Old 01-08-23, 02:58 PM   #31
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
https://www.dw.com/en/how-to-make-au...video-64305202

Well, I like fried fish, and I like fried potatoes (chips, fries, Fritten - however you call them). But I cannot get used to have vinegar on fish or on chips.

German chips (Pommes) are traditionally served with salt and mayonaise or ketchup.

Most comparable to British fish & chips is a dish over here consisting of fried fish like the British do it, plus potato salad. In Southern Germany, potato salad indeed is made with clear sauce that includes also vinegar (and I do not like this version of potato salad at all), but I prefer the more Northern way of doing the potato salad with onion, mayonaise, cucumber. This is also the majority of industrially produced potato salds available in supermarkets. The fish I like then as "Müllerin Art".

The taste of frying oil. Delicous. Just the quality of the oils used for frying is always a health desaster: inflammatory Omega-6 in absolute overkill doses (when using sunflower or rapeseed oil, with soybean oil and peanut oil all kinds of other allergens are further added in high doses) . Why must all delicious things be a hazard to your health, and most healthy things boring and bland, often even bad?

I "oil-fry" potatos in the pan nowadays, using coconut oil (looses its coconut taste when being heated) or cleared butter. I prepare them like "Bratkartoffeln", but without any herps, onions, bacon. When done, I dry them a bit, and have salt and mayonaise on them. That way they are and taste like chips/Pommes Frites to lets say 90%. Works good enough for me.

Fish I almost exclusively have either in Tomato sauce or in a hot chilli oil for pasta (tuna or makarel), or grilled salmon with a self-made dressing of avocado with dill, wild garlic, lemon juice, salt, black pepper, olive oil, parmesan.
Takes me back to the days when I was living and working in Holland (Dordrecht). Friday in the factory canteen was predominantly 'fish day' and I was the only person who asked for their fish to be fried unlike my Dutch colleagues who preferred theirs raw/pickled.

One day one of my Dutch colleagues commented "You Brits are really funny, when I was in London (he was an ex-submariner in the Dutch Navy) I noticed you eat your fish and chips from newspapers"

I responded "yes, that is an old British custom but we also ensure the fish is cooked prior to eating it"

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-23, 04:47 PM   #32
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
I responded "yes, that is an old British custom but we also ensure the fish is cooked prior to eating it"
And that the paper has been properly red...!

Raw or pickled fish, even worse: Sushi, is not my thing. Only exception: Herring in dill cream.
Old 01-11-23, 02:08 PM   #33
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

I just had a vegan breakfast, it was pretty good. Did you know if you break-up/crumble a 15 oz block of extra-firm Tofu into bite size pieces. Throw into a fry pan add Tumeric it gives it the color of scrambled eggs, damn near same texture too. Not as tasty as eggs but season with a little cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, salt pepper or Sriracha or whatever and I doubt you'd know the difference.

Goes great with hasbrowns, topped with sautéed garlic onions, tomatoes and cilantro.

It wasn't a true vegan meal, the recipe calls to cook in olive oil. But I have to have butter, butter always makes it better. Oh, and cheese does too!

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-23, 03:58 PM   #34
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Things are expensive these days but the eye of round roast is still the cheapest. Reason many don’t use it is because it’s one tuff cut of beef you’ll spend all day chewing on it. The solution is pineapple. Discard the crown then dice and purée the pineapple skin and all, dump into a large bowl for a marinade. Cut the eye of round into two inch steaks and marinate them in the pineapple NO MORE than two hours in the refrigerator and let those little pineapple enzymes got to work. Afterward rinse well, season and grill them or pan fry that cow. They don’t char as well as untreated beef but boy are they ever tender.

Works well on other cuts but be careful the marinade it will dissolve beef into a mush if left in too long.

Old 01-22-23, 04:07 PM   #35
Commander Wallace
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Things are expensive these days but the eye of round roast is still the cheapest. Reason many don’t use it is because it’s one tuff cut of beef you’ll spend all day chewing on it. The solution is pineapple. Discard the crown then dice and purée the pineapple skin and all, dump into a large bowl for a marinade. Cut the eye of round into two inch steaks and marinate them in the pineapple NO MORE than two hours in the refrigerator and let those little pineapple enzymes got to work. Afterward rinse well, season and grill them or pan fry that cow. They don’t char as well as untreated beef but boy are they ever tender.

Works well on other cuts but be careful the marinade it will dissolve beef into a mush if left in too long.

If you take a lesser cut of meat and use a pressure cooker, it comes out pretty well. I tend to sprinkle a little bit of ground garlic along with sliced onions. In a roaster or pressure cooker, this infuses the meats with acids breaking down the proteins in the meat. Using a roaster pan on a low heat setting and cooking all day makes for a tender cut of meat as well.

