SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-15-22, 04:20 PM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Origin of the Black Death pandemic finally found?

It killed around half of Europe's medieval population in just 7 years.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/06/15/h...scn/index.html
Old 06-15-22, 09:52 PM   #2
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

This was a fascinating read. With modern anti biotics and innoculations, we are able to effectively combat bacterial and viral infections. In the medieval period, they had none of these things nor even knew or understood what was killing them.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-22, 04:49 AM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

The magic of (uncorrupted) science!
Old 06-16-22, 08:35 AM   #4
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
This was a fascinating read. With modern anti biotics and innoculations, we are able to effectively combat bacterial and viral infections. In the medieval period, they had none of these things nor even knew or understood what was killing them.
Precisely

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-22, 09:40 AM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Precisely
except when misdiagnosed as pneumonia; as befell a Tahoe camper friend of mine who died of Bubonic plague which is active in California. A epidemic killed 119 in the early 1900's in SF's Chinatown; and the bacteria is known to be in Sierra ground squirrels and Tahoe chipmunks. A decade (or longer) ago, I recollect a hunter who skinned a bobcat that feeds on such critters also died in California from the plague.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-22, 10:09 AM   #6
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

The joys of hunting one might say

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-22, 09:44 PM   #7
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

I remember the Army warning us about ground squirrels carrying the plague while we were on field exercises at Fort Irwin. It wasn't until my second hitch that I got the plague vaccine.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-22, 10:27 PM   #8
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
except when misdiagnosed as pneumonia; as befell a Tahoe camper friend of mine who died of Bubonic plague which is active in California. A epidemic killed 119 in the early 1900's in SF's Chinatown; and the bacteria is known to be in Sierra ground squirrels and Tahoe chipmunks. A decade (or longer) ago, I recollect a hunter who skinned a bobcat that feeds on such critters also died in California from the plague.
Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
I remember the Army warning us about ground squirrels carrying the plague while we were on field exercises at Fort Irwin. It wasn't until my second hitch that I got the plague vaccine.
You know. I didn't want to say anything but if consorting with squirrels and or Squirrely people can be dangerous, perhaps we should do something about it. I mean, do we know anyone here in Subsim that plays with squirrels or even has a squirrelly name ? Slowly turns and looks suspiciously at Eichornchen.

Run Eichornchen, run for your life.
Old 06-17-22, 03:27 AM   #9
Skybird
Soaring

It depends on the squirrel species - there are around 40 of them. Sciurus Vulgaris is free of plage virusses (european red sq.). Sciurus Virginensis (big grey american sq.) carries squirrel pox virusses, but that kills european reds and is not the human plague virus.
Old 06-17-22, 05:55 PM   #10
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post

Crazy but true story. I lost my uncle (by marriage) to Black Death. He was skinning a jackrabbit and he had a cut (open) or a scratch on his hand. The rabbit blood got into his wound. He got sick fairly fast and the worst part was, the doctor misdiagnosed it. (because it's not something one sees everyday as a doctor). He was here one day, gone the next. This was along time ago, back in the late 1970s. Nasty way to go.
Old 06-17-22, 05:58 PM   #11
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
You know. I didn't want to say anything but if consorting with squirrels and or Squirrely people can be dangerous, perhaps we should do something about it. I mean, do we know anyone here in Subsim that plays with squirrels or even has a squirrelly name ? Slowly turns and looks suspiciously at Eichornchen.

Run Eichornchen, run for your life.

Just wear a mask and watch out for Dr. Science (Fauci).

Thread hijack aside, it's common among rodents. Handle your dead chipmunks with care!
Old 06-17-22, 06:04 PM   #12
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Quote:

D'oh, just read this! Ditto, my Uncle.

I guess I should read stuff first, then post, then proof read, then re-post.

My Uncle was from AZ, where it happened. A Western US thing? (Plague in rodents)

Plus, everytime I triple post, a Dowly gets his ferret snacks.
Old 06-17-22, 08:01 PM   #13
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee View Post
D'oh, just read this! Ditto, my Uncle.

I guess I should read stuff first, then post, then proof read, then re-post.

My Uncle was from AZ, where it happened. A Western US thing? (Plague in rodents)

Plus, everytime I triple post, a Dowly gets his ferret snacks.
https://www.cdc.gov/plague/maps/index.html My brother and my brother in law like to camp in the mountains where this is a concern... and then there's hantavirus where the fatality rate is 35% and 95% of the cases are in the Western United States. It is caused by the Sin Nombre virus, one of a family of viruses that is found worldwide. It can be transmitted by infected rodents through urine, droppings, or saliva.

https://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/HantaviruscaseView/index.html

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-22, 08:10 PM   #14
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee View Post
Just wear a mask and watch out for Dr. Science (Fauci).

Thread hijack aside, it's common among rodents. Handle your dead chipmunks with care!

In all seriousness, I thought this was very much a thing of the past. Further, I had no idea rodents, rabbits and the like were that dangerous.

Quote:
https://www.cdc.gov/plague/maps/index.html My brother and my brother in law like to camp in the mountains where this is a concern... and then there's hantavirus where the fatality rate is 35% and 95% of the cases are in the Western United States. It is caused by the Sin Nombre virus, one of a family of viruses that is found worldwide. It can be transmitted by infected rodents through urine, droppings, or saliva.
https://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/HantaviruscaseView/index.html
I had seen an episode of Ice Road Truckers where the one driver became sick while on the road. It was discovered his truck had had a mice infestation and the driver was treated for Hantavirus. The driver ended up in the hospital.
Old 06-17-22, 08:29 PM   #15
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

It is thought one of the reasons why the Indo-European Yamanya culture was so successful was because of the Black Plague. They brought it with them as they moved west towards what we now call Europe however they were, how shall we say, a more robust group of people.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 06-17-22 at 09:45 PM.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote