SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-04-06, 04:16 PM   #16
WargamerScott
Loader

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLAM Strike
I guess you didn't see this on Amazon...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...s=dvd&v=glance
Ha! No I didn't! The movie had a big cast I see....

WargamerScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-06, 04:19 PM   #17
WargamerScott
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nichols
Bedford Incident - Read the book, it ends much differently from the movie (better ending IMO). :|\
PM me with the real ending. I am curious how it differs.

Old 01-04-06, 08:56 PM   #18
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by WargamerScott
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nichols
Bedford Incident - Read the book, it ends much differently from the movie (better ending IMO). :|\
PM me with the real ending. I am curious how it differs.
Instead of a PM, here's the book's ending so everyone can know:

After the US destroyer sinks the Russian sub, the NATO liason officer (a former German U-boat commander who has been reliving his wartime experiences while the DD was hunting the Russian sub) goes crazy, takes his pistol, and fires it into a warhead in the ship's magazine. The magazine explodes and kills everyone onboard.
Old 01-05-06, 06:37 PM   #19
WargamerScott
Loader

Hmm...not so sure that I liked that ending. I think the movie ending might be better.

I watched it again the other night and it struck me how much the movie is yet another interpretation of Moby Dick. Why does every movie that deals with naval warfare feel obliged to reinterpret that great tale? Widmark had his Russian sub, Master and Commander had the French warship as the whale, Robert Mitchum had Kurt Jurgens' sub in the Enemy Below, heck, even Kirk had Khan! I think Crimson Tide was the only movie that didn't feel obliged to provide a white whale. Of course, that film was based on the Caine Mutiny and/or Mutiny on the Bounty.

Old 01-05-06, 06:58 PM   #20
DAB
Lieutenant

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Hmm...not so sure that I liked that ending. I think the movie ending might be better.

I watched it again the other night and it struck me how much the movie is yet another interpretation of Moby Dick. Why does every movie that deals with naval warfare feel obliged to reinterpret that great tale? Widmark had his Russian sub, Master and Commander had the French warship as the whale, Robert Mitchum had Kurt Jurgens' sub in the Enemy Below, heck, even Kirk had Khan! I think Crimson Tide was the only movie that didn't feel obliged to provide a white whale. Of course, that film was based on the Caine Mutiny and/or Mutiny on the Bounty.
The sea chase is the classic story...but the focus is not about the chase. Its a mechanism to put the protagonist under stress and bring out his or her character.
Old 11-06-06, 07:26 PM   #21
Grayback
A-ganger

Quote:
I heard KILO CLASS has been optioned for a movie.
That's Hollywood for you. I think that "Potemkin" is easily among the best, and also one of the one's most likely to survive the transition to screen. Hollywood has its own version of the GIUK gap, which results in even decent books looking horrible on screen. So who's work is chosen to make the perilous sojourn to popcorn land? Only one book written by one of the worst and most annoying contestants in the technothriller world, an artless loudmouth with a poor record for fact checking, plotting, character development or subtle delivery. I can think of a half-dozen writers who deserve to be wined & dined in LaLa Land, and Robinson isn't one of them. My only hope is that they'll pull a "Raise the Titanic", and we'll be spared any more of his books for at least 25 years.
Grayback is offline   Reply With Quote