The pineapple or orange marinades will break down the protein collagen matrix and as you said, make things tender.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-23, 06:21 PM   #36
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Im in Florida now, it's grillin' season all year. Gotta char that cow.

Old 03-15-23, 07:13 AM   #37
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 56

This is about as simple as it gets, all you need is that extra day.

Magic powder is only salt, black pepper, and garlic powder.
For Salt Pork, check in the bigger box stores or ask the butcher.
Lard should be easy. In a worst case, you can use Crisco but you'll lose a little flavor.

Try to not jump the shark. Beans need to mellow out for at least over night after you cook them the first time. If you want to add some extras (hot peppers, chopped olives, celery seed, etc.) WAIT until the last cooking step before you serve them.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-23, 12:24 AM   #38
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Quote:
Takes me back to the days when I was living and working in Holland (Dordrecht). Friday in the factory canteen was predominantly 'fish day' and I was the only person who asked for their fish to be fried unlike my Dutch colleagues who preferred theirs raw/pickled.

One day one of my Dutch colleagues commented "You Brits are really funny, when I was in London (he was an ex-submariner in the Dutch Navy) I noticed you eat your fish and chips from newspapers"

Speaking of fish and chips, check this guy out.
I'd like to read what you think.

He's making it border-line too complicated (IMO) but there are some good ideas.

As a historical note, in the US during the great depression, dill pickles were a cheap source of dill flavoring. I've tried recipes using dill pickles for stuff like poached or baked salmon and cod.

His Tar-tar sauce sounds wayy too "fru-fru" for my taste (where's the cilantro and wasabi? ) but its supposed to be a "house sauce" so I'll allow it.
Old 06-08-23, 01:18 AM   #39
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

It's been thirty years since I had deep fried cheeseburgers served wrapped in newspaper. As a fiscal conservative I always approved of the method. I've used the Sunday funnies as gift wrap too. The food I miss most of all from Scotland is the shoestring French fries with malt vinegar served from the Dunkin Donut kiosk at the end of the pier.

I love dill spice, I put it in many dishes.
Old 06-08-23, 01:45 AM   #40
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
I love dill spice, I put it in many dishes.
That's what goes on the salmon over diced purple onion, tomato, capers, and cream cheese all on a garlic toasted bagel !

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-23, 02:06 AM   #41
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Icon10

Gnawing on a homemade heated salami, cole slaw, and Swiss on sliced Italian artisan bread. So take that.

Old 06-08-23, 07:18 AM   #42
Commander Wallace
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
Gnawing on a homemade heated salami, cole slaw, and Swiss on sliced Italian artisan bread. So take that.

Your sandwich reminds me a bit of one I have had. I was in Pittsburgh to see a Hockey game between the Detroit Red Wings and the Hometown team, the Pittsburgh Penguins. Friends there insisted I have a taste of Pittsburgh in the form of a Primanti Brothers sandwich.

It can be various meats and or Kielbasa and Sauer Kraut with Coleslaw and fries piled on. You literally can't compress the sandwich enough to get your mouth around it. Apparently, the sandwich originates with the truck driving people there who not only didn't have the time to stop and eat but didn't have the room to lay anything out in the truck to eat.

So, Primanti brothers piled everything on one Sandwich. When we went to the Restaurant, it was very crowded. I was told in one location, it was common to go to Primanti brothers after a night out seeing live bands at the various clubs at two in the morning. I wasn't sure I would like the Sandwich but it was awesome. I can understand why Primanti Brothers has such a following. Even dignitaries to the area went to Primanti's for a Sandwich. If anyone is ever there, try a Sandwich there. You won't be disappointed.

https://primantibros.com/

https://www.menuism.com/menus/primanti-brothers-207636

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 06-08-23 at 07:35 AM.
Old 06-08-23, 07:19 AM   #43
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

^ Trumped by the Beef Rogan Josh I've just had for lunch

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-23, 07:32 AM   #44
Commander Wallace
Silent Hunter

Quote:
^ Trumped by the Beef Rogan Josh I've just had for lunch

If we were there and you were visiting, I would treat you to a Hockey game and a Primanti Brothers " Sammich " and a couple pints to wash it down. I would even spring for the Rolaids Stomach meds for " heartburn " that you might need later. I certainly needed the Rolaids.

They need to open a couple Primanti Brothers in the Midwest and near Red Wings Venues.
Old 06-08-23, 11:43 AM   #45
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post

pics or it didn't happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
If we were there and you were visiting, I would treat you to a Hockey game and a Primanti Brothers " Sammich " and a couple pints to wash it down. I would even spring for the Rolaids Stomach meds for " heartburn " that you might need later. I certainly needed the Rolaids.

They need to open a couple Primanti Brothers in the Midwest and near Red Wings Venues.
...your post's syntax is a trifle on the 'puckish' side amigo!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote