SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-21-09, 02:48 PM   #16
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Like I said, less than ideal. It sets the affinity to all cores, just like you can do manually.

DVD: http://www.sony-optiarc.com/products...rw/ad7240.html
Sony Optiarc AD7240s
Latest and greatest multi-DVD writer, no lightscribe or other labeling tech: 20,- euros

HD: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=394
Blue series, general desktop model. 640GB: 56,- euros

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=551
Black series, high performance. 640 GB: 63,- euros

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-09, 03:08 PM   #17
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Building a new computer right now is a bad move, especially if you're going the Intel route. By September Intel will present the new Lynnfields that will literally smoke any core 2 or quad core in single or multithreaded performance. Lynnfields are not top of line processors, they are mainstream (so the price will be low), but they will be a definite improvemente over core 2 duo and core 2 quad.
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-09, 04:18 PM   #18
porphy
Commodore

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Task Force View Post
someone has made a program that allows you to run 2 cpus in dcs blackshark.

yepp, but remember you only will see benefits in Vista or Windows 7. XP will not give any better performance with more cores in Black Shark.

"A paranoid is simply someone in possession of all the facts."
W. B.
porphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-09, 05:39 PM   #19
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldorak View Post
Building a new computer right now is a bad move, especially if you're going the Intel route. By September Intel will present the new Lynnfields that will literally smoke any core 2 or quad core in single or multithreaded performance. Lynnfields are not top of line processors, they are mainstream (so the price will be low), but they will be a definite improvemente over core 2 duo and core 2 quad.
Still look more expensive than current CPUs

The thing is I can always wait for the newest shiny CPU to come out...result, will never have a new PC.
Old 07-21-09, 06:19 PM   #20
goldorak
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by XabbaRus View Post
Still look more expensive than current CPUs

The thing is I can always wait for the newest shiny CPU to come out...result, will never have a new PC.

No, the secret is to buy at the right time to maximize performance and minimize the aumount of money you spend. And that time is september. For the same amount of money you'll spend on a core 2 duo or core 2 quad right now, you'll get a Lynnfield that not only will be better than the old c2d or c2d in multithread, but most importantly they will be better in single thread. Some classic games are not multithreaded, so they gain performance by using high clocked cpu's. The Lynnfields will have an automatic overclock that will enable in certain circumstances to increase its frequency by 40-50%. Thats nothing to sneer at, especially if you're a gamer.
Lynnfields are going to replace c2d and c2q at the same pricepoints if not less.
Old 07-21-09, 06:24 PM   #21
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Mobo is the key. Buy a good one with a good warrenty.

Make sure it's CPU socket will be upgradeable in the future.

Mobo's with a 775 socket in the past could use a single core 3.0 , duo core and quadcore for Intel.

Antec 900 or 1200 case should answer all your future needs with good cooling. 500 watt psu with 30 to 40 amps at rail.

Then buy the best CPU that will fit that socket. You can upgrade in the future.

Ram is so cheap you figure it out.

Good Luck

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-09, 09:06 PM   #22
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Double tap

Last edited by SUBMAN1; 07-23-09 at 08:15 PM.
SUBMAN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-09, 09:08 PM   #23
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by XabbaRus View Post
Well I was on DABS.com and overclockers.co.uk and Core Quads are £250
Go for an AMD. You can buy one for pretty cheap comparatively.

I saw Core i7 for $260 (way less than your price) a little while back. They may be less now.

4850 Vid cards are down to $100!!! Rediculous!

Some good info for helping you on a budget:
Best Graphics Cards For The Money: July '09:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...card,2362.html

Far Cry is probably what you should base your CPU opinion on if you primarily use it for gaming:
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2....0.1,1401.html

Here is $180 for a 940. This price could probably be beat too pretty easily. Use the 945 score from the chart above (same CPU, just different socket - AM2+ vs AM3):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103471

-S
Old 07-22-09, 02:49 AM   #24
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

I must admit I'm with Goldorak.

Lynnfield will run on yet another new socket, LGA 1156. It's a direct replacement for the current Penryns. By the time supply is steady, costs should be the same for Lynnfield CPU + P55 board as you would pay now for Penryn + board. It's worth holding out for, but probably means waiting till Q4 before you buy.

