, as their creators saw as realism.

Bottom line, this Fifi's project and we are really just voyeurs in his modding of NYGM. Luckily, we enjoy what Fifi is willing to share of the fruits of labor. All of this is done for Fifi's likes and dislikes, no one else.

Again, if I have offend, my sincere apologies.

Good hunting,
FUBAR295
Hi FUBAR, thanks for clarifying, I understand now and no offense taken! Agreed, Fifi has done great work and at the end of the day, it’s what he prefers that will make it into the modpack. I will keep that in mind and refrain from further suggestions. Any questions though and I am always happy to answer.

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
My YT Channel:
Old 04-02-23, 06:00 PM   #1334
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

hey Guy"s
Thank you gentlemen, it is thanks to this kind of discussion that things are progressing...
I want to thank @FUBAR295 "a sea wolf" here... we can always get links forget... his availability as well as his knowledge in the evolution of mods...
@derstosstrupp
Someone who makes a lot of documents available.. as well as his YT channel which allows you to evolve more quickly when you are a novice...a real enthusiast...respect. Continue to bring your ideas and your knowledge I think that Fifi is open to any realization as far as possible with this aging engine...

I don't know what you both think... but Fifi's mod is one of the most successful currently, believe me, I've tried CCOM11&12 as well as the Fifi Ccom12 remasters.. LSH20.. as well as GwX which is the reference of the time .. ... When Wac 4.9 & 5.00 & 5.1 .. Gwr21 (too many problems I let go)
Too bad Hansolo is not continued on WaC because at the time it was one of my favorites in 4.9
everyone brings a different approach.
there is Onealex which is very good... currently waiting for the problems we all know...
GwX Enhanced which and the only mod with complete interiors in addition with open hatches a remarkable job with a perfect ARB from Toyotagt86

In this NYGM Enhanced I love the feeling that we have in the attacks with the lens of the periscope a unique feeling thanks to the HuD Diegogut. The other HuD ARBs.. Annerb.. I don't have the same feeling.. the weather plays a big role sometimes it is impossible to torpedo properly.. there has recently been the fragility of the Uboat.. the negative buoyancy.. Fifi has done a huge job on so many aspects which reinforces the immersion that I could not list them all... Maximum realism for me it is a "must"..

I look forward to Official GWX Knight's Cross Edition...from the Kpt team. Lehmann "Dynosaurs" from Subsim..When I heard the news I was on my ass
may these veterans be reunited again...

Last edited by Kal_Maximus_U669; 04-02-23 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-02-23, 06:48 PM   #1335
Doolar
Expert Shipsinker

Downloads: 360
Default Re

Well Said Kal