SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-22-18, 07:58 AM   #1
Niume
Sea Lord

Downloads: 499
Uploads: 2

Default Which modpack is better suited for singleplayer

Which modpack is better suited for singleplayer?

GLORY TO UKRAINE!

[ENG] SH 4 KSD II Ace Edition
Niume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-18, 07:11 PM   #2
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 56
Uploads: 0

Keep in mind that neither LWAMI or RA were designed for single player.
You can "tame" both of them somewhat by editing your missions for a better single player experience.

LWAMI adds some updated (but old) models but also nerfs your sensor performance. LWANI also adds some limited changes to the game's data base.

RA adds a lot more capability to the game but assumes you've been playing DW since 2005 and you're just that good or just that bored with stock DW in multiplayer. The best way I've found to understand RA is to assume that after the cold war ended, the NATO navies all went into hibernation while the old Warsaw Pact navies.....didn't. The balance of power has shifted at sea and now everyone is on a more equal footing and it will be up to you to adapt your tactics.
The downside of RA is that the Quick Mission function is now, basically, un-survivable 90% of the time. Its best to see the Quick Missions as a simulator on shore where you go to train in new tactics or get used to operating a new platform. In other words, don't get frustrated if you're sunk. Use the exercise to figure out how to do it better.

The one hint I can give you with RA is that its well-documented. Read EVERYTHING that is included with each update. If you launch a wep that acts goofy or does nothing, READ THE DOCS AGAIN.

Also keep in mind that RA was not meant to be played by folks who are new to Dangerous Waters or submarine games in general. Its better to learn the game and its tactics by playing vanilla DW for a while and figuring out what's going on before you install RA.
ET2SN is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-18, 04:56 PM   #3
MANoWAR.U52
Loader

Downloads: 97

Use JGSME and you can play both.

Last edited by MANoWAR.U52; 11-20-18 at 01:04 AM.
MANoWAR.U52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-19, 10:44 AM   #4
Treetop64
Torpedoman

Downloads: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
Keep in mind that neither LWAMI or RA were designed for single player.
I know this is late but I must disagree with this statement.

Been playing LWAMI 3.10/3.11 since it's release, exclusively single-player, and have had no issues with it whatsoever. You absolutely can play it single player. It's only a matter of playing suitable missions or designing one's own.

Still have to be careful in Quick Missions since that part of the sim is still "vanilla" and, consequently, units are often positioned much closer to each other than they normally should be.
Treetop64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-19, 12:17 AM   #5
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Icon14

I was debating if I should post this here or start a new thread, but I think we need to talk about RA 1.48.

RA 1.48 with its patch #3 is a blast. Single player mode is back and even the quick missions work well.

Are some platforms and weps overpowered? Probably. Is having to change your tactics to fight them a bad thing? I would argue for "no". RA, IMO, is an update for DW which adds modern capabilities based on info that is very hard to verify. Modern weps require more work and programming prior to launch, if that means you'll need to make a "check list" it only makes the game more realistic.

The one aspect of the game (again, this is IMO) where RA might not work is if you're into the old school Cold War scenarios (1950's to the 1980's). This part is tough to pull off using one data base that also features modern platforms and weps. It may be (and again, IMO) that a separate mod is needed. Maybe call it RA Old School or Old Waters?

In short, you'll still need to up your game which means that RA is probably the closest we'll get to Dangerous Waters II. So, hats off to Crazy Ivan for being able to cram 50 pounds of stuff into an old 5 pound bag and still make it work. RA 1.48 is the first version where it feels like the old hands will enjoy it while new folks will have a chance to learn how to play it.

Old 08-15-19, 12:50 AM   #6
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop64 View Post

Been playing LWAMI 3.10/3.11 since it's release, exclusively single-player, and have had no issues with it whatsoever. You absolutely can play it single player. It's only a matter of playing suitable missions or designing one's own.
No, we're on the same page.

Back in the old days, most DW MP games were blue sub vs. red sub. The problem was that the blue subs had a HUGE tactical advantage with their broadband waterfall sonar displays. It was much easier to identify that you had a new contact to track and you could have a workable shooting solution before the red sub even detected you.

What LWAMI did was to narrow the scope on the broadband displays. At least the red sub MP guys had some baffles to hide in.

