SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-15-23, 02:07 AM   #2686
scorch092
Nub

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0

Hi iambecomelife, I hope everything is going well with you and your new team!

I recently read (on Wikipedia) that the U-boat campaign during the First World War "saw U-boats operating in both the Far East and South East Asia... [and] the Indian Ocean...". There is no citation for this and I can't find any other information on it. Is this true? I think that whoever wrote it might have been referring to WWII by mistake. If it is true, will it be a part of the mod?

Also, I was wondering (as a Canadian who always likes to see Canada represented in video games) how Canada will be represented in the mod? Will the HMCS Niobe (or the Diadem class cruisers in general) be in the mod? We hear a lot about the HMCS Niobe and HMCS Rainbow in high school history classes because they were the first two ships bought for the navy, so they would be interesting to see (and sink) given their importance in Canadian politics in the years before the war. However, the HMCS Rainbow operated off the West Coast so I guess I can't sink her

The last things I wanted to ask have probably been asked before but it was if you plan on adding Austro-Hungarian U-boats or any other playable faction into the mod at any point? Also, what will the UI for the "targeting computer" look like? Basically, do I need to learn any additional math before I play the mod

Sorry for all the questions, just really excited about the mod!

Cheers!

Last edited by scorch092; 03-15-23 at 02:38 AM.
scorch092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-23, 07:54 PM   #2687
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch092 View Post
Hi iambecomelife, I hope everything is going well with you and your new team!

I recently read (on Wikipedia) that the U-boat campaign during the First World War "saw U-boats operating in both the Far East and South East Asia... [and] the Indian Ocean...". There is no citation for this and I can't find any other information on it. Is this true? I think that whoever wrote it might have been referring to WWII by mistake. If it is true, will it be a part of the mod?

Also, I was wondering (as a Canadian who always likes to see Canada represented in video games) how Canada will be represented in the mod? Will the HMCS Niobe (or the Diadem class cruisers in general) be in the mod? We hear a lot about the HMCS Niobe and HMCS Rainbow in high school history classes because they were the first two ships bought for the navy, so they would be interesting to see (and sink) given their importance in Canadian politics in the years before the war. However, the HMCS Rainbow operated off the West Coast so I guess I can't sink her

The last things I wanted to ask have probably been asked before but it was if you plan on adding Austro-Hungarian U-boats or any other playable faction into the mod at any point? Also, what will the UI for the "targeting computer" look like? Basically, do I need to learn any additional math before I play the mod

Sorry for all the questions, just really excited about the mod!

Cheers!
There will be Canadian ships in the mod. HMS Niobe might be modeled .... mainly because the Cressy class armored cruisers are confirmed for the roster (needed for the "Live Bait" mission of course!!) and the Niobe and her sisters were very similar in appearance to that class, so they won't take much work....basically, remove the big 9.2" turrets from Cressy Class and make a few other adjustments.

We also will include the Canadian liner "Royal Edward" if there is time.

Players will also encounter Canadian merchant ships and fishing boats at random.

Austro-Hungarian subs are definite "reach goal"/add-on territory, since I want to get a German player campaign out as soon as possible. But maybe by 2025.

I believe the comments about WWI subs in the Pacific were a mistake. All records I have reviewed say the most distant missions in WWI were to the United States East Coast....with no Pacific or Indian Ocean cruises.

No plans for a detailed WWI period analog targeting computer due to inadequate source materials - plus the limits of SH4's moddability.

Thanks for your interest and I hope you enjoy our next updates.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-23, 06:09 PM   #2688
Antonin Dvorak
Nub

Downloads: 59
Exclamation The spelling of names is a difficult matter, it isn't just one of your holiday games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
On the German side "Weisbaden"
Wiesbaden.
"ei" and "ie" sound completely different in German, and yes, mixing them up is very common in English speakers.

In other news ... this mod gets better by the week, and I am pretty stoked. Not many WW1 sub games/simulators out there (I only know of "Shells of Fury". Which does incorporate mine laying ... an important activity in WW1)
Antonin Dvorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-23, 06:16 PM   #2689
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome back!

Antonin Dvorak!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-23, 07:27 PM   #2690
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211

Getting better each day. Hope we´ll have a beta version for try it

Thanks for a work of years, Iambecomelife.

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-23, 09:14 PM   #2691
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Couldn't resist revisions to the "Iron Duke" .... the good news is this helps put the Orion Class and King George V Class up to date. Hang in there people, we are getting there.

Old 03-19-23, 08:10 AM   #2692
vickers03
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 702
Uploads: 37

vickers03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-23, 02:30 PM   #2693
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

There's always so much to do... but the surface ship revamp of old units on my HD is humming along! Juggling this and a ton of playable unit stuff....

