SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Comments to SUBSIM Review
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-09-17, 06:11 PM   #1
gst90
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0
Default New SHIII player here - Wow this game is awesome.

It's early 1940 and I'm prowling the waters west of Scotland. I'm no grizzled sea-wolf, I'm a new Kaleun getting to grips with his boat, playing with switches and hoping my crew don't see how hopelessly green I am. I'm eager though, and I know enough (or perhaps got lucky enough) to have left a few British merchant ships on the sea floor somewhere off the Irish coast behind me...

I check my log: 6000 tones of shipping sunk. I'm approaching my first month into this patrol and the tonnage in my captain's log is frustratingly light. "Verdammt!" I've a bow full of torpedoes, a taste for blood and not a single decent target for the past two and a half weeks. I can't return to home port like this. I plot a course North-East, perhaps I'll catch some big tonnage coming down from Iceland...

...Kriegsschiff gesichtet!...

I'm shaken from my daze at 1800 hours. Warship? My Watch-Officer continues his report: 48 degrees off starboard, and... closing...! I scramble up to the bridge (or at least press the appropriate hotkey ) grab my binoculars and look. Verdammt! Destroyer! It's creeping out from behind an isle with an ominous, almost deliberate lethargy. I swallow a dry throat and look again. There's fog on the water and the sun is low on the horizon. Wait... has he seen me yet? I resist the urge to call a crash-dive and instead tell my navigator to bring us to periscope depth... moments later my u-boat has slipped under the waves.
"Rig for silent running, all ahead slow." Actually to hell with that, "Alle maschinen stopp!"
I bring up the periscope and take a look -- It looks modern, not some Great War hand-me-down. I don't want to tangle with it. I'm in shallow waters and I've not much room to maneuver... We'll just sit right here nice and quiet and let it pass by...

I scan the horizon, something cold drops in my stomach as another Destroyer emerges from behind the isle with the same malice as the last. Never before in any game I have played have I felt such a harsh transition from being the hunter, to becoming the hunted. I was totally immersed, my mouth had dried up, and my palms were sweating. I felt like a terrified mouse caught between his hole (the deeper and open waters of the North Atlantic), and a couple of skulking cats in the form of swift attack ships.

But these cats hadn't noticed me... and this mouse had teeth, 280kg of hexanite explosive teeth...
Something down-right idiotic, suicidal even, slipped into my brain: 2 Destroyers would look good in that log-book...
The angle was perfect... Every sane nerve in my body repulsed as I opened the TDC and began frantically working out a shooting solution.
I loved life. I loved my boat. I'd grown attached to my avatar: Kapitänleutnant 'Eric Schöne'.

I realised though, as I finished my solution, that I love Iron-Crosses as well...

I lined up the periscope to the leading ship, he was further away and would give my second eel a chance to hit the one following before they could start evasives... Tube 1... LOS! Whatever chance for a subtle approach left with that torpedo. It was time to double down then! Tube 2... LOS! Aale sind im Wasser!

I turn hard starboard, staying in silent running and began on my egress route, I've got something like 30 seconds to get as much distance between me and the DDs as possible... suddenly the recklessness of my plan hits home... I need two dead Destroyers or...

Everything is quiet, only the gentle purr of my boat's electric motors can be heard over the silence. I check my chronometer: 40+ seconds... still silence... not a good sound. It doesn't take me much longer to figure out I've missed.

"Dumkopff!" My mind is trying to pull any and all excuses as to how my torpedoes missed: Duds? Deep-runners? My own hasty calculations? I don't get time to come to a conclusion... Suddenly my hydrophone operator blurts out in hushed urgency: Kriegsschiff, moving fast... Closing!

The silence is cut once again by that ever famous bane of submariners:

...PING...

"Mein Gott..." I've killed us all.

---

Just want to say thanks to the Sub-sim community. I've browsed around here for a few days now grabbing mods and indirectly grabbing advice for getting said mods to work. I never thought I could have so much fun playing a game this old! But my-my with the right stuff this game looks pretty damn good. I've never been so genuinely terrified on a game before.

Taking on the roll of a sub Kaleun has given me a new respect for the men who fought in the Naval campaigns of WWII -- It's a theatre I'd never really explored before now (I'd always stuck to the land warfare aspect of WWII) -- I can only imagine the bravery required of the men who fought in that campaign. My gratitude goes out to the allied sailors who fought to keep my country safe, and my respects go out to all.

I feel I've just discovered a new gaming addiction.

Thanks for that by the way!
gst90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-17, 07:26 PM   #2
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

Welcome Aboard! I agree, it does get to you.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-17, 04:56 AM   #3
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

Default Welcome To SUBSIM!

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-17, 05:09 AM   #4
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-17, 01:05 AM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard firsttime poster!

gst90!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-17, 07:26 AM   #6
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Welcome to Subsim gst90. Nice Introduction as well. You should be writing professionally if you're not already as you could make letting the dog out sound like an adventure.

Enjoy your time here and welcome aboard.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote