SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-21-14, 12:57 PM   #2191
Serge65
A-ganger

Downloads: 59
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
Yes I did and I made the change in IRAI 41. This 'fix' makes absolutely no sense. Setting the false to true just says that the unit will now zig-zag instead of going in a straight line. I don't see how this fixes anything other than making the unit zig-zag. I'm fairly certain it was just coincidence that this change fixed any problem.
Not sure! This 'fix' solves the possibility of resupply without ramming and chase. I do not argue, maybe, there is also other decision. It was simple the first which has arrived in me mind, and it leads to result.

Last edited by Serge65; 02-23-14 at 11:05 AM.
Serge65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-14, 11:50 AM   #2192
Serge65
A-ganger

Downloads: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge65 View Post
It's not in the AI scripts. In the decompiled files SHSim.act (SH4) and SHim.act (SH5) there is a difference in the controllers cmdr_AICostal Defense.
Quote:
Land-to-sea and land-to-air: the controller for the land units is totally fubar. I can get them to track targets but they will not fire (or rotate their guns if they have them). I suspect it's because there are no .aix files for them. But the exe doesn't define any commands or an .aix file for them! Like I said totally fubar

Air-to-air: the exe forbids any air to air combat. It won't let air units track another air unit. This can be changed though
And yet, I was right when he said that the problem in SHSim.act. I studied in the old days assembler for 8-bit processors, programmed ROM, and I had a table of codes. Now I do not want to reinvent the wheel if TDW already invented it.
Serge65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-14, 02:36 PM   #2193
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge65 View Post
And yet, I was right when he said that the problem in SHSim.act. I studied in the old days assembler for 8-bit processors, programmed ROM, and I had a table of codes. Now I do not want to reinvent the wheel if TDW already invented it.
There is a patch available so that air units can engage other air units. The 400 series of units will not able to able to ever fire guns due to too many pointers missing and their cmdr_ controller was not coded to fire weapons (missing AI routines).
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-14, 05:48 PM   #2194
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
The 400 series of units will not able to able to ever fire guns due to too many pointers missing and their cmdr_ controller was not coded to fire weapons (missing AI routines).
TDW, as I have already asked before, could you at least make coastal guns and other land units collisionable and detectable by other AI units? Ship and planes currently ignore them (tested before the release of your last patch). I see some interesting applications in making them susceptible to enemy attacks, even though they obviously wouldn't be able to return fire
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-14, 03:36 PM   #2195
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
The AI is too accurate at long distances with there guns...
All I know on the topic is written down here.

In the past I have looked into AI scripts, but I couldn't find anything dealing with gun accuracy. I wonder how AI unit's veterancy comes into the picture.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-14, 11:45 AM   #2196
GaetVa
Watch

Downloads: 82

Hello TDW,

I just want to ask you if you make some tests
about having AI vs AI combat when AI ships are a range greater that the
render range from sub player. (we spoke about that in the IRAI topic some weeks ago). Is it the render range from player subs which said that combat will occur ?

If yes, is there an easy way to modify this render range ?

Thanks a lot for your answer !
GaetVa
GaetVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-14, 10:36 PM   #2197
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaetVa View Post
Hello TDW,

I just want to ask you if you make some tests
about having AI vs AI combat when AI ships are a range greater that the
render range from sub player. (we spoke about that in the IRAI topic some weeks ago). Is it the render range from player subs which said that combat will occur ?

If yes, is there an easy way to modify this render range ?

Thanks a lot for your answer !
GaetVa
See here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...postcount=3070
Old 03-26-14, 04:30 AM   #2198
GaetVa
Watch

Incredible TDW !!!!

Going to test this evening !!!

:u p:

Really, thanks a lot !!!!!
Old 03-26-14, 08:48 PM   #2199
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Going to test this evening !!!
What was the result of your testing? What did you have the additional render distance set to?
Old 03-27-14, 03:55 AM   #2200
GaetVa
Watch

Hello TDW,

In fact i teste d it in the mission you provide with wolfpacks.

But seems i did something wrong :

I put a very large value in the code14 entry in the patch file.
(i put 99 on the value you put replacing the 2 first zero value, as
i don't know how to convert a decimal value into DWORD value. Search on google but nothing really speaking about a possible conversion...)

my sub was at a distance of several thousands kilometers
(to know if something happens between the AI subs and the merchants
i added some triggers sending radio message when a ship of a particular class is sunk. but nothing appears).

