SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-28-20, 01:26 PM   #571
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH4K View Post
I experimented. The Conning Tower interior remains empty, regardless of how I position crew in the manning diagram. Doing so (or not doing so) seems to have no effect on boat operations. Curious.
this is where things get murky.
in an American boat, there are four positions in the Conning tower. the fourth one is the helmsman.
in a German boat there are two positions in the sensor room and two in the conning tower.
if i were in a testing mood, i would add two additional positions in the conning tower and make sure that i manned them.
then see if you get additional bodies.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-20, 05:16 PM   #572
WH4K
Frogman

Downloads: 56
Uploads: 0

That is one big difference yes. In a US fleet boat, there is a set of helm controls in the conning tower. Only repeaters (rudder angle, engine rpms, and so on) in the Type IX conning tower, no controls, except of course for the TDC and firing controls.

Related question: where exactly is the Observation periscope? Both Attack and Obs periscopes are used from within the conning tower on US fleet boats (or at least the Gato and Tench, can't speak to S-boats). I see the shaft for the Obs periscope go through the conning tower and control room on the Type IX, but where did one stand to use it?

Also: I just got assigned to go take photos of the US sub base at Freemantle. The orders are in French. Uhh...what?

It's going to be close, range-wise, even cruising at Ahead Slow.

Last edited by WH4K; 06-28-20 at 05:31 PM.
WH4K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-20, 06:05 PM   #573
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Also: I just got assigned to go take photos of the US sub base at Freemantle. The orders are in French. Uhh...what?
can you yell: FIFI....really loud?

LAA enabled
Old 06-29-20, 12:46 AM   #574
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 456

Quote:
That is one big difference yes. In a US fleet boat, there is a set of helm controls in the conning tower. Only repeaters (rudder angle, engine rpms, and so on) in the Type IX conning tower, no controls, except of course for the TDC and firing controls.

Related question: where exactly is the Observation periscope? Both Attack and Obs periscopes are used from within the conning tower on US fleet boats (or at least the Gato and Tench, can't speak to S-boats). I see the shaft for the Obs periscope go through the conning tower and control room on the Type IX, but where did one stand to use it?

It's going to be close, range-wise, even cruising at Ahead Slow.
Here is a fix made by Fritz Klum for Dark Waters messages in French:
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=5620

Fifi is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-20, 07:30 PM   #575
WH4K
Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
Here is a fix made by Fritz Klum for Dark Waters messages in French:
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=5620
Do you have to start a new career after applying this?

I applied it, and while it fixed the French radio messages on my patrol, I just got a set of orders for a new patrol...in French.

Also, they want me to go photograph Fremantle again.

Guess this career is broken and I'll have to start over. Ugh.
Old 07-03-20, 09:38 AM   #576
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Do you have to start a new career after applying this?

I applied it, and while it fixed the French radio messages on my patrol, I just got a set of orders for a new patrol...in French.

Also, they want me to go photograph Fremantle again.

Guess this career is broken and I'll have to start over. Ugh.
your career is not necessarily broken.
receiving "messages" in French is entirely different from receiving "orders" in French.
"messages" are various text files stored in various folders and delivered via "message board" aka radio when appropriate.
"orders" are voice files recorded and stored in the Sound folder.
these two methods are independent of each other.
it is a massive undertaking to coordinate all of the various "communications" into a language that is not native to the application. the list of files includes but is not limited to:
  • graphical user interface
  • mission, patrol, career text files
  • voice orders
  • mission order files
  • mission message files
  • mission command files
  • music files (for those who have the time to listen to the radio)

it is a monumental undertaking to make a coordinated conversion of an app from one language to another.
i, myself, being an arrogant American, had to learn a bit of German to play OpMonsun/Dark Waters. {gasp}
imagine the anxiety attached to that!(sarcasm)

let's remember we are playing a game designed and built for an entirely different operating environment many years ago.
sometimes, playing it has its challenges. let us be thankful we have something other than Fox News/CNN to occupy our free time.

LAA enabled
Old 07-03-20, 10:30 AM   #577
WH4K
Frogman

No, I mean the career is broken because I got the exact same assignment twice in a row. Not the language thing - that's what the patch is supposed to fix, yes?

Maybe I wasn't clear: it would be "normal" if the orders were in German, but mine were in French.

I snuck back through the Suez Canal after my earlier visit to Australia. Do not recommend. Very unfriendly people at both ends!

Is this business of dispatching Lorient-based boats halfway around the world intentional? I would rather have started from Penang, but haven't been allowed to transfer from when I started in 1939.
Old 07-03-20, 11:01 AM   #578
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
No, I mean the career is broken because I got the exact same assignment twice in a row. Not the language thing - that's what the patch is supposed to fix, yes?

Maybe I wasn't clear: it would be "normal" if the orders were in German, but mine were in French.

I snuck back through the Suez Canal after my earlier visit to Australia. Do not recommend. Very unfriendly people at both ends!

Is this business of dispatching Lorient-based boats halfway around the world intentional? I would rather have started from Penang, but haven't been allowed to transfer from when I started in 1939.
yeah....about that....i remember encountering that feature during DW testing but, as that was not the focus on my testing, i lost track of the result.
i know that after Aug/Sep 1944 all of the French Flots are either disbanded or regrouped in Germany OR sent to the Far east. but that would be an assignment not a one-time mission.
my advice is that DW is designed for Atlantic play so select a career-Uboat choice that is not connected with the Penang-Singapore-Djarkarta flotillas.
i could swear that there was a documentation file that was included in DW that showed the availability of Uboats by date and by base. that would be helpful for your situation.

LAA enabled
Old 07-03-20, 11:17 AM   #579
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
i found this in the D/L section. i thought there was a similar piece with DW but i guess not. it is probably pretty close to what is in DW.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloa...o=file&id=5469

LAA enabled
Old 07-04-20, 02:58 PM   #580
WH4K
Frogman

I've been assigned new boats twice in a row now.

When I got back from my first trip to Australia, I was offered a new Type IX, a IXB - the one with two flak guns. It still won't keep you from getting sunk, but at least you take the airplane with you. :/

I went ahead and did another trip to Australia. On return, I was offered a new boat. Again. Hmm. OK, says I.

I got a Type XXIII. I was assigned to patrol in the middle of the Atlantic.

Thing is, a Type XXIII doesn't have sufficient range for Atlantic patrols. It's a coastal boat at best. I know - I tried anyway, and ran out of fuel short of the patrol area.
Old 07-04-20, 08:08 PM   #581
HK_01
Swabbie

Downloads: 20

Quote:
I've been assigned new boats twice in a row now.

When I got back from my first trip to Australia, I was offered a new Type IX, a IXB - the one with two flak guns. It still won't keep you from getting sunk, but at least you take the airplane with you. :/

I went ahead and did another trip to Australia. On return, I was offered a new boat. Again. Hmm. OK, says I.

I got a Type XXIII. I was assigned to patrol in the middle of the Atlantic.

Thing is, a Type XXIII doesn't have sufficient range for Atlantic patrols. It's a coastal boat at best. I know - I tried anyway, and ran out of fuel short of the patrol area.

That's interesting. I was under the impression that you weren't supposed to be offered any new boats in DW.
HK_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-20, 10:22 PM   #582
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The Types XVIII (not active), XXI & XXIII are all UpgradeClass=2. All others are UpgradeClass=1. I do not know how there would be an "upgrade" to a new Type IX, except by a new turm "re-fit"... so it was probably a re-fit, not an upgrade to a new boat. Some of the re-fits do function correctly.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-20, 01:53 PM   #583
Viktoria
Watch

Downloads: 98

I kind of found an explanation for a few of the torpedos bugs however i dodnt know how to fic them.

so the g7aT1 (sw36) works fine
the g7aT1 (sw39) doesnt it shows the falke model and has no wake etc.

so i found out the SW stands for the explosive used in the torpedo SW39 beeing more potent and thats the difference of the 2(which i didnt initially found)
still no clue why the torpedo mod only works for the g7at1 sw36 but the other one is still wierdly broken....
Viktoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-20, 02:31 PM   #584
HK_01
Swabbie

Downloads: 20
Default Brest harbor

So on a whim I decided to go into Brest, to see if maybe I could bag myself a French warship before France is knocked out of the war. I know the main fleet was in Mers el-Kebir, but hey, who knows, maybe there's a Richelieu or a Jean Bart/Courbet-class BB there anyway. It's May 14th, so the Battle of France has just begun, yet the only ships I found in Brest harbor were two German destroyers. I know the mod is no longer being worked on, but I thought I'd report this anyway. Also, something funky is going on in Brest harbor. There's basically nothing going on but it completely tanks the framerate of the game.
HK_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-20, 04:42 PM   #585
WH4K
Frogman

No, I definitely got a new boat. Started the war with U-37. When I upgraded to a Type IXB it was U-150.