SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion > Pirates & Sailing Ships
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-26-08, 12:06 PM   #31
Laffertytig
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 110
Uploads: 0

i signed up for this game on the 1st day of release and for the 1st couple of months it was a lot of fun but i just became bored with it, in fact i havent played it since early april and i have now cancelled subsciption.

every pirates game i play i base it on the old pirates game by microprose on the amiga. potbs just became a grindfest.
maybe its just a case of me rememberin pirates from when i played it years ago, or maybe potbs doesnt match up im not really sure.

i wouldnt rule out gettin back into it though in a few month when hopefully there will be lots more content.
Laffertytig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-08, 04:55 PM   #32
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

Sorry, with sailing into the wind, no real damage, no crew casualties, there is no possible way you can call it a wargame at any level. If a "spell of windward sailing" ain't "elves" I dunno what is, lol.
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-08, 11:06 PM   #33
Skorn
Bosun

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater
Sorry, with sailing into the wind, no real damage, no crew casualties, there is no possible way you can call it a wargame at any level. If a "spell of windward sailing" ain't "elves" I dunno what is, lol.
Not trying to say the game is perfect by any means here, but if they made a 100% realistic MMO the number of players who would buy it would be less than it is already. As far as sailing into the wind, yeah you can do it but you go *extremely* slow. What type of real damage are you speaking of? You can lose crew (although they do absolutely nothing outside of boarding combat), sails, guns, armor, and structure.

I agree that taking crew casualties should have penalites for your ship handling and gunnery skills. The game could definitely use some work, but I'm afraid it'll be too little too late. They're steadily losing players on all servers.
skorn17@hotmail.com
ICQ 92296172

Every ship can be a minesweeper...once.
Skorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-09, 07:55 PM   #34
Travis Reed
Planesman

Downloads: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by tater
Not trying to say the game is perfect by any means here, but if they made a 100% realistic MMO the number of players who would buy it would be less than it is already. As far as sailing into the wind, yeah you can do it but you go *extremely* slow. What type of real damage are you speaking of? You can lose crew (although they do absolutely nothing outside of boarding combat), sails, guns, armor, and structure.

I agree that taking crew casualties should have penalites for your ship handling and gunnery skills. The game could definitely use some work, but I'm afraid it'll be too little too late. They're steadily losing players on all servers.
Crew loss does affect your ship's handling and such, but it's not particularly noticeable until you lose 50% or more of your crew.

I did play when it first came out, but quickly became bored of the grind...
Old 01-11-09, 11:58 AM   #35
Skorn
Bosun

Downloads: 2

Yeah it did get a little old...I recently took advantage of some free trials to reactivate my account and it's a bit more fun now. It's far easier to get money and within just a week or two I had enough gold saved up for a third-rate all decked out with the finest fittings for all 3 durability plus a few nice frigates. They've made a lot of changes to avatar combat and ship combat as well and you can reactivate for a month without charge, so you might want to check it out if you have any second thoughts.
skorn17@hotmail.com
ICQ 92296172

Every ship can be a minesweeper...once.
Skorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-09, 05:04 PM   #36
Laffertytig
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 110

the problem i have with it is that it just seems like wow with pirate ships and the constant level grind gets old really fast. its no wonder numbers are droppin. wow players are never gonna stop playin wow to join potbs and players like myself who dont like wow end up leaving.

maybe if they tried to be original in they're development of potbs and not just copy wow it would be more successful
Laffertytig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 04:03 AM   #37
Herr_Pete
Commodore

Downloads: 102

I am back to playing this game now Level 50 British Naval Officer on Blackbeard. I go by the name Peter Norrington and I am apart of BB Biggest British Society 'Caribe Rum Runners' .Numbers are on the increase again no doubt to massive changes in the game but i must admit we need something really special to drag people back in the hundreds.

My Drydock:

Invincible 1st Rate
Trinity 2nd Rate
Valiant 3rd Rate
Herculese
Cap MC

Will be removing the cap mc or herculese to make room for the Triumphant 2nd Rate
Herr_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-09, 10:16 AM   #38
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5

I played potbs when it first launche prior to all these nerfs.

Had three charecters and was a part of a large 'guild' which had production out the window.

Within a month or two the 'guild' began to dwindle and about the same time I got bored with it and have never looked back.

The game still stuggles and I browse thier forums occassionally and it seems like nothing has changed over there.

If you want large scale wooden ship warfare I would recommend Empire Total War. While still not an accurate portrayal its a hellua lot of fun and you dont have to play 3 months to afford a 3rd rate.
Old 05-13-09, 09:55 PM   #39
Highbury
The Old Man

Downloads: 174

Yeah I played from beta until just before the merger (on Bonny), but every time I have checked the forums to see if things have gotten better, it just seems worse.
Highbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-09, 04:55 AM   #40
papa_smurf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 33

Did play a while ago, just got bored of the repetition. I was a lvl 50 NO with a Valiant 3rd rate; Defiant and a few other ships.

papa_smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-09, 06:35 AM   #41
Kloef
Weps

Downloads: 30

This game was fun in the Beta days,before you had to pay every month....they killed the game by making it too easy.

Portbattles was really special,you worked your ass to the bone to get a spot,now the servers are too empty too have enough players....i was really excited about this game,but it got boring within 2 weeks..just ship battles and swashbuckling and nothing else..

Now they have the 2 week trail sceme,i cant get a 2 week trail to take a look at what has changed and maybe start again because i bought the game 1,5 years ago....

What a mess they made of such a pearl of a game,luckily i found East India Company!

http://www.dutchsubmarines.com/
Kloef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-09, 04:41 AM   #42
Bribarian
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

Problem with the game was simply the instanced battleground. Takes a lot out of an open sea immersion.

I remember ganking was bad too, 3-4 gankers, with one speedboat tackler, who got you and then you were screwed.
Bribarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-10, 01:26 PM   #43
Rilder
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Just letting you all know this is going free-to-play tomorrow.
Old 11-21-10, 05:05 PM   #44
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

And worth every penny?
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-10, 10:37 AM   #45
Seeadler
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilder View Post
Just letting you all know this is going free-to-play tomorrow.
It's now F2P (with some limitations)
http://www.burningsea.com/page/home