Perhaps there is a limit of maximum render distance you can't go through ? or perhaps the value i put is not good ?

other try i did is to join to the AI submarine and tried with next unit camera every 10 mn to see if the camera go on this AI units with the distance from them decreasing (but not finished my tests,i think i was at a distance of 1000 kilometers or above
when i finished yesterday).

GaetVa
Old 03-27-14, 05:28 AM   #2201
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Hello TDW,

In fact i teste d it in the mission you provide with wolfpacks.

But seems i did something wrong :

I put a very large value in the code14 entry in the patch file.
(i put 99 on the value you put replacing the 2 first zero value, as
i don't know how to convert a decimal value into DWORD value. Search on google but nothing really speaking about a possible conversion...)
Use this handy little app for converting a 32 bit float to hex: http://www.mediafire.com/download/jg...oatConvert.zip

The hex value you get from this you have to reverse in the patch file. i.e.: 50000.0 to hex is 47435000 but you have to enter it into the patch file as 00504347

As far as trying to use the camera buttons for ranges > 35000.0m from player's unit those won't work. I haven't figured out why yet. You have to go to external cam and move the camera to what you want to see for those large distances.
Old 03-27-14, 05:39 AM   #2202
GaetVa
Watch

Ok TDW, understood !!

Trying this evening !!

Thanks again
Old 03-28-14, 05:35 AM   #2203
GaetVa
Watch

Hello TDW

So tried it in the wolfpacks scenarios (with a range of 999 km in sh5.exe, and a AI ships and subs from a range of 900 km of my sub) : work like a charm

I tried range at about 4000 km and above, seems there is a limitation
of maximum range, as i can't make them work at this distance (perhaps more than 1000 km as i didn't tried this range)

I understood anyway that this kind of range can't be used in a campaign !
(or you need to remove at least all port traffic !)
Old 03-28-14, 06:47 AM   #2204
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Hello TDW

So tried it in the wolfpacks scenarios (with a range of 999 km in sh5.exe, and a AI ships and subs from a range of 900 km of my sub) : work like a charm

I tried range at about 4000 km and above, seems there is a limitation
of maximum range, as i can't make them work at this distance (perhaps more than 1000 km as i didn't tried this range)

I understood anyway that this kind of range can't be used in a campaign !
(or you need to remove at least all port traffic !)
That is excellent news! What were your FPS (Shift+F8) values with the different additional rendering distances? What were all the values you tried for the additional rendering distances? Did you try these additional rendering distances just in single missions or in campaigns also?

I'm working on changing the whole mechanics of the game currently. I'm working on making every unit in the game an active unit instead of the way I described how the game currently does it. Basically what I'm doing is getting rid of this radius from player's sub limitation. This will make the campaign a truly dynamic one as everything is interacting/reacting to everything else at every moment in time
Old 03-28-14, 07:25 AM   #2205
GaetVa
Watch

TDW,

I didn't verify fps, but i had no lag. but the test i did was in a scenario
with few units (the one you added concerning wolfpacks with addition of some AI subs, so perhaps 15-20 ships)

i have just made a try before sleeping with the campaign, but was unplayable with this range (1000 km). i tried on Open horizons campaign (happy days).

Note that i play on a 2012 laptop (not a bad graphical card) with graphics option at maximum (i used the wolfes megapatch) and even without the render patch, i am at about 12 fps when in port (but not really a problem for me). After that, i am usually at 20-25 fps (which is ok for me).

Concerning other rendered distances i tried in scenario 10 000 km, and after 4000 km (but nothing happens). I will make a try with 3000 km, 2000 km and 1000 km until i can have something happening.
(in fact the try i did which is running fine is not 1000 km but 999 999 meters and this is running fine). I will try 1000 km if 3000 and 2000 km are not running as perhaps it could be a limitation less than 1000 km ?

If you can do what you are speaking about rid of this radius from the player sub, it will be like no more like this , no in fact !!

But anyway many thanks for the great job you already it !!

Even if for now for campaign will be hard to have a big range, already for scenarios, it becomes really interresting to do some really historical scenarios (i am thinking for instance of scenarios for artic convoys, like PQ17 with planes attacking first following by sub attacks, and even later with german ships attacking like Tirpitz and Admiral Hipper). With this render patch, this kind of things becomes possible.