SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-09-23, 01:48 AM   #1
Captain Johno
Swabbie

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0
Default GWX team suggests you create a ―dummy‖ career

Hi guys,

Getting back into SH3 with the GWX Onealex edition (along with everyone else), after having played GWX back in 2020.

Read through steps to create a "Dummy Career" as mentioned in the GWX manual, under Game Bugs/Saved Games, Page 14 (PDF 27/644)
- "Players who have just one career in stock Silent Hunter III will occasionally find their career has no saved games . . . . . .so the GWX team suggests you create a ―dummy‖ career (e.g., for Leutnant z. S. Fubar) before starting your real career to ensure this does not happen."

GWX OneAlex also makes reference to this on 8/64 ".
-"For the stable operation of the save system, it makes sense to keep a dummy career in which the boat went on one trip and is now in the database. "

So what do I actually do to satisfy the criteria, and how far do I have to go into the mission to initiate this successful Career SAVE?

Select "Default Player" / Accept / New Career /
Select 1939 / 1st Flortille
Mission (Select Map) - Read -"PAtrol Area AO44" - Kiel to Kiel
START

So can I just SAVE & EXIT, after viewing the boat in port. Or do I have to take the boat out to see and leave there, or return to port completing the patrol. Obviously I'll never be returning to use this "Default Player" again, moving on to create my careers through SH3 Commander !

P.S.
I posted here because the GWX (Grey Wolves eXpansion Mod) forums seems inaccessible at the moment, and searching seemed to only reveal posts from "2007"

Apologies for posting twice, I accidentally posted in the Sticky: Mod from Onealex, my post didn't appear there? So I posted here. Please delete as needed. My butter fingers.

Captain Johno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-23, 09:35 PM   #2
Grumpy Pete
Shore leave

Downloads: 8

Take it out to sea. You don't want to be within about 50 Kilometers from a port or shipping when you do a save.
Grumpy Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-23, 09:47 PM   #3
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

I agree with grumpy Pete. Get far away from land and make the save. Then you should be good.

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-23, 03:14 AM   #4
Captain Johno
Swabbie

Downloads: 29

from the "GWX OneAlex edition" manual

"keep a dummy career in which the boat went on one trip and is now

in the database. You should create your career after such a dummy career has been created, otherwise the saves may inexplicably disappear invisibly "

So does this have to be a full trip, or half way and SAVE at sea?

Thanks

Captain Johno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-23, 08:01 AM   #5
stork100
Weps

Downloads: 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Johno View Post
So does this have to be a full trip, or half way and SAVE at sea?
Just end the patrol/trip as soon as it begins i.e. escape key and dock at the current port. The distance traveled shouldn't make any difference, as you're simply creating an entry which will register as a patrol completed in that dummy career. Then create your new career, through Commander if desired, and play as normal.
stork100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-23, 02:03 AM   #6
horaortizy
Cadet

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Johno View Post
Hi guys,

Getting back into SH3 with the GWX Onealex edition (along with everyone else), after having played GWX back in 2020.

Read through steps to create a "Dummy Career" as mentioned in the GWX manual, under Game Bugs/Saved Games, Page 14 (PDF 27/644)
- "Players who have just one career in stock Silent Hunter III will occasionally find their career has no saved games . . . . . .mini crossword
so the GWX team suggests you create a ―dummy‖ career (e.g., for Leutnant z. S. Fubar) before starting your real career to ensure this does not happen."

GWX OneAlex also makes reference to this on 8/64 ".
-"For the stable operation of the save system, it makes sense to keep a dummy career in which the boat went on one trip and is now in the database. "

So what do I actually do to satisfy the criteria, and how far do I have to go into the mission to initiate this successful Career SAVE?

Select "Default Player" / Accept / New Career /
Select 1939 / 1st Flortille
Mission (Select Map) - Read -"PAtrol Area AO44" - Kiel to Kiel
START

So can I just SAVE & EXIT, after viewing the boat in port. Or do I have to take the boat out to see and leave there, or return to port completing the patrol. Obviously I'll never be returning to use this "Default Player" again, moving on to create my careers through SH3 Commander !

P.S.
I posted here because the GWX (Grey Wolves eXpansion Mod) forums seems inaccessible at the moment, and searching seemed to only reveal posts from "2007"

Apologies for posting twice, I accidentally posted in the Sticky: Mod from Onealex, my post didn't appear there? So I posted here. Please delete as needed. My butter fingers.
I share the pessimism of Pete the grump. To save, you must get far away from land. Then you ought to be OK.
horaortizy is offline   Reply With Quote