SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-18-24, 09:30 AM   #316
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

Can tell you that I've come one huge step closer to purchase Quest 3.

Instead of paying money to the Danish IRS I get a refund around 3600 Danish kroner and a Quest cost Circa 4400-5200 Danish kroner.

I still have the annual dentist thing. Don't think the cost for this will be high.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-24, 10:14 AM   #317
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Cannot comment on your economic situation, its your assessment and decision making. In case you later join the club - you're welcome.

I just once again remind of that there are some follow-on costs in case you like the mask and want to stay with it (battery and/or headstrap, cable, maybe golf attachment which is quite expensive to get in Europe, unfortunately). Thegood thing is you can test step by step, but not go "all in" from beginning on.

A spring sale is currently going on in the Meta app store, and I could imagine additional auctions will take place around Easter.
Old 03-21-24, 05:53 PM   #318
Skybird
Soaring

Just finished my 11th full round on Pro level, and with the best stroke result so far, 103. It was East Lake, which is a par 70 course, so there is room for improvement. My results vary widely, from 103 to 123 . Its extremely challenging to become consistent, and I certainly understand by now why so many people say that Golf is one of the most difficult sports there is. Its true. So many body variables, which constantly change, environmental variables, even psychic variables - its extremely complex and challenging, and I am not even affected by stamina effects and 4 hours of walking and standing - I take around 80 minutes for a full round, thanks to teleporting. LOL

I currently play practically nothing else but Fallout 4 (2D) , Eleven (3D), and Golf+ (3D).

Although with the Nordschleife coming for ACC on April 1st - confirmed to be no April joke - and the imminent release of Pau for Raceroom, that may change, but probably not for long. I am "all in" now regarding Golf, and will book a test round - in real life - for guests in one of the two local golf ressorts we have over here, later this spring or early summer, when the weather is accordingly. They offer that for 9 holes.

Current ingame handicap on Pro is 23, but of course that is fluent, since I have not done 20 roudns minimum so far, but 23 ranksng me around 47000th place in the world ranking list on Pro level , the SG (strikes gained) rating has me on a similiar rank in the world rating list. Two more rounds, then I have played all tour courses I own at least once on this level, I will then start a new circle, the handicap only makes sense if you play a wide variety of courses, and frequently. I said my near future goal is to play 18 holes with not more than 99 strokes, I think that can be acchieved. Whether I will be able to drop my handicap to -18 - that remains to be seen LOL, its certainly a very long time project, nothing I will and can accomplish any time soon. Maybe not even this year.

Would never have guessed that I would be taken away this much by a VR golf game.
Old 03-21-24, 06:02 PM   #319
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Wasn't it not you who said that it may come some sale on Meta's homepage around Easter ?

I am following the homepage closely in order to get a pair of Quest 3 for a bargain.

Markus

Old 03-21-24, 06:21 PM   #320
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Wasn't it not you who said that it may come some sale on Meta's homepage around Easter ?
It may be so, but I do not know. I only see that many, many games are on sales at times, and that a spring sale started some days ago. Golf+ so far is not included, only a course pack of four courses for he price of three.

Just found: new golf course is out: Harbour Town Golf Links.

Old 03-21-24, 06:29 PM   #321
Skybird
Soaring

If you tell me what titles you are especially interested in, I can ring an alarm bell if I see something happening.

BTW, you must not buy courses in 'Golf+, but can lease them for one month or one year. I think a good way to go is to spend I think 6 Euros for one month of all-included abonement (additional to the game that must be bought anyway). Then you have one month to play on all courses as often as you want, check them out, and decide which ones you want to own beyond that month.

As I said you can also be guest in a session I host, we can do some games that way, but its 16 PGA tour courses now, and a dozen more or so will arrive during the rest of this year, so that is quite a lot.

Valhalla you can get for free if joining the golf+ club (for free), which also gives you access to excessive statistics pages of your career, and when you leave a brief customer feedback on the game'S appstore page, a day later you will get a note confirming that you now have received Valhalla for free. Its a private non-arena course (no stands, no audience) in a nice rural landscpae, I like playing there. Reminds a bit of Yale. Its only little hassle to get it, and free, so I would definetly take that chance to get it.

The three free courses Golf+ comes with, are fantasy courses only and nothing special, you may play them once or twice and then never again. Also, they are not representative for the visual quality of the later DLCs.
Old 03-22-24, 09:01 AM   #322
Skybird
Soaring

This one's for Neal...

Old 03-22-24, 05:38 PM   #323
Skybird
Soaring

The new Harbour Town course is again very beautifully recreated and - again - features its very own unique local atmosphere, I love it. And I celebrated it with my worst round ever played on Pro level, with a sickening 128 strokes.

I learned to smile again since then, but at the end of that round I was very angry with myself , and murderously frustrated. Really seriously frustrated. Just yesterday I did East Lake in 103. A difference.

There are three holes where long winding little rivers, water obstacles, lie hidden in the gras, waiting like snakes in ambush. And they bit, and several times. I wonder what sort of malicous character golf course designers must have. And why they cannot use spirit levels - some of the greens aorund the hills are as smooth like the cratered surface of the moon and feature ups and downs like a rollerocaster. Three times I manage to have the ball rolling off the green again, and with speed.

I have successfully corrected my terrible drive to the far right. At the cost of that now my drives go terribly far to the left. And not really that far as that they would impress the girls. Far from it. Usually the outcome is: I get the exact opposite of what I wanted to acchieve in effect.

My chipping leaves plenty to be desired, it goes long and rolls endlessly when it should go short, and when I need a sdhort chip I manage to send it across the whole green anbd make it rolling off the green on the other side. And the sandwegde, that thing and me hardly will beocme friends anytime soon. Don'T hit the ball, but hit into the sand before the ball, they say. Use the putter's grip for the hands, they say. Feet aroudn shoulders wide, they say. And plop, the ball flies 40 cm and goes inbto the sand again. I have managed to send it fiorm bunker to bunker, or sometimes out of the bunker - but with not less than three hops inside the same bunker first.

Its no good for the faint-hearted. This is a cruel, merciless sport. One needs to be a sick, deranged psycho like me to like it.

What a fantastic sim.
Old 03-22-24, 06:34 PM   #324
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
If you tell me what titles you are especially interested in, I can ring an alarm bell if I see something happening.

BTW, you must not buy courses in 'Golf+, but can lease them for one month or one year. I think a good way to go is to spend I think 6 Euros for one month of all-included abonement (additional to the game that must be bought anyway). Then you have one month to play on all courses as often as you want, check them out, and decide which ones you want to own beyond that month.

As I said you can also be guest in a session I host, we can do some games that way, but its 16 PGA tour courses now, and a dozen more or so will arrive during the rest of this year, so that is quite a lot.

Valhalla you can get for free if joining the golf+ club (for free), which also gives you access to excessive statistics pages of your career, and when you leave a brief customer feedback on the game'S appstore page, a day later you will get a note confirming that you now have received Valhalla for free. Its a private non-arena course (no stands, no audience) in a nice rural landscpae, I like playing there. Reminds a bit of Yale. Its only little hassle to get it, and free, so I would definetly take that chance to get it.

The three free courses Golf+ comes with, are fantasy courses only and nothing special, you may play them once or twice and then never again. Also, they are not representative for the visual quality of the later DLCs.
To start with I am going to buy 5 thing.

1. Quest 3
2. Chargeable batteries 3500 mAH or higher
3. This 100W power bank
4. This cable(who connect power bank with the headset)
5. This mask(when sweating)

Later, when I'm fine with it-meaning can use it for 30 to 60 min. without getting motion sickness I'm going to buy games and tools(Rackets, golf stuff etc)

Markus

Old 03-22-24, 07:09 PM   #325
Skybird
Soaring

Yes, but what software, I mean? You get youtube VR free, some other stuff, but none that will carry you over months and years. I assume you get Golf+ anyway - anything you set your eyes on beyond that?
Old 03-22-24, 07:19 PM   #326
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

I haven't been looking closely on what I would like to have in my game library. Only demands is:
Non-violent games.

I'm thinking golf+, tennis, table tennis, billiard and a game you showed us some years ago-Canoing(don't know if that's a game)

Markus

Old 03-22-24, 07:57 PM   #327
Skybird
Soaring

Mirage Kajak. Sorry, that is PC only. If your PC can handle the burden of running the game and also the headset, it works (I do it), but you said your system may not be able to handle VR headsets.

Tennis is First Person Tennis then.

Table Tennis is Eleven, yes, a must-have.

Billiards, you have the choice between Mixed Reality-including Miraclepool (which I would recommend), and Black Hole Pool. Miraclepool is currently still free, but will cost once it is out of Beta - probably also for older users who got it free. I will not criticise them if they do it this way.

May I also suggest Racket Club, and Wander if you want access to Google Streetview material.

Thrill of the Fight is the best workout title there is, I think. And its cheap. sequel is coming later this year - then with multiplayer.

BigScreen is free. My preferred choice to watch Youtube videos in a real movie hall. It can do more, but I dont use that.

I get Medieval Dynasty and C-Smash (a squash-breakout-style game) later these weeks, I leave a note on whether I think they are good.

I tell you when I see these titles you are interested in on a sale.
Old 03-23-24, 11:34 AM   #328
Skybird
Soaring

Looks awesome, an attachement simulating a tennis racket's and pickleball paddle's grip. Those I have seen so far where quite long, too long for my playing area, but this one keeps it short by turning the controller in the holder by 90°. Will get it, that is stuff made for me!

Last edited by Skybird; 03-23-24 at 11:43 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-24, 11:58 AM   #329
Skybird
Soaring

I am following this one. TBR later this year, I recall to have red Q3/Q4. The physics in it already now feel very different than thos ein Pickleball One. I never had a chance to try Pickleball in real life, so I have no clue which of the two is more realistic in its ball-versus-paddle-physics.

https://pball.pro/

-------------

I went through the process of completely recallibrating all golf clubs in Golf+. I spend the better part of two hours for that. But it was worth it, it seems I had somehiow messe dup the first round of doiung this months ago, and having messed up something. I now have much better range in my strikes, especially the first drive.

If you ever get into Golf+ yourself, pay attention to this callibration, they do not document it well (=not at all), and it is easy to miss. Which could cost you 50m in range when using the driver, as in my case. - Hah, finally I can reach out in full... Should help a bit to bring the handicap down - assuming I manage to aim better. LOL..

I more and more learn to like the "Battle" option in the game, too. It chooses randomly course and conditions and lets you play 3 randomly choosen holes against the recorded file of some other real player, because everything you do in Golf+, moves and statistics, gets recorded and stored in the cloud, some of it limited to 90 days. This way you play a pseudo-multiplayer short match against a "canned" human performance whose avatar and strokes you see on the court as well. If you win, you earn ingame-currency to personalise your equipment further.

Last edited by Skybird; 03-23-24 at 12:07 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-24, 12:16 PM   #330
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Forgot to add another game to my wishes.

Bowling. Don't know if it exist in the world of VR.

Markus