SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion > Jutland
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-10-09, 01:23 PM   #31
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lempereur1
Firewalls dont like Jutland.
You have to let it by pass the firewalls. You might also try running the game in the Windowed mode. Change the display settings until the windowed mode shows up.
Brilliant!!! Windowed mode would fix the whole problem and no game adjustments would be necessary at all. But that does beg the question of why the game keeps firewall permission windows from taking the foreground when windowed mode gives you access to the entire desktop.

I do love the entire concept of your anti-piracy measures, especially the reversion to demo mode on violation. This makes the demo very promiscuous, while keeping full rights games to those willing to pay your salary. This game is worth a trip to the movies with a small family. If you won't pay and feel entitled to steal it you're pretty pitiful. I just read AVG Warhawk's review. That's enough for me. I'm convinced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lempereur1
You have some excellent suggestions about the scripting.
Do you know of any existing scripts that do this?

Thanks,

Jim Rose
I'm afraid I'm not a programmer. I do have a script recorder, but you'd need a script that identified the firewall being used and executed the proper commands to grant the proper permission for that specific firewall. That's out of my league! I wouldn't be surprised if Firewalls weren't programmed not to allow script control anyway. The windowed mode suggestion is best.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-09, 08:58 PM   #32
Lempereur1
Storm Eagle Studios

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Jutland Full Trial Build 2

We are testing JUtland trial build 2 (Which will also be the current version of Jutland the day we compile the release candiate.)

This version 2 of the Trial will also include all the patches and bug fixes that we have completed since relase (Currently version 1.019, that means we have issued 19 patches since release!)

We have added several additional scripts that remove the Vista permissions issues from release 1.0

We have also included a link to the website Portforward.com for Router issues.

That site may be the best place we have ever seen for gamers with Router vs. Games issues!

Becasue we access the internet from inside the game, alot of Firewalls dont like it.
Starting up in WIndowed mode will solve many, many issues, mostly with Zone Alarm and such.

The other side of the coin on the DRM is the autoupdating allows for uniform game updating and decreases the support issues resulting from having to troubleshoot multiple versions.

We always try to make the kind of games we would want to buy.

Sincerely,

Jim Rose
Lempereur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-09, 06:27 PM   #33
CaptHawkeye
Weps

Downloads: 1

I gotta hand it to you guys with some of the recent patches. Destroyers finally handle like they should and night attacks are feasible now because the AI doesn't have thermal vision anymore and its cool. I've been playing Death of Pommern relentlessly because it plays like it's supposed to. Last night I finally managed to sink Konig, Pommern, and Hessen with a well managed torpedo assault on the German fleet and we got away with nary a shot fired in return. The newspapers in Germany sure won't be calling Jutland a one sided victory now.
CaptHawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 01:20 AM   #34
Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptHawkeye
I've been playing Death of Pommern relentlessly because it plays like it's supposed to. Last night I finally managed to sink Konig, Pommern, and Hessen with a well managed torpedo assault on the German fleet and we got away with nary a shot fired in return. The newspapers in Germany sure won't be calling Jutland a one sided victory now.
Congrats! My cousin Capt. Stirling, who led the real attack, would be quite proud
Bullethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-09, 02:53 PM   #35
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Downloads: 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullethead
No problem. We're well aware that some folks hate DRMs so much that they refuse to own anything (or so they think) with a DRM. Such folks periodically drop by our other forum to flame us about it, and some go so far as to actually lie about having bad experiences with it in an effort to turn away other customers. They also spread such tales elsewhere, which leads to much disinformation.
Translation: people complaining about your DRM are liars. Can you back that up with facts? I.e. give links to threads where this was taking place.

I have searched a bit on the internet and i.m.o. most people have just made it clear that they will never give money for a software that will self-deactivate after seven days. Badmouthing them for just that is very bad style.

GlobalExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-09, 07:20 PM   #36
TheSamuraiJedi
Seaman

Didnt stop me from buying the game. I understand where people are coming from, but alot of games require a connection to the internet just to play it, Half Life 2 comes to mind.
TheSamuraiJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-09, 08:06 PM   #37
MoToM
Watch

Downloads: 2

Also consider you have to have an internet connection to even get the game, why would you then play it on a computer without one?
MoToM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-09, 10:01 PM   #38
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85

Hello Bullethead.

Ive been playing Jutland since the day after it came out. I have had no no issues with the game. the only problem ive had sofar is that I sometimes useing that end battle button, after a while the game crashes. (which is no big deal, I probably would have lost anyway.)
Old 02-16-09, 07:44 AM   #39
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoToM
Also consider you have to have an internet connection to even get the game, why would you then play it on a computer without one?
This remark is absolutely typical for this kind of discussion.

Myself I was without internet for about three years. First I lived in a flat without a telephone, then I moved to a place where the technician couldnt enter the cellar because it was litterally filled with junk. I tried UMTS but they said it's not available or much too slow where I lived. I could go online periodically with the help of wireless routers but it was never permanent and generally too slow.

During that time I used to download demos and patches from the office or from internet cafes. I was very active online and participated in several projects in the web. I downloaded and tried Distant Guns during that time. Most importantly, I could play all my games without any problems or artificial obstacles.

People who have internet connections are completely ignorant of the problem. But they will learn as soon as they intend to move, especially in countries like Germany where internet is often not available for several reasons. And outside of Europe and North America, people with internet access in their homes are still a minority.

Imagine a world where all games would use this kind of "copy protection". Would people actually have to move to another place only to be able to play games?

This system is prone to failure for many other reasons, but internet access is reason number 1 why it must not become the norm.

Old 02-16-09, 08:45 AM   #40
Zakalwe
Torpedoman

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalExplorer
But they will learn as soon as they intend to move, especially in countries like Germany where internet is often not available for several reasons.
Huh?!?

I would say yes if you said "DSL", but if you don`t decide to live in a place without a phoneline (which should be really rare in Germany), you always have dial-up or maybe ISDN. Sure, no fun, but enough for the game to connect and letting you play. Most patches are in 1 to 2 MB range, so also possible with dial-up.

Last edited by Zakalwe; 02-16-09 at 09:00 AM.
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-09, 10:04 AM   #41
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

As I said have seen several places where there was either no phone plug or where the technicians could not get it to work. This is usually not so much an issue because a lot of people only have a mobile phone and no landline. I for instance have had no landline for more than 5 years.

So, following MoTom's logic I'd say there are quite a lot of folks without internet, you just don't hear very much from them in the www.

Old 02-21-09, 05:12 PM   #42
HS
Bosun

Downloads: 20
Default Using Zeppelins and submarines

Two simple newbie questions (hope its ok within this thread):

1. Can anyone describe how (i.e. by which orders) to make best use of zeppelins and submarines during a campaign? Is it better to use as much way points as possible (e.g. near British bases) or are patrol or area patrol orders a better alternative?

2. (How) is it possible to use single u-boats and zeppelins?

As to these questions I did not find direct answers in the manual. Sorry in case I overlooked sth.

Thank you
HS
HS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-09, 05:14 PM   #43
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS
Simple newbie question (hope its ok within this thread): Can anyone describe how (i.e. by which orders) to make best use of zeppelins and submarines during a campaign? Is it better to use as much way points as possible (e.g. near British bases) or are patrol or area patrol orders a better alternative?

Thank you
HS
Area patrol seems to make as much use of the Zeps or Submarines, they're really not meant to be used in groups
Old 02-21-09, 05:42 PM   #44
Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS
hope its ok within this thread

Questions is in the title so I guess it's OK .

Quote:
1. Can anyone describe how (i.e. by which orders) to make best use of zeppelins and submarines during a campaign? Is it better to use as much way points as possible (e.g. near British bases) or are patrol or area patrol orders a better alternative?

As Raptor1 said, the best thing to do is Area Patrol. To use this, select the sub/zep TF then put the cursor on the campaign map where you want the center of the patrol area. Right click there and select the Area Patrol order. At that point, a box will pop up where you can enter the radius. This is in map HEXES (actually squares, but I'm in the habit of saying "hexes"). Move the slider to however many hexes you want to go out in all directions from the center point, and hit the OK button.

Quote:
2. (How) is it possible to use single u-boats and zeppelins?
Use the Task Force Organization screen to drag individual subs or zeps out of their parent TFs into their own, solo TFs. Then order them around like any of your other TFs.
Bullethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-09, 06:41 PM   #45
HS
Bosun

Downloads: 20

"... put the cursor on the campaign map where you want the center of the patrol area. Right click there and select the Area Patrol order ..."

Ok, thanks. But how can I find/ see the center or the radius on the map afterwards (eg in order to check them or to remember their exact position a few days later)?
HS is offline   Reply With Quote