The biggest problem moving to i7 right know is that the boards cost 2x as much. 150,- for a basic board, 200,- for a good one. Add 230,- for the 920, and most of the budget is gone already.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-09, 02:10 AM   #25
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

Hmm for that amount of money truth is you can build yourself a very decent rig!

all I can say is pick teh mobo right go for all solid capacitors!!! I'm using Gigabyte's mobo with all solid capacitors. It's supposed to extend its lifetime. I can always go back and kill the vendor if it doesn't :rotfl:
Old 07-23-09, 06:53 AM   #26
goldorak
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castout View Post
Hmm for that amount of money truth is you can build yourself a very decent rig!

all I can say is pick teh mobo right go for all solid capacitors!!! I'm using Gigabyte's mobo with all solid capacitors. It's supposed to extend its lifetime. I can always go back and kill the vendor if it doesn't :rotfl:
Having solid caps is not a guarantee for reliability.
Many workstation and server boards use electrolytic caps and they are as reliable or even more as the all 100% solid caps motherboards.
Don't buy into the marketing snake oil, whats important is quality caps, either electrolytic or solid.
Old 07-23-09, 08:17 PM   #27
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldorak View Post
Having solid caps is not a guarantee for reliability.
Many workstation and server boards use electrolytic caps and they are as reliable or even more as the all 100% solid caps motherboards.
Don't buy into the marketing snake oil, whats important is quality caps, either electrolytic or solid.
Except when they leak and destroy your computer:

They are cheap though. So if you like cheap and adequate, there ya go.

Solid caps have better stability too. BTW, Gigabyte doesn't buy Chinese garbage for caps either - they are Japanese caps. It is always going to be 100 x better quality control for Japanese made parts over Chinese. Japan usually has honor in what they produce (unless you buy Sony). The Chinese however, really don't care. They can accept some failures in the name of mass production. All is good until these cheap caps leak all over your motherboard and your motherboard is rendered useless because of it.

Just my 2 cents.

-S
Old 08-01-09, 09:00 AM   #28
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Xabba,

take note of Ssnakes answers in the 5th or 6nd reply.

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/...ad.php?t=13586

I have asked at subsim some time ago, now there at SBP boards, and several people in real life as well. I still cannot beolieve how many very different, even contradicting answers I have gotten. But if it is how ssnake says, it should be taken into account: there is little reason then to buy a quad if you do not plan to get software optimised for that. Probably better to got for a duo - but that with as many GHz as your budget allows.
Old 08-01-09, 11:32 AM   #29
stabiz
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 14

I went with the E8500 Core 2 Duo because I wanted a strong CPU when playing single core games, and I am happy with it. Much better than my old E6600.
Old 08-01-09, 01:25 PM   #30
goldorak
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBMAN1 View Post
Except when they leak and destroy your computer:

They are cheap though. So if you like cheap and adequate, there ya go.

Solid caps have better stability too. BTW, Gigabyte doesn't buy Chinese garbage for caps either - they are Japanese caps. It is always going to be 100 x better quality control for Japanese made parts over Chinese. Japan usually has honor in what they produce (unless you buy Sony). The Chinese however, really don't care. They can accept some failures in the name of mass production. All is good until these cheap caps leak all over your motherboard and your motherboard is rendered useless because of it.

Just my 2 cents.

-S
What about japanese quality electrolytic caps ? Really the question is not whether to use solid or electrolytic, as if solid caps were somehow instrinsically more secure because they are not (on the [H]ard|Forum there are images of Nvidia video cards with failing SOLID CAPS how about that ?) . They fail just as easily.
Its just a myth the motherboard manufacturers have been "pushing" to justify higher prices and terrorize the consumers with the "experience of bad mobos dieing in the early 2000 because of bad quality control con electrolytic caps".
My stereo rig has high quality electrolytic caps, and it has been going strong for almost 20 years.
Motherboards wether using electrolytic or solid caps won't last that long because of technological obsolescense.
My last 2 intel motherboards (top of the line) use eletrolytic caps and have absolutely no problem whatsoever (one is almost 6 years old, and the other is going on 3 years).