In single player, LWAMI works great once you understood that the baffles are there.

What I was trying to avoid was writing something that sounded like "The old Mod is better than the new Mod which is still being developed". That kind of comparison would be unfair to both Mods and their authors.

Last edited by ET2SN; 08-15-19 at 04:55 AM.
Old 12-03-19, 04:09 PM   #7
TheCabal
Swabbie

Downloads: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop64 View Post

Still have to be careful in Quick Missions since that part of the sim is still "vanilla" and, consequently, units are often positioned much closer to each other than they normally should be.
So I'm able to play the stock campaigns and stock missions without any problems with LWAMI? Incl. SC campaigns made for DW? Or is it still better to go Vanilla?

What about after I played through the single player stock stuff with/without LWAMI? Go for RA then?

___/ Twitch \___
__// Twitter \\__
_/// Youtube \\\_

TheCabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-19, 04:45 PM   #8
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

You can play stock campaign with LwAmi. After finish i recommend to change mod to RA and you will be able to play campaigns from 688 H/K and Sub Command. Stock DW campaign was never upgraded for RA and could be impossible to finish on some platforms (like first mission on sub)

This thread is wrong - because both main mods are good for single. Sentence: RA is good only for multiplayer is false. Currently RA is better for single player missions because it's still developed.

RA and LwAmi are completly different and people who aren't good players in RA says many myths about RA.

In my opinion both mods are worth to play. It will show you how the same game could be different with mods

RA is much closer to realism but also much more complicated (some game mechanics based on cleaver "code" solutions). Lwami greatly improves vanilla game in direction closer to Sonalysts vision.

If you looking multiplayer - only RA is currently played.
We play DW + RA every Friday and Saturday.
Old 10-29-20, 04:55 AM   #9
Captain Reyes
Bosun

Downloads: 19

Had some of my best singleplayer sessions with RA 1.50
Captain Reyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-20, 10:22 AM   #10
Ghost Dog
Planesman

Downloads: 114

another vote for RA 1.50

lots of playable platforms, tons of new weapons and options (read the weapons manual!). Some missions and campaigns are janky and even broken, but still the best mod for DW in my opinion.

free image host
Ghost Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-20, 12:43 PM   #11
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Before reading this post, just know I think you should definitely try out both mods. It's easy enough to do and who knows better which you'll like more than yourself?

Some of my reluctance to use RA exclusively or enjoy it thoroughly precisely comes down to just how much stuff is in that mod. Trying to become familiar with all the platforms, weapons, sound emissions, detection ranges, etc, etc becomes a full time job. I consider myself more of a casual player (two hours a week generally scratches my itch), so LWAMI is a happy medium between the stock game and the off the charts RA. My enjoyment from Dangerous Waters comes from going through the procedures, slowly building up a track over time, engaging, and completing the mission. The melee that tends to be Dangerous Waters multiplayer is not usually my cup of tea. In addition, the AI in RA is more aggressive than the LWAMI AI and I prefer conducting my ASW in a more relaxing, methodical manner. Playing RA is like playing a sport, it can be very intense and exhausting but perhaps more rewarding. I like LWAMI for some personal time and unwinding my week, not necessarily for a sense of accomplishment like playing a competitive sport. Perhaps that's much more info than you were looking for

I've heard RA 1.50 is good so I may consider trying it out. However, LWAMI suits my needs perfectly. I also thoroughly enjoy their well-documented manual and better overall documentation (very much a personal preference) as to what was changed in the mod and why and how the game of Dangerous Waters works in general. Definitely worth a read even if you don't use LWAMI.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-20, 05:45 PM   #12
Captain Reyes
Bosun

Downloads: 19

I recommend to check out both out alone for their unique SP content that shouldn´t be missed such as LWAMI´s fantastic Liu Doctrine campaign which I consider to rank among the best and the player platform scenarios and campaigns for RA which will give a complete new experience in DW. With which mod one wants to stick in SP then comes down to what FPSChazly summed up already.

When playing RA it is a good idea to keep its weapon guide around all time for printed or on another screen/smartphone.
Captain Reyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-20, 06:06 PM   #13
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

Liu doctrine was adopted to RA 1.50 beta (check scenario folder)