Old 03-25-23, 02:50 PM   #2694
lederhosen
Planesman

Downloads: 421

the wait is killing me
Old 03-26-23, 04:47 PM   #2695
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt
中国水兵

Downloads: 162

Can't wait

Rapidi Ed Invisibili-the campaign (an italian mod for SH4)
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-23, 06:46 PM   #2696
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

More good news; one of the biggest reenovation jobs of the mod is complete - HMS King George V and Orion class are very nearly finished and ready for skinning, using parts from the new Iron Duke model.

That was another big thorn in my side and time sink, so things are coming together rapidly.

This morning I built a flying-off platform for the Orion Class; it will be added to other Royal Navy ships that had aircraft. In the game, these ships will get an airgroup of Sopwith Camels or Short 184 seaplanes, so players will have to be careful when attacking.

Work on U-9 class should not take long because it has the same 2 Bow - 2 Stern torpedo tube configuration as several existing submarines like the U-31 class. Just have to remove a few crew slots in the files and work on proper kerosene exhaust - plus the retractable funnel.

Also Tonnage King just handed over Devonshire class for detailing, which is more great news; it is so helpful to have capable contributors. Salute to him - this takes the place of the old Devonshire model that was destroyed by a virus attack.
Old 03-30-23, 02:06 PM   #2697
Vox165
Soundman

Downloads: 141

I’m really forward to this. The graphics continue to amaze me.
Vox165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-23, 07:53 AM   #2698
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt
中国水兵

Downloads: 162

IABL: the revisited sound pack is ready. I sent you via PM, the mediafire's link with it. Hope you'll apreciate it

If you don't like it, feel free to send me your doubts.

Rapidi Ed Invisibili-the campaign (an italian mod for SH4)
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-23, 07:24 PM   #2699
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Thanks Oliver - downloading now!

In other news I typed up an updated complete list of confirmed major warships for the mod!

As I stated before - to save time the initial release focuses only on the German and British navies. Other nations will have warships such as generic armed trawlers, gunboats etc. Other countries rosters will be done later.

United Kingdom

Queen Elizabeth Class Battleships
Revenge Class Battleships
Iron Duke Class Battleships
King George V Class Battleships
Orion Class Battleships
Colossus Class Battleships
St. Vincent Class Battleships
Bellerophon Class Battleships

Tiger Class Battlecruiser
Queen Mary Class Battlecruiser
Lion Class Battlecruisers
Indefatigable Class Battlecruisers
Invincible Class Battlecruisers

Defence Class Cruisers
Warrior Class Cruisers
Duke of Edinburgh Class Cruisers
Devonshire Class Cruisers
Drake Class Cruisers
Cressy Class Cruisers
Monmouth Class Cruisers
Hawke Class Cruisers
Weymouth Class Light Cruisers
Bristol Class Light Cruisers
Chatham Class Light Cruisers
Birmingham Class Light Cruisers
Arethusa Class Light Cruisers
Caroline Class Light Cruisers
Ceres Class Light Cruisers
Gem Class Light Cruisers
Patrol Class Light Cruisers
Heavy Armed Merchant Cruiser
Medium Armed Merchant Cruiser
Light Armed Merchant Cruiser

V & W Class Destroyer
Botha Class Destroyer
Admiralty M Class Destroyer
Improved M Class Destroyer
M Class - Four Funnel Destroyer
M Class - Two Funnel Destroyer
R Class Destroyer
L Class Destroyer
K Class Destroyer
Acorn Class Destroyer
Acheron Class Destroyer
1890's 30-Knot Type Destroyer
River Class Destroyer
Tribal Class Destroyer

Germany

Konig Class Battleships
Kaiser Class Battleships
Helgoland Class Battleships
Nassau Class Battleships
Deutschland Class Battleships

Derfflinger Class Battlecruisers
Seydlitz Class Battlecruisers
Moltke Class Battlecruisers
Von der Tann Class Battlecruiser

Scharnhorst Class Armored Cruisers
Yorck Class Armored Cruisers
Roon Class Armored Cruisers
Furst Bismarck Class Armored Cruiser

Magdeburg Class Cruiser
Kolberg Class Cruiser
Wiesbaden Class Cruiser
Brummer Class Cruiser

V-25 Class Destroyer
V-1 Class Destroyer
S-31 Class Destroyer
S-49 Class Destroyer
G-37 Class Destroyer
G-101 Class Destroyer

A-1 Class Torpedo Boat
A-26 Class Torpedo Boat

There will also be AI submarines - 2-3 British classes (not decided yet), and AI variants of probably every German class.
Old 04-14-23, 09:45 PM   #2700
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Suffered a minor setback that was recently overcome....lol..had NIGHTMARISH problems with the HMS Orion renovation, which was to have taken very little time...That modeling job became a disaster, but through perseverance I now have that ship approaching proper quality. The problems with the Orion model in turn delayed the King George V model, the light cruiser models, U9, and lots of sweet damage effects - to say nothing of the upcoming video. But that has been resolved! Hang in there, things are back on track.