SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-15-13, 08:50 AM   #76
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
I tried this and looks like it's the same in both cases(with dummy bone or 3d object)...Actually, CTD will happen only after game is saved-reloaded, before that, if you click on UZO, camera will go crazy and it's difficult to return to captain view, sometimes movements are disabled also.
I think I've experienced something similar when I tried to equip my boat with a Flak gun which was discarded by the devs: whenever I moved near it (without actually clicking on it), many water drops appeared on screen, background audio changed to underwater sound loop, and the game sort of freezed. Nonetheless the clock kept showing time going on, and I could still move the mouse. IIRC, pressing ESC was enough to get back to the regular camera.

This leads me to the next question: is this happening also with destroyed guns? It should, because they got a camera controller in cameras.GR2
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-13, 09:00 AM   #77
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
This leads me to the next question: is this happening also with destroyed guns? It should, because they got a camera controller in cameras.GR2
Negative, guns are just fine, they are set to destructible=No and only movement and ability to shoot is restricted until they are repaired...As it should be, althougt, it looks like guns can not be destroyed and they are always repaired, maybe if i set destructible-yes, but i'm afraid then i'll have similar camera problems...I'll test that later...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-13, 09:29 AM   #78
vdr1981
Navy Seal

heh, it's fine actually... Deck gun is removed from the game, it can't be maned and you can't take the control of the deck gun... Yet, crew will stay frozen if deck gun is destroyed while engaging, probably until next reload or dive maybe...
Old 09-15-13, 10:13 AM   #79
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Negative, guns are just fine, they are set to destructible=No and only movement and ability to shoot is restricted until they are repaired...
Sounds good, their wpn_Cannon controller is disabled, as expected

Out of curiosity: what happens when gun damage is intermediate? Do they malfunction, or they stop working suddenly?

Quote:
As it should be, althougt, it looks like guns can not be destroyed and they are always repaired
A trick for making not destructible items unreparable when their HP's get close to 0, is setting the repair_skill of the last damage range relative to those equipments (upc file), bigger than max skill level. i.e. bigger than 1

Quote:
heh, it's fine actually... Deck gun is removed from the game, it can't be maned and you can't take the control of the deck gun... Yet, crew will stay frozen if deck gun is destroyed while engaging, probably until next reload or dive maybe...
So you have set it to destructible? Game is not freezing when you click on it?
Old 09-15-13, 10:58 AM   #80
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Sounds good, their wpn_Cannon controller is disabled, as expected

Out of curiosity: what happens when gun damage is intermediate? Do they malfunction, or they stop working suddenly?
They jam in all axis, and shooting is prohibited...

Quote:
So you have set it to destructible? Game is not freezing when you click on it?
Nope, you cant click on them, there are no klick spots and UI shortcut is grayed... it's little bit stupid to see deck without gun though, but we can assume that crew just throw unusable peace of equipment to sea...
Old 09-15-13, 11:26 AM   #81
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Also gap, could you explain me a bit relations between HP values in various upc files and those from zone.cfg file? For example , i have in NSS_Uboat7b.upcge 100HP for command room compartment and in zone.cfg 50HP, What does this mean.Do i need to set them to same value? DOes thiss effect repair speeds and redings in the ingame damage many?
Old 09-15-13, 11:30 AM   #82
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
They jam in all axis, and shooting is prohibited...
So, unlike propellers, engines, rudders, etc, guns don't malfunction, they are either operative or broken. Am I correct?

Quote:
Nope, you cant click on them, there are no klick spots and UI shortcut is grayed...
Now to understand why destroyed guns' selection is disabled, but not so for the UZO

Quote:
it's little bit stupid to see deck without gun though, but we can assume that crew just throw unusable peace of equipment to sea...
Why don't you set deck guns and heavy Flaks to undestructible? Seems more logic.
Old 09-15-13, 11:38 AM   #83
vdr1981
Navy Seal

1. Correct!

3. Then damage wont be saved after reload , looks like guns can be repaired even when they reach 0HP...Repair skill is by default set to 2, digit before the last one, right?
Old 09-15-13, 11:54 AM   #84
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Also gap, could you explain me a bit relations between HP values in various upc files and those from zone.cfg file? For example , i have in NSS_Uboat7b.upcge 100HP for command room compartment and in zone.cfg 50HP, What does this mean.Do i need to set them to same value?
No idea here. SH5 files are full of unused settings, leftovers from SHIV and even from SHIII. Not saying that this is necessarily the case though. Try setting them to the same value.

By the way: 7b command room's HP setting is 200HP for me (stock file). Have you enabled any mod wich changes NSS_Uboat7b.upcge? If so, you could ask the author of the mod on why he changed that setting...

Quote:
DOes thiss effect repair speeds and redings in the ingame damage many?
For any given equipment/room, repair times (in hours) are set in the last column of each DamageDescription row, where the second and the third column specify the damage range as a percent of the HP set for that equipment/room (1 = full HPs).
Old 09-15-13, 12:25 PM   #85
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
3. Then damage wont be saved after reload , looks like guns can be repaired even when they reach 0HP...
Okay, then you could experiment with the ObjectRemains controller for filling the empty space left on deck by destroyed guns.

When an object is set to destructible, this controller can be set to replace the removed object with another one. In the past I have messed a bit with it, but with no success. See this post and following for further detail.

For testing purposes, you could assign the controller to the deckgun, making it to point to a totally different object. If you will manage to get the controller working, I will prepare dummy copies of the guns (meshes without controllers).

Alternatively you could follow my previous suggestion, and you could use two different boxes for each gun: one for the main model, set to undestructible, and one for the barrel, set to destructible. When barrel's or gun base's HPs will reach 0, the barrel will be removed (hopefully causing a permanent damage), but not the mount

Quote:
Repair skill is by default set to 2, digit before the last one, right?
yes, second from the last
Old 09-15-13, 05:01 PM   #86
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Okay, then you could experiment with the ObjectRemains controller for filling the empty space left on deck by destroyed guns.
That sounds awesome Gap! I'll do some experimenting in folowing days...

Well, first version is ready to leave dry dock... Check first post and... Heil und sieg und fette beute...

Last edited by vdr1981; 09-15-13 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-16-13, 02:20 AM   #87
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
Now if you want to get really fancy play with the ObjectRemains controller This barely used, if any, controller replaces the original object with a new object when the item is destroyed (HPs are 0). You can find this controller in Goblin under SHCollisions
Huh, this sounds soo cool...
Gap, if this works can i count on you to create some low poly models for other equipment too?
Old 09-16-13, 03:46 AM   #88
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Huh, this sounds soo cool...
Gap, if this works can i count on you to create some low poly models for other equipment too?
sure, dented, burnt-out dummy equipments.

I have a little problem getting meshes in the correct format for import in GR2 Editor. It seems that in its current status, TDW's importer can only accept obj files exported from 3ds, and I have not it. I am currently looking for a way to process files exported from other applications, but in the meanwhile we can ask Targor for help
Old 09-16-13, 03:47 AM   #89
tonschk
Admiral

Downloads: 172
Uploads: 0

Quote:

Well, first version is ready to leave dry dock... Check first post and... Heil und sieg und fette beute...

tonschk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-13, 03:57 AM   #90
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
at first I didn't notice it

Well done Vecko!