Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-12-06, 07:59 AM   #16
horsa
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 3

Thanks Don. excellent information as always

@HS
GNBNA arrived yesterday and all I can say is WOW. No wonder this is always spoken of lovingly. What a joy it is to get a really well set out and comprehensive manual. Why is it games publishers have bypassed this feature in recent years ? I suppose one reason is the trend to DVD size cases rather than the bulkier box sets. Wouldn't a return to an indespensible manual reduce ( but not remove ) the incidence of pirating ? As long as games come with electronic manuals and/or no need for manuals digital copying is too easy an option. Hackers always find their way past protection devices and can post up on the net but having to scan a manual and make avaiable would be so much more hassle.

Anyway that's a separate issue .... back to GNBNA . I've not had it installed yet but the manual gives me a very clear impression of what makes this game tick and what a well designed game it looks. I can easily see why simmers would want an updated version of this game. I would guess that means mainly the graphics ( and maybe the sound which I've not been able to sample yet) . The basic design seems very sound . I'll take your word for the dynamic campaign - but the fact that it has one and this is what everyone craves for must make this feature a winner.

Strange how Fighting Steel moved away from the FP action inside the ship. As far as I know no-one has really attempted this for a BB since the early nineties ( along with Jutland and maybe Task Force 1942 ?) All were DOS games , yes ? ..... Before my time as a PC gamer LOL.
horsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-06, 04:19 PM   #17
HS
Bosun

Downloads: 20
Uploads: 0

Quote:
What a joy it is to get a really well set out and comprehensive manual. Why is it games publishers have bypassed this feature in recent years ? I suppose one reason is the trend to DVD size cases rather than the bulkier box sets. Wouldn't a return to an indespensible manual reduce ( but not remove ) the incidence of pirating ? As long as games come with electronic manuals and/or no need for manuals digital copying is too easy an option. Hackers always find their way past protection devices and can post up on the net but having to scan a manual and make avaiable would be so much more hassle.
You are probably right. And yes, the manual is indeed another utstandig feature of the game.

Quote:
Anyway that's a separate issue .... back to GNBNA . I've not had it installed yet but the manual gives me a very clear impression of what makes this game tick and what a well designed game it looks. I can easily see why simmers would want an updated version of this game. I would guess that means mainly the graphics ( and maybe the sound which I've not been able to sample yet) . The basic design seems very sound . I'll take your word for the dynamic campaign - but the fact that it has one and this is what everyone craves for must make this feature a winner.
A modern graphic engine for this game would be to good to be true. The general game design however is hard to improve. As to sound: It cannot compete with modern wav.files etc. Since I have both versions of GNBNA (German version Burning Steel) – the older floppy disc version and the CDROM version 1.2 – I would like to add, that sound issues seem to be handled easier with the floppy disc version. With the CDROM version I’ve experienced sound stuttering problems from time to time, choosing the thunder board within the sound.exe file seems to be the best choice. Perhaps you will have other or even better results with other settings, anyway, I would be gratefule for every hint on that matter.

Quote:
Strange how Fighting Steel moved away from the FP action inside the ship. As far as I know no-one has really attempted this for a BB since the early nineties ( along with Jutland and maybe Task Force 1942 ?) All were DOS games , yes ? ..... Before my time as a PC gamer LOL.
Yes it’s really a market gap. Again, let me know if you have problems with the installation.
HS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-06, 03:57 PM   #18
horsa
Pacific Aces Dev Team

GNBNA installed successfully with DOSBOX but my machine is playing no sound at all. I've tried configuring from SOUND.exe but nothing seems to allow the PC to play the sound.
Old 01-14-06, 02:26 AM   #19
HS
Bosun

Have you checked the DOSBox FAQs? I'll try to send a longer reply tomorrow.
Old 01-15-06, 04:04 AM   #20
HS
Bosun

Horsa,

Do you use DOSBox?

Have you activated some relevant sound options in the DOSBox config file ?

Have you activated the sound option within the game itself?

Also check the gnbna site for relevant tipps on sound issues.

Since I use floppy disk and CDROM version of the game it seems to me that the CDROM is a bit more problematic when it comes to sound. After saving a game I have no sound from time to time when loading the saved game. What I do to get rid of this is to start playing with the gnbna sound.exe and the DOSBox config until the sound returns.

If nothing works enjoy the game without sound. It’s a strategic game after all and the game is still worth it.

Regards
HS
Old 01-15-06, 07:07 AM   #21
HS
Bosun

Sorry, "Do you use DOSBox?" was strictly speaking not necessary. Just checked the GNBNA site, there is lot of possibly helpful remarks under the technical help section.
Old 01-15-06, 12:02 PM   #22
horsa
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Just checked the site ( thanks) It seems the sound card I have is " almost impossible to congigure" ..... so that explains my problem . I loaded and tried on an old 98 machine and this ran the sound OK. At least there was some sort of synthetic music that came on before the machine curled up and died ( the resaon it was moithballed ) .. I never actually got to the gunnery bit .

So for the moment it looks my choices are no sound or no game.
Old 01-15-06, 07:09 PM   #23
turnerg
Bosun

Downloads: 37

Horsa, Imagine walking on the decks of the USS Texas, in real-time 3D, just like at the subclub meet....

Better yet......DREADNAUGHT (I know you'd love that!)

Personally, I'd love for DC2 not to be DC2, but Surface Command, maybe throw in an element of strategy, allowing you to command a whole task force, with carriers, so you can plan anti sub patrols, replenish at sea, do hunter/killer stuff... it could tie in perfect with SH3, so that the surface players could control a whole h/k group against the wolfpacks. wouldnt that be fun?

Then have massive BB on BB slugfests.....YES!!!! And I could paint ALL the ships with perfect, accurate patterns b/c hopefully there's NO MORE TILING IN THE TEXTURES!!!!!!!!
Old 01-16-06, 01:20 PM   #24
horsa
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Long time no see, soldier.

Doesn't all this seem a little .... well .... tame ...after you've sampled the real thing

Yep, nothing to compare with walking the decks of a real dreadnought ( even if it's not the original grandaddy of them all).
Next month I'm attending an international conference at the NMM in London on Dreadnought. Can you imagine ... talking about nothing except dreadnought for three days ....

I'm sure there's a surface combat sim in development somewhere and when it comes the textures must be a lot more user friendly .
Old 01-17-06, 03:05 PM   #25
HS
Bosun

Quote:
It seems the sound card I have is " almost impossible to congigure"
That seems a bit strange since DOSBox seems to simulate old sound cards (see config file where Adlib and others are mentioned. :hmm: I’m using Creative Sound Blaster PCI 128 (bought in 2001) without serious sound problems.
Old 03-30-06, 04:23 AM   #26
Dargo
Admiral

Downloads: 21

pretty vacant bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu
A victorious Destroyer is like a ton against an ounce.
Dargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-06, 04:11 PM   #27
roverdog
Swabbie

Downloads: 4

BUMP
I want Destroyer Commander 2!

You know the game is dead out when the stickys disappear!
roverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-06, 04:54 PM   #28
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Destroyer Command 2 sounds good me.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-06, 05:31 PM   #29
Malefactor
Loader

Downloads: 7

I'll gladly bump this thread.Although,I'm not entirely convinced UBI will actually do a DC2.
Malefactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-06, 02:25 PM   #30
turnerg
Bosun

Downloads: 37

Oh they will. Or else....

I've wondered with sh3 if i could get an S-boat to work the same way as in sh2....

Time to Frankenstein my SH